OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How did your season or seasons go?

Started by longbeards, May 20, 2022, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

For myself it was a strange year for gobbling. Didn't kill a bird in Fla, not a great deal of gobbling but to be honest it wasn't great weather. Had high hopes for WV my home state and have managed to  all in birds here. But worst gobbling I have heard in years..Pa had good gobbling and killed a good bird there. But all in all I have heard much less gobbling, especially later in am...
What's your thoughts?

Old Timer

1 bird in the books. Not hearing much gobbling. Seem to be working hens no boyfriends in tow yet. But as the fat lady said. It ain't over till it's over!

g8rvet

Got the monkey off my back early.  Was learning a new place to hunt, got a buddy a bird opening day, I took one on the next.  Worked all season to get my SIL on one and came so close, but sheet water, creeks and thick areas worked against us.  Passed on a couple of jakes with my 410.  I blame a lot of it on not knowing the lay of the land yet, but as we were getting them dialed in the season went out.  Already looking forward to next year.  My single biggest difficulty is having to earn a living, work gets in the way of turkey hunting!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yoder409

Shortest season EVER.

Didn't go out of state this year.  Killed #1 at 6:50 AM on our opener.   Killed #2 at 6:10 AM on the second day.   Outta tags.  Season over.

I've been hunting a lot of mornings since then with my bino's and my coffee cup.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

Started off rough, lot of hunter interference!  I had decent gobbling but the wind and weather was not conducive to gobbling or being able to hear it.

Only got to hunt 3 states, killed 4 and each one came to the call, so it turned out quite well!  But I am wishing I was hunting right now as I usually am still. 

Yoder409

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 20, 2022, 09:11:37 PMBut I am wishing I was hunting right now......

You and me BOTH............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cowboy

Lots of gobbling action during our youth season. Took the kids 13 and 11. However the youngest passed up shots that the 13 year old probably could have got but we were trying hard to get the youngest his first gobbler. No go. General season, different area than where we took the kids, my brother killed his opening day. I called in a pair 2nd day. Got a myself a fine gobbler. Rolled in next week and I called in a gobbler for my wife's first turkey. Same turkeys we were in 2 weeks before with the kids. Rest of the month hunted hard, different area, different counties, different state and had little gobbling on the roost or nothing. Weather didnt help a whole lot. Lots of rainy days or windy days.  Overall, I had a great season though. I always enjoy it no matter what happens. It's the hunt not the kill for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

SC was slow with not much gobbling. Still managed to get one though.
Tennessee was on fire, at least on my property. Good gobbling and lots of turkeys. Since the season ended, lots of gobblers are hanging around.
SD and Wyoming were on fire as well. Lots of turkeys, and lots of gobbling.
I guess I had a good season.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Average season for me.   Turkeys being turkeys, me being me.   Enjoyed it.   Hope to get to do it again next year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Hunted in insulated bibs for the biggest part of the season, I had to deal with lots of wind, cold, rain and bad storms ... but was still successful....  below the average season with very little gobbling... covered up with hens and Jake's coming to the call looking for gobblers ... was still seeing groups of hens way too late in the season, this was first also....

Happy

Normal season for me. With the exception of out west. Still I had an opportunity to kill one out there but held off of the trigger because of some safety concerns.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

sswv

here in southern WV "for me" the season was terrible. heard VERY little gobbling. saw more hens this spring than I have in several years but, I had a ton of fun. last year I was tagged out the second day but I sure put in the leg work this season. went to places I hadn't been in years and just sat back and enjoyed the memories. I'd almost forgot just how beautiful the gorges of the mighty New River are. it's nice to go to an area and know you can walk as much as you want to and never see a house or hard road. looking forward to getting back there this fall. I'm older and more worn down now and you can't use off road machines in that area now so it's shoe leather, game bags and a deer dolly.   hope everyone has a super good summer.

Tom007

They were tougher than normal. Weather was semi lousy, but had success and a fannnntastic time. One more week in NY. Never have a bad day in the Turkey woods......

Dhamilton1

Second season ever hunting turkeys and a second unsuccessful season on killing anything.

Successful in terms of continuing to learn.

Home state of WV also and I agree with the statement of "very little gobbling". Didn't hear much and didn't see much. Very little hens this year compared to last year for me also. Had several people state the same thing.

I got the bug and don't think I'll lose it anytime soon. So we'll see how next year goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archivist13

Uughh! That's my season in recap here in Southern Maryland. April was fun, as the gobblers were making noise every morning on the roost but would shut up once on the ground. At least you knew they were there. May hit and everything shut down. No gobbling on the roost or the ground. One day left for me, so I still have a glimmer of hope. At least I got lots of miles of exercise in!