turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ms 2023 Spring Turkey Season

Started by Old Timer53, July 27, 2022, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer53

Ms 2023 Spring Turkey Season and bag limit to remain the same as last year  !!!

TurkeyReaper69

Kudos to MDWFP for not giving into the arm-chair biologists and non-killers whining they can't kill a bird and blaming it on populations. Sure wish Tennessee's wildlife commission would've heeded to the advice of the TWRA rather than giving into the angry mob of Chamberlites and the court of public opinion.

joey46

I' m sure Florida's FWC won't restrict non-res in any way.  It's well into the :deadhorse: category down here.   Still no fan of any State restricting the National Forest to any legal resident of the USA.  Makes them only "kinda" National Forest.

wchadw

As a life long MS resident, i think they should have changed the season to mirror surrounding states.  there is a massive influx of out of state hunters from surrounding states in March

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: wchadw on July 27, 2022, 03:25:15 PM
As a life long MS resident, i think they should have changed the season to mirror surrounding states.  there is a massive influx of out of state hunters from surrounding states in March
I agree, and you can bet plenty of the non residents will draw. Neither me, my brother or nephew drew public land this last season.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

3bailey3

Ms resident also and I have wanted the season pushed back for some time now but the last few years I have i have killed the first few days..

Stoeger_bird

And what happens when those same states move their seasons back again?
T.W.D.W.D.

wchadw

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 27, 2022, 06:57:50 PM
I'd be fine with MS doing same. Right now MS opens 2 weeks before LA AL TN AR and hunters from all neighboring states run over to MS so they can hunt.  A couple of those states didn't do anything in their state and the hunting there has suffered greatly due to over harvesting and poor production of young birds

I'd also be fine with lowering bag limit

Is there anyone on this thread that lives in MS that likes them keeping season same??

I'm 50 and the turkey population all over the state in my opinion has severely declined since the 90s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk of

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: wchadw on July 27, 2022, 07:12:43 PM
I'd be fine with MS doing same. Right now MS opens 2 weeks before LA AL TN AR and hunters from all neighboring states run over to MS so they can hunt.  A couple of those states didn't do anything in their state and the hunting there has suffered greatly due to over harvesting and poor production of young birds

Is there anyone on this thread that lives in MS that likes them keeping season same??

I'm 50 and the turkey population all over the state in my opinion has severely declined since the 90s

So what about the people in south MS where the first part of the season is often times the best part and later is the season the birds are mostly done with breeding?
T.W.D.W.D.

Howie g

Season should be pushed back 2 weeks IMO

wchadw

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 28, 2022, 09:29:52 AM
Quote from: wchadw on July 27, 2022, 07:12:43 PM

So what about the people in south MS where the first part of the season is often times the best part and later is the season the birds are mostly done with breeding?
I'm in central MS so won't be much different. It will give birds time to breed without pressure

So I've seen you applauding GA and AL for changing their season. What is the difference?

Are you a Mississippi resident? Or an out of state hunter??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoeger_bird

I have applouded states for taking action to better the hunting for their residents. Pushing back of seasonS has no proof of helping breeding. Thats a theory push by chamberlain that he doesn't even have scientific evidence that it works.  At no point should a state take away the opportunities of residents before taking action against non residents. If it's to crowded the first part of season because of the influx nonresident hunters then push back the start date for nonresidents first before taking away from all.
T.W.D.W.D.

wchadw

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 28, 2022, 03:02:03 PM
I have applouded states for taking action to better the hunting for their residents. Pushing back of seasonS has no proof of helping breeding. Thats a theory push by chamberlain that he doesn't even have scientific evidence that it works.  At no point should a state take away the opportunities of residents before taking action against non residents. If it's to crowded the first part of season because of the influx nonresident hunters then push back the start date for nonresidents first before taking away from all.

So... what's the difference in AL? Did they not change their season?  I agree, states should focus on opportunity for state resident hunters.

I disagree that hunting pressure doesn't interrupt breeding.  dominance is established before breeding starts.  if dominant bird is killed, the cycle starts over for hens to decide which tom to breed.

Stoeger_bird

What proof out there, besides one fame seeking biologist
that wants to prove his theory is right, that says disrupting the breeding process in the early part of the season is a major factor in the turkeys decline? Matter of fact look at the states that have pushed their seasons back? Are u seeing this great rebound in populations? Nope. Its all about predators not some theory about dominant birds getting killed to early.
T.W.D.W.D.

wchadw

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 28, 2022, 04:42:32 PM
What proof out there, besides one fame seeking biologist
that wants to prove his theory is right, that says disrupting the breeding process in the early part of the season is a major factor in the turkeys decline? Matter of fact look at the states that have pushed their seasons back? Are u seeing this great rebound in populations? Nope. Its all about predators not some theory about dominant birds getting killed to early.
Only states I know of is AL and TN and they just did it.
Not saying that's only reason but it has some effects

So what's difference in AL? That you were saying is great vs MS? AL pushed their season back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk