OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Disturbing sight this morning

Started by RutnNStrutn, July 13, 2022, 10:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I got a visit from 6 hens this morning. Between them there wasn't a single poult. That's quite disturbing. Now that TN has changed it's predator laws, I'm going to have to step up my game,

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Jimspur

That's pretty sad. I saw 3 adult hens yesterday with 15 poults between them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Jimspur on July 13, 2022, 10:41:16 AM
That's pretty sad. I saw 3 adult hens yesterday with 15 poults between them.
Last summer we had 4 hens with 18 poults. We watched them grow all summer and into the fall. They didn't lose a single poult. This summer I have yet to see the first poult. That's why it's so distressing. All I know is some nest raiders are going to die.

eggshell

I have seen two clutches so far, but couldn't get a count. I do have a count on how many raccoons have died mysteriously on my place though. The traps have been empty for a few days...yipee that means the little bastards are getting thinned down.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: eggshell on July 13, 2022, 11:42:25 AM
I do have a count on how many raccoons have died mysteriously on my place though. The traps have been empty for a few days...yipee that means the little bastards are getting thinned down.

crow

Talked to a friend in E. Tn yesterday,

they had just seen 2 hens together with a total of 9 pouts between them

Zobo

I saw two hens with one poult in my backyard this morning and I thought that was
depressing.  :morning:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Mossberg90MN

Unfortunately I haven't seen 1 poult yet. I've seen some lone hens but, no poults.

I haven't been going into the woods though... this is all in suburban areas that I'm referring too.

I normally see at least some poults though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Maybe the glass is still half full. Playing on the average nest success stats there should be 3 hens around somewhere with broods and haven't shown themselves yet. Keep your eyes peeled. My fingers are crossed for you!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 13, 2022, 07:27:49 PM
Maybe the glass is still half full. Playing on the average nest success stats there should be 3 hens around somewhere with broods and haven't shown themselves yet. Keep your eyes peeled. My fingers are crossed for you!
Thanks!!
I haven't given up yet but it's definitely discouraging.

nativeks

I have done 300 miles of gravel on my bike in the last 4 weeks. No poults. In my driving no poults. My trail cams havent showed any poults. We did get rain and flooding at the worst possible time so I think we lost alot of nests.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

btomlin

I have 2 hens with 9 poults that come through the yard every few days.  I'm hoping the trapping I have done around the house on the bobcats and raccoons will pay off and they will make it.

zelmo1

We are way off here too, not dry, but 1/3 of previous years

RutnNStrutn

I've been seeing some hens down the road with poults, but still none yet on my place.

ol bob

Not seen a hen with poults in over 3 years.