OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Box call side radius questions from new builder  (Read 1124 times)

Offline KnotTied

Box call side radius questions from new builder
« on: May 25, 2022, 12:58:08 PM »
As a rookie box call builder from Tug Hill Plateau NY, a couple of questions:
1) Are the arcs on each side of the box symmetrical front to back? I realize each side needs to mirror the opposing side, just wondering if the distance from top of sides to low point are the same measured at front & back?

2) When shaping the sides of the box where the paddle will rub, should it be a straight bevel or convex curve towards the inside? I've been making mine with an opposing convex curve to the paddle's curve.

3) Should the top of the sides be beveled to a very thin knife edge or best to leave a uniform flat area,  say about 1/16" - 3/32"?

I'm recently retired & trying to build my wife a few box calls. So far, I've managed to get decent sounds out of an all walnut call & the 2nd one made with walnut bottom & ends, sugar maple & cherry sides with a cherry paddle.
I was amazed at the different tones from wood types. Thanks in advance

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Box call side radius questions from new builder
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
KnotTied,

1) On a Cost Style box, yes the radius and measurement you describe should be the same on each sound rail, L & R.

2) Not sure I follow your question?

3) The top of the sound rails should end up around 1/8" thick, depending on final tuning and those tops should be slightly rounded off, not flat.

If you want, send me a PM and we can continue in more detail and talk on the phone if you want