turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wingbone mouthpiece alteration

Started by barry, June 08, 2022, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Years ago I saw where someone filled the end of a gobbler bone mouthpiece bone with epoxy and drilled a small hole in it to simulate air flow that he would get with a trumpet.
Have any of you done this?

ChesterCopperpot

Never seen it. Never done it. But I've seen lots of gobbler radiuses that were too stinking big to get good sound. Might work similarly to lining one. Imagine you could epoxy an inch or so in and drill to a smaller diameter and it might sound pretty good. Don't imagine you could fill the entire bone and drill out because of the curve. Be worth trying for sure. I've got a bunch of gobbler radiuses saved up that are way too big to use as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

I'm not an expert, but on one of the calls I just made I did epoxy a small piece of bone inside the mouthpiece to reduce how much air it took to run it. You couldn't see it when it was done, it sounded better and did make it easier to use.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

barry

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 08, 2022, 10:13:52 AM
Never seen it. Never done it. But I've seen lots of gobbler radiuses that were too stinking big to get good sound. Might work similarly to lining one. Imagine you could epoxy an inch or so in and drill to a smaller diameter and it might sound pretty good. Don't imagine you could fill the entire bone and drill out because of the curve. Be worth trying for sure. I've got a bunch of gobbler radiuses saved up that are way too big to use as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I have some big gobbler bones that I can't call thru

barry

Quote from: lacire on June 08, 2022, 11:33:46 AM
I'm not an expert, but on one of the calls I just made I did epoxy a small piece of bone inside the mouthpiece to reduce how much air it took to run it. You couldn't see it when it was done, it sounded better and did make it easier to use.

I have some smaller bones that I could do that with. How long of a piece did you glue in?
Got any pics?

lacire

Quote from: barry on June 08, 2022, 04:30:46 PM

I have some smaller bones that I could do that with. How long of a piece did you glue in?
Got any pics?

I didn't take any pictures of it and I've already given it away. It was a very small piece of bone that I epoxied in the mouthpiece and you couldn't tell it was there, probably made the opening 25-30% smaller, it did make a marked difference in how much air it took to run it.

barry

Quote from: lacire on June 08, 2022, 05:51:46 PM
Quote from: barry on June 08, 2022, 04:30:46 PM

Got any pics?

I didn't take any pictures of it and I've already given it away. It was a very small piece of bone that I epoxied in the mouthpiece and you couldn't tell it was there, probably made the opening 25-30% smaller, it did make a marked difference in how much air it took to run it.

Did you put it in flush with the big bone or leave some sticking out?

lacire

I put the small piece of bone down through the mouthpiece with a pair of fine pointed tweezers, nothing was sticking out, you couldn't tell unless you looked down through the opening and then it was still very hard to see it, it just blended in. I never did this but I was just thinking, you might be able to use a small piece of blue tack removable putty in the opening to experiment with what size you would need to reduce it to.

barry

Quote from: lacire on June 08, 2022, 06:57:51 PM
I put the small piece of bone down through the mouthpiece with a pair of fine pointed tweezers, nothing was sticking out, you couldn't tell unless you looked down through the opening and then it was still very hard to see it, it just blended in. I never did this but I was just thinking, you might be able to use a small piece of blue tack removable putty in the opening to experiment with what size you would need to reduce it to.

Thanks!