OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What states should be on a bucket list?

Started by turkeyhuntermag, May 29, 2022, 10:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Zobo

This forum is the best. It's opinions are mearly a reflection on what's happening in the fields, woods and parking lots across our country right now.  I too was surprised at first with some if the strong responses that have developed over the past few years on this topic. But I've come to understand and respect those opinions. After all, many hunters do not have the luxury or wherewithal to travel about to hunt. Their own state is all they have, so I personally cannot blame them for being protective of it.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

crow

Quote from: joey46 on May 30, 2022, 08:59:08 PM
Consider us chastised :turkey2:

Not,

even if he is not cyber scouting there are enough that will be.

Wigsplitter

I'm with gooserbat- Arkansas- I live in Arkansas and he is right - kill one here you are good bout anywhere in the country!!  Good hunting!!

GobbleNut

Quote from: turkeyhuntermag on May 30, 2022, 08:16:55 PM
Hi all, thanks for your responses. The thread didn't really go as intended. I just wanted to hear some good things about places some of you may have been to. I had/have no intentions of racing to someone's secret spot or plan to invade a particular state just because somebody said something good about it. I hunt in Georgia and Pennsylvania and am perfectly content to hunt the birds here. It's a shame when we've reached a point when people aren't open enough to even mention a "state" for fear that there may be some sort of competitive edge lost. After 38 years of chasing turkeys, I don't need the advice of needing "cyberscouting" or any of that. It was a post to mainly get people to respond to in hopes that others would jump in and give their reasons for a different place being their favorite. I don't mind a little ribbing or anything like that, but realize that this forum really isn't what I'd hoped it would be. Thanks.

First of all, congratulations on your magazine and best of luck with it. (Hopefully, you are aware that there was, at one time, another magazine with the title "Turkey Hunter Magazine" and that you have verified that there are no copyright infringement issues that lay ahead for you). 

Secondly, although your request that folks post their wish list of turkey hunting destinations was, at first glance, rather innocuous, the debate regarding the impacts of internet "cyberscouting" has been ongoing for quite some time now on this site and most likely many, if not all, others of similar nature.  I would think you would want to have your "finger on the pulse" of what is happening in the turkey hunting world in terms of what you deem appropriate to include in your magazine in the future.  The responses you have received to your initial request here should give you some insight as to what information you publish (these responses are probably only a small sampling of what you can expect if you start promoting turkey hunting destinations as part of your magazine content.  That is unfortunate, but that is the reality we face nowadays). 

The reality is that turkey hunting, and spring gobbler hunting in particular, has become a "fad" across the country.  That is a good thing for your magazine's future, but it has not been such a good thing for the quality of turkey hunting in many locations, especially on public lands.  In addition, the impacts of the increased hunting pressure on our turkey populations, although yet to be completely defined, appears to be significant. 

The bottom line for me is that you should view this thread as a learning experience as to the mind-set of those of us that are avid turkey hunters.  We are your future customers.  You should take note of what we are concerned about and try to avoid exacerbating those concerns in your publication.  That word of advice should be viewed as something that is in your best interest, and nothing more. 

Even though your introduction to our OG crowd may appear to have been a little "rocky", there are lots of good folks on this site who would wish you success in your endeavor and will likely be enthusiastic supporters.  You may also find that you will get a lot of ideas here as to topics you might include in the magazine. (You might also find some aspiring authors here that might be willing to contribute to your publication!   ;D )

Again, best of luck to you!   :icon_thumright:

Mountainburd

Excellent post gobblenut. Apparently some folks on here have perceived me as not having a sense of humor based on this thread, which in reality, is far from the truth. If I came across that way or overly critical of members I apologize.

I guess I still don't see how naming a state you wish to hunt will adversely affect the hunting in that state. WAY different than naming a specific area in a state where you killed or had success. Apples and oranges.

But as Gobblenut stated, the sport has very much become a fad for some which has impacted the hunting nationwide.

Regardless, I always enjoy a good discussion on here and not a fan of arguing. Enjoy the off season and let's hope for the best next season.

runngun

Absolutely want nothing but the best for you, Mr Stover. There's an awful lot of very smart people on THIS Forum. Fellowship with the members here is like Family. So many years of experience and knowledge right here. Just take a look at the "call section", gun section and all of the many other features.
The members here have seen 1st hand what happens when an area get exposed. And yes, even mentioning a state, has been decided against. Loose Lips, sinks ships. I experienced this 20 years ago with duck hunting a mid-west state. All was great, could knock on doors and farmers would actually give us shells just to try and keep the ducks and geese. Off of their fields. Ducks Unlimited came in and published ONE article on the area, and it's ruined. Big Money came in and leased all of the land. And what was leased the small area of public land, PACKED OUT!!
We really want you to be successful with the magazine. I don't think for one second that anyone here is trying to hurt you. This is a passion that we all share. We all have a stake in the future of turkey hunting. We are struggling to find answers to what is happening to turkey populations all over this great Country. If you will look back at posts by members here in the last 4 months you can see this has been discussed. Some members not filling tags because they don't want to decrease the population.
No harm, No FOWL.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

