OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Learned something new

Started by Tunaguy, May 18, 2022, 02:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunaguy

Last season while walking out of our set-up my son asked me if I ever heard of Ramps? No I says, what are they? It's a plant that grows wild and tastes garlic/oniony. He shows me a picture on his phone and sure enough with a little searching we find a patch of them. We dug some up and brought them home. They were great with eggs and Tom made a flavored butter with them. This year we made sure to stop for some . Who knew?

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Happy

They grow everywhere in my turkey hunting areas. I even have 3 or so acres of my property covered in them. While I enjoy them chopped up on omelets, my favorite is pickled. They make a great addition to a steak sub.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dhamilton1

Ramps are a WV delicacy. However they've never fancied my palette, which could be looked at as blasphemy around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRG3

Thanks for the info. I've got it on my calendar to look for them early next spring here in Southern Illinois.

Paulmyr

Ate one I few years back looking for morels. Bad, bad, almost nauseating smelling gas. Didn't taste too bad. Garlicy uniony would be a good description.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeyman

Love leeks but you have to get them when young. I have two areas where there are many. I hunt northern NY. Two weeks ago I came across a patch and they were wonderful thus took quite a few home. Yesterday I came across a patch and they were beyond their prime. Chomped on a couple bulbs...didn't bother to pick because they were "tough". The leaves were turning yellow and limp...NG.

bigriverbum

my nephew, who LIKES to eat, had his first straight from the ground ramp this year. he loved it. 

pretty good palate for a 9 year old.

i like them with trout and lighter pastas

Zobo

The ramps I pick taste like garlic meets scallions. They can be harsh raw but mellow with cooking. I sometimes find fiddlehead ferns too which need to be thoroughly cooked.
      I have occasional luck finding some morel species but unfortunately they haven't been prevalent in my turkey hunting areas this season. I find way more mushrooms during the fall turkey hunting season.
     Mushroom hunting has gotten very popular in the last few years. Incidences of poisonings are on the rise. Be very careful identifying wild edibles before eating. Nature is tricky and can throw you a curveball now and again.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Jroddc

I was hunting my father's property in the Catskills on Sunday and picked a bunch they're really good.