OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question on dogs (Update)......

Started by Reloader, June 16, 2011, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I lost a good dog, Brownie, two weeks ago to a snake bite and now her life long buddy, Patch, seems to have given up.  It makes me think of "Where the red fern grows" sort of.  They were together for 10 years.  Patch doesn't want to eat, she just lays down all day, and the last couple days she's been very stove up when she does move around.  

I'm going to take her to the Vet tom and see what they say, but I just don't know that they will have a cure for heart ache.

Have any of you had this happen?

Thanks,

Reloader

guesswho

Going through it right now with my Dobe.  I had three then lost one last June, then another this past April.  Now the one we have left acts like he doesn't know what to do.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

I believe dogs grieve right along with us.When we had to put down Josephine ,George just kinda laid around looking bummed out. He perked up when we brought Willie home. Now that George is gone, Willie seems a bit lost.

mnturkey

I think dogs know when something happens to their "pack" weather it is the humans in their pack or the animals in their pack.
I travel for work and my dog knows when I am leaving for a extended stay.
He also knows when I am coming back, my wife says he perks up the day I am coming back.
We sometimes forget that they sense things different then we do.
SEMPER FI

mossy835

I believe the sixth sense they have is always alert and I know they feel loss similar to what we feel. Yes they are pack animals and they sense when things are not right but that is what makes them unique and so able to capture a place in our hearts as mans best friend. I hope you find an answer to help your dog cope.
:jesus-cross:

barry

Quote from: redarrow on June 16, 2011, 10:44:21 AM
I believe dogs grieve right along with us.When we had to put down Josephine ,George just kinda laid around looking bummed out. He perked up when we brought Willie home. Now that George is gone, Willie seems a bit lost.

Dogs do indeed grieve, whether it be over the loss of a mate or an owner. For example...
We had a dog that went with me everywhere on the farm before I was injured, he would even ride to town with me in the truck. When I was injured I was in the hospital for 12 weeks, my parents said that dog laid in the driveway every morning for weeks waiting for me to come to work.

tra_cline

The only cure for a grieving pet that has lost a running mate is to introduce it to a new running mate. Sounds like it's time for a new puppy.

Reloader

Man, I'm glad I took Patch in. She wasn't just grieving, she had a massive infection in her uterous and is now in emergency surgery.

They found a damn 22cal pellet in her stomach as well.  I'd like to find the bastard that shot her. The Vet said she could get the pellet out when she goes in.

I hope she comes out ok, my wife is going to be a basket case if we lose 2 in two weeks.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

sugarray

Dag gone, glad you took her in.  Hope all works out well.

guesswho

Any idea who shot her?  I'd ask the vet for the bullet.

I hope everything works out ok.  It takes a sorry SOB to shoot a mans dog.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Reloader

I don't have a clue.  She's been in my back yard for years with just walks on the leash.  She got to rome a few times at my inlaws out in the country about 8 years ago, so I'm thinking it had to happen then. I found her as a pup at a construction site covered in what seemed like thousands of fleas, but she was so little I probably would have seen the wound.  Weird deal as I never remember her having a wound or acting hurt.

The Vet said she sees bullets in pets all the time on xrays.  I looked at the xray and you can tell it's a 22cal air rifle pellet right behind the ribs and penetrated about 1/2 way through.

Yep, sorry sucker to do that.

Just got word, she cleared the surgery just fine and is in recovery.

Thanks,

Reloader

guesswho

Good news!  Maybe she will perk up now when she gets home.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Gobble!

Glad to hear things are going good For her so far. I will keep my fingers crossed.  I was never really a dog guy till this past year. I used to make fun of people who cared that deeply for what was just an animal in my mind. I now have a mastiff and a Shepard and can't imagine how upset I'm going to be when I lose one.

catdaddy

Quote from: Reloader on June 17, 2011, 05:31:59 PM
I don't have a clue.  She's been in my back yard for years with just walks on the leash.  She got to rome a few times at my inlaws out in the country about 8 years ago, so I'm thinking it had to happen then. I found her as a pup at a construction site covered in what seemed like thousands of fleas, but she was so little I probably would have seen the wound.  Weird deal as I never remember her having a wound or acting hurt.

The Vet said she sees bullets in pets all the time on xrays.  I looked at the xray and you can tell it's a 22cal air rifle pellet right behind the ribs and penetrated about 1/2 way through.

Yep, sorry sucker to do that.

Just got word, she cleared the surgery just fine and is in recovery.

Thanks,

Reloader

Sorry to hear somebody shot your dog. Unfortunately, there are some unashamed pet shooters out there. There was a thread on here not long ago with folks bragging about shooting dogs.   

mossy835

Glad she came through surgery okay. She is lucky to have someone that care sand takes care of her.l
:jesus-cross: