OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ol Tom Gunslinger/ Nomad Pursuit/ Grounded Impact

Started by Texan1894, June 02, 2022, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texan1894

Looking for input on these 3 vest. I have a Nomad Bull Lounger and it's just a little heavier than what I'm wanting. Any help is appreciated!

Tom007

I have heard great reviews on the Grounded vest. I hear it has a better seat, and has plenty of room for calls. Can't speak about the others, but looking at the Grounded, it would be my choice....good luck...

Sixes

I used the Grounded this past spring and had 0 issues with the vest. I really like the deep pockets and not having zippers all over the vest. Simple, easy zipper opening  to deep pockets on the outside and the inside mesh. The vest sits slightly higher and wears really good. As far as the seat, I never used it as I keep a Hunt Comfort Fatboy seat in the back to sit when it is needed or I  use a chair if I am setting up to hunt for the evening or a certain spot. I didn't use the box call holder, so no opinion there.

Excellent layout for me and everything is secured very well. I'm also a bigger guy and the vest still had a lot of extra room.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Sixes on June 02, 2022, 08:08:29 PM
I used the Grounded this past spring and had 0 issues with the vest. I really like the deep pockets and not having zippers all over the vest. Simple, easy zipper opening  to deep pockets on the outside and the inside mesh. The vest sits slightly higher and wears really good. As far as the seat, I never used it as I keep a Hunt Comfort Fatboy seat in the back to sit when it is needed or I  use a chair if I am setting up to hunt for the evening or a certain spot. I didn't use the box call holder, so no opinion there.

Excellent layout for me and everything is secured very well. I'm also a bigger guy and the vest still had a lot of extra room.

I don't use a box call and find the verticle box call holder on my vest the perfect place for a can of bug spray.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cottonmouth

I just got a gunslinger the other day. I put all my gear in it and still have a ton of empty pockets. It should be the ticket for hot weather seeing that it doesn't have the huge back pads like alot of vests. The only thing I have found that I don't like about it is the locator call lanyards on the front will rattle due to the plastic clip is attached to a plastic loop. I just took it off and tied my crow call to the ring with some black braided line I use for trotlines. Everything else I really like.

skimerhorn

I liked the grounded. I used it this spring with no issue. I actually like it a lio better then the alps

ncturkey

I like the Ole Tom gunslinger and the Grounded Impact vest look great.
Alps make a Impact Vest. I thought that was what you were referring to.

Zobo

I use an ol Tom vest and while it has some faults, I do find it to be lighter in weight than other brands. It's the main reason I bought it. People get caught up in the features and pockets but weight is very important in a vest.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Mossberg90MN

I've seen the gunslinger vest a handful of times at my local sporting goods store (Scheels) and just recently at Cabelas.

I'm on the fence about this one myself but what keeps me away from it is the seat is thin, and there no good back padding.

As someone mentioned it is lightweight, and that's definitely a plus. But the thought of sitting down for more then 30 min is gonna be painful.

I may pull the trigger myself on the easy rider... maybe... would have to upgrade the seat.

Checked out the Pursuit at the same location and  multiple times (every time I go in the store pretty much) the seat cushion was also not the best and the vest itself seemed a little heavy and bulky.

Can't speak on the grounded vest... I'm definitely interested in one myself. But I always run back to my Cabelas vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcobb

Has anyone else had problems loosing strikers with the ol tom gunslinger. I couldn't seem too keep the magnetic flaps to stay closed. Lost 2 strikers this spring.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

PALongspur

I wish the Gunslinger had been made out of the same ripstop material used on the Easy Rider. I also wish they'd offer multiple sizes.

Zobo

Quote from: pcobb on June 03, 2022, 12:09:51 PM
Has anyone else had problems loosing strikers with the ol tom gunslinger. I couldn't seem too keep the magnetic flaps to stay closed. Lost 2 strikers this spring.

I dont have the gunslinger, but I have used an ol Tom for the last 10-12 years I think it's been. I HIGHLY recommend you modify your striker pocket sleeves. I cut the useless magnets out and replaced them with buttons, MUCH more secure (I have lost too many strikers before the buttons). Magnets are a bad idea that ol Tom should abandon in my opinion.  I put buttons on my box call sleeves and pot call pockets too.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Wigsplitter

I have used grounded vest for 2 seasons now- has plenty of adjustment and seat is great with a strong magnet- a little bit heavy if you load all the pockets it has but has been a great vest - straps will loosen every 3-4 trips but a pull will get them back in place and it could be stopped by sewing the adjustment straps if you didn't plan on growing any more ????- only other minor knock I have is when sitting vest straps ride/ poke up and buckle on straps is right at gun stock level and will make contact and possibly a little noise - I'm working on a modification for that with some moleskin or sewing in direct and taking buckles out or moving to bottom

lunghit

Quote from: Zobo on June 03, 2022, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: pcobb on June 03, 2022, 12:09:51 PM

I dont have the gunslinger, but I have used an ol Tom for the last 10-12 years I think it's been. I HIGHLY recommend you modify your striker pocket sleeves. I cut the useless magnets out and replaced them with buttons, MUCH more secure (I have lost too many strikers before the buttons). Magnets are a bad idea that ol Tom should abandon in my opinion.  I put buttons on my box call sleeves and pot call pockets too.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Very nice mod. Great idea.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Dtrkyman

Grounded vest is too heavy, the Nomad vest I did not like the position of the chest pouches, my buddy was going to give me a brand new one and I tried it on and handed it back to him.

Haven't handled the ol tom but it looks too bulky for me?  Not sure the weigh?

I know my RNG 200 with my calls in it is lighter than the grounded empty!