OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rangefinders

Started by Sir-diealot, June 02, 2022, 09:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

As I am getting older I am finding my already lousy eyes are having a very difficult time judging distance. I took a shot this year that I truly thought was under 35 yards but when paced it turned out to be close to 60 so now I have decided I need to get a rangefinder. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for ones under $250.00 that would work short ranges for turkey and archery as well as for longer ranges for deer. I don't generally shoot deer over 100 yards even with my 30.06 I am simply not a great shot. Oh I would like it to be magnified as well, I don't want to carry both binoculars and a rangefinder. Thank you for any help offered.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeybutt

Steve in that price range I would look at:
Vortex Range Finders, Leupold RX-1200i Rangefinder or the Upland Optics Perception 1000 Laser Rangefinder
I use Vortex products so I can't speak for Leupold or Upland Optics but I see they both have good reviews.

Yoder409

I have a Bushnell Chuck Adams model I've carried bowhunting and turkey hunting for over a decade.  It's been WONDERFUL.

I don't know what that model translates into today's Bushnell line. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

sswv

I've owned about every brand out there and I decided on a Leupold but, the Vortex is worth every penny. With that being said, some of the cheaper offerings will do the job just fine. I carried a Simmons for years and it never let me down.

guesswho

For what you need them for I'd check Ebay (hunting) even a used one.    Probably save a lot of $$$$.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

I'd watch Bass Pro and Cabelas for sales. Most any would work for what you need and that's one item they almost always put on sale. They'll surely have an Independence Day sale coming up. I bought a Sig rangefinder from them years ago on sale and got it for very cheap. It's been incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I'm considering one too.  Most have 6X magnification, which would eliminate binos.  I'm looking at the Tidewe for about $70.  It does the angle calculation for treestand bow hunters.  And they are usually lighter than even a very compact set of binos.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

Like mentioned above, look at Ebay for a used one. I picked up a used Nikon 500 5-6 years ago on there for $50. I changed the battery, put it my vest and that's where it stays. I check the battery every spring when I'm getting my gear ready and it's still on the same battery I put in it when I got it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 02, 2022, 10:28:41 AM
Steve in that price range I would look at:
Vortex Range Finders, Leupold RX-1200i Rangefinder or the Upland Optics Perception 1000 Laser Rangefinder
I use Vortex products so I can't speak for Leupold or Upland Optics but I see they both have good reviews.
Thanks bud, I was just holding one still in the box though yesterday, within my price range for sure. I just hate that Nikon went the way they went, I always bought their products and now I have to find the equal and I am having a hard time doing it. I will look into both those items though, hope to get to handle one before I buy, wish BPS was closer.

Quote from: Yoder409 on June 02, 2022, 10:32:08 AM
I have a Bushnell Chuck Adams model I've carried bowhunting and turkey hunting for over a decade.  It's been WONDERFUL.

I don't know what that model translates into today's Bushnell line. 
I know there was a time that Bushnell was a good product, not sure about now though, I have friends that have gone through a lot of their scopes so that worries me about their quality control. I will give them a fair looking into though, the one friend is not exactly delicate with what he owns, that's for sure!

Quote from: sswv on June 02, 2022, 10:35:01 AM
I've owned about every brand out there and I decided on a Leupold but, the Vortex is worth every penny. With that being said, some of the cheaper offerings will do the job just fine. I carried a Simmons for years and it never let me down.
Thanks bud, I am not stuck to one brand (Now that Nikon is out) I had thought about a Swarski* but I think it may be more than I need and they command quite the dollar and for good reason. A lot of it will come down to warranty for me, that's always a big one for me.

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 02, 2022, 10:52:41 AM
I'd watch Bass Pro and Cabelas for sales. Most any would work for what you need and that's one item they almost always put on sale. They'll surely have an Independence Day sale coming up. I bought a Sig rangefinder from them years ago on sale and got it for very cheap. It's been incredible.

I am thinking on that, I am always nervous about used electronics to be honest with you, but with my budget that may well be the best way to go, I would have to be sure of the persons feedback for sure. I will watch those sales, July-September is my timeline, I have to let the budget recover a month after turkey season and the dog needs to go to the groomer and vet's this month, she comes before toys.

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 02, 2022, 10:54:55 AM
I'm considering one too.  Most have 6X magnification, which would eliminate binos.  I'm looking at the Tidewe for about $70.  It does the angle calculation for treestand bow hunters.  And they are usually lighter than even a very compact set of binos.

I have not heard of Tidewe before but will look into them, thanks for the information.

Quote from: captpete on June 02, 2022, 04:03:06 PM
Like mentioned above, look at Ebay for a used one. I picked up a used Nikon 500 5-6 years ago on there for $50. I changed the battery, put it my vest and that's where it stays. I check the battery every spring when I'm getting my gear ready and it's still on the same battery I put in it when I got it.

I truly loved my Nikon products, scopes, binocs and so on, I was also looking at one of their cameras quite seriously at one time. Still thinking on a camera but I hate the idea of it but they have some of the best waterproof cameras and lenses in the business especially when it comes to mirrorless cameras which is what I have now not to mention some of the best optics in lenses. I went to their site and looked at their rangefinders but they are all yuppy golf ones now.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

troutfisher13111

If warranty is a big concern, go vortex. Their $200 model will do all you want it to and more and their warranty is 100%

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Terry on June 02, 2022, 07:35:41 PM
If warranty is a big concern, go vortex. Their $200 model will do all you want it to and more and their warranty is 100%

Define 100% please.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Turkeybutt

Steve Vortex Customer Service is great!
I lost the rubber lens cover off my Vortex Venom Red Dot and I gave them a call to buy a replacement cover. They sent me two replacement covers plus a Vortex hat and Tee shirt at no charge..
Additionally I had a Vortex range finder that somehow was missing a screw. The screw wasn't anything that compromised the range finder in anyway. it was just one of two or three screws that held the belt clip on. I called Vortex to get a screw and was told they would have a new range finder in the mail to me at no charge and when I received it to ship the one missing the screw back to them.
Very friendly, very helpful and always understanding. Great people to do business with!

Mossberg90MN

I bought this Leupold this year.

https://www.scheels.com/p/leupold-rx-1400i-tbr-laser-rangefinder/03031702640.html#q=range%2Bfinder&lang=en_US&start=4

Great quality range finder, compact, lightweight, easy target acquisition. I compared a handful of rangefinder in the price bracket of pretty much $180-$250 and found this one to be perfect for the price and what your getting. It's more then perfect for turkey hunting and bow hunting, and can reach out there if need be.

Not to mention it fits perfect in my vest.

Mossberg90MN

I would also like to mention I am brand partial to Vortex. But after comparing this Leupold to the competing Vortex models, I had to go with this one.

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com