redleg06

Hi all, thanks for your responses. The thread didn't really go as intended. I just wanted to hear some good things about places some of you may have been to. I had/have no intentions of racing to someone's secret spot or plan to invade a particular state just because somebody said something good about it. I hunt in Georgia and Pennsylvania and am perfectly content to hunt the birds here. It's a shame when we've reached a point when people aren't open enough to even mention a "state" for fear that there may be some sort of competitive edge lost. After 38 years of chasing turkeys, I don't need the advice of needing "cyberscouting" or any of that. It was a post to mainly get people to respond to in hopes that others would jump in and give their reasons for a different place being their favorite. I don't mind a little ribbing or anything like that, but realize that this forum really isn't what I'd hoped it would be. Thanks.

If it were just you and/or the 5-10 guys who've commented on this post, sitting around talking, I'm sure you'd get a different response. It's the thousands (potentially ten's or hundreds of thousands) who can (and do) search post like this for information on public areas that has everyone so guarded.

Personally, I'd love to hunt in the rockies or Pacific Northwest. If nothing else, the scenery looks beautiful and is way different than anything I get to see around home on a regular basis and I enjoy the mountains in general. Never tried turkey hunting out that way but I will at some point.

AndyN

turkeyfool

I can tell you where to NOT go. Mississippi

Hook hanger

Michigan in June would be on my bucket list!

TonyTurk

Quote from: AndyN on May 31, 2022, 02:57:53 PM
KS and NE 10 years ago.
Yes.  Add Oklahoma to that list, 10 years ago.

I suppose instead of a list of states, what we really need is a time machine.

Hook hanger

Quote from: TonyTurk on May 31, 2022, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: AndyN on May 31, 2022, 02:57:53 PM
KS and NE 10 years ago.
Yes.  Add Oklahoma to that list, 10 years ago.

I suppose instead of a list of states, what we really need is a time machine.

OK more like 15 years ago!

Jstocks

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 31, 2022, 09:23:17 AM

First of all, congratulations on your magazine and best of luck with it. (Hopefully, you are aware that there was, at one time, another magazine with the title "Turkey Hunter Magazine" and that you have verified that there are no copyright infringement issues that lay ahead for you). 

Secondly, although your request that folks post their wish list of turkey hunting destinations was, at first glance, rather innocuous, the debate regarding the impacts of internet "cyberscouting" has been ongoing for quite some time now on this site and most likely many, if not all, others of similar nature.  I would think you would want to have your "finger on the pulse" of what is happening in the turkey hunting world in terms of what you deem appropriate to include in your magazine in the future.  The responses you have received to your initial request here should give you some insight as to what information you publish (these responses are probably only a small sampling of what you can expect if you start promoting turkey hunting destinations as part of your magazine content.  That is unfortunate, but that is the reality we face nowadays). 

The reality is that turkey hunting, and spring gobbler hunting in particular, has become a "fad" across the country.  That is a good thing for your magazine's future, but it has not been such a good thing for the quality of turkey hunting in many locations, especially on public lands.  In addition, the impacts of the increased hunting pressure on our turkey populations, although yet to be completely defined, appears to be significant. 

The bottom line for me is that you should view this thread as a learning experience as to the mind-set of those of us that are avid turkey hunters.  We are your future customers.  You should take note of what we are concerned about and try to avoid exacerbating those concerns in your publication.  That word of advice should be viewed as something that is in your best interest, and nothing more. 

Even though your introduction to our OG crowd may appear to have been a little "rocky", there are lots of good folks on this site who would wish you success in your endeavor and will likely be enthusiastic supporters.  You may also find that you will get a lot of ideas here as to topics you might include in the magazine. (You might also find some aspiring authors here that might be willing to contribute to your publication!   ;D )

Again, best of luck to you!   :icon_thumright:

This is one of the best posts ever made on this forum.

I'd even considered messaging him about the content and if he was looking for contributing breakout authors.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: Mountainburd on May 29, 2022, 03:33:02 PM
These wise guy posts are getting so old and not funny at all. If you have nothing meaningful to add to a thread, then stay off of it.

I would love to hunt New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. I'm not much of a destination hunter as I get much fulfillment hunting my home and some surrounding states.

To the OP. This site has turned into a mess as far as what is truth and what is not. The competition of the traveling turkey hunter combined with reduced population numbers is ruining the sport, and quite frankly this site.
This is 100% spot on. I always enjoyed talking to other turkey hunters, whether I met them online or in the woods and I've met a lot of them since I started turkey hunting in the mid 80's.  I've been very happy to share any knowledge or help that I've been able to because I've been the beneficiary of the kindness of others. Unfortunately I see a lot of these smart guy posts lately.
It generally boils down to some internet turkey slaying hero who thinks he should have the privilege of hunting turkeys all to himself. Or who is afraid somebody else is going to get more turkeys than him. It's selfish, mean spirited and unbecoming of anyone who would call themselves a turkey hunter. But some people just can't seem to help embarrassing themselves I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk