OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best state to hunt

Started by Wisgobbler, May 18, 2022, 12:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisgobbler

I'm wondering what your thoughts are for the best do it yourself type hunt for a merriams.
The criteria are good numbers of birds, good public access and though I know it's almost impossible these days lower hunter numbers. I don't mind running into a guy but I'd like to avoid crowds if possible.
I'm not opposed to doing some hiking and putting in some effort.  Cost of tags is another consideration but if bird numbers are good then obviously it's less of an issue.
This is for a 2023 spring father son hunt.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLGobstopper

Roost 1

This will be interesting....it's not KY or TN.

deerhunt1988

fallhnt

Do you not read the threads. Turkey populations are down. Change your criteria.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Mountainburd

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 18, 2022, 12:59:36 PM
I'm wondering what your thoughts are for the best do it yourself type hunt for a merriams.
The criteria are good numbers of birds, good public access and though I know it's almost impossible these days lower hunter numbers. I don't mind running into a guy but I'd like to avoid crowds if possible.
I'm not opposed to doing some hiking and putting in some effort.  Cost of tags is another consideration but if bird numbers are good then obviously it's less of an issue.

Thanks guys!

I believe your intentions for this thread are genuine, and you're simply trying to find your destination state. With that being said, in case you haven't paid much attention, because of declining populations guys are refusing to even name which states they kill their turkeys in. I think the whole thing has gotten absolutely ridiculous quite frankly.

Hopefully someone send you a PM with some suggestions. Otherwise you're going to get a whole lot of wiseguy comments. Wish I could help you but I only hunt Easterns. Good luck.

aclawrence

Sounds like a dream spot.

St. Augustine Strutter

Thanks guys!

I am looking for a really good spot to hunt in Wisconsin.  Lots of birds and no pressure.  I look forward to your reply.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on May 18, 2022, 02:10:43 PM

Thanks guys!

I am looking for a really good spot to hunt in Wisconsin.  Lots of birds and no pressure.  I look forward to your reply.
Come on. I'm not selfish. I'll share anything I can but I'm a public land hunter so you'll have to put in some leg work.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: fallhnt on May 18, 2022, 01:29:32 PM
Do you not read the threads. Turkey populations are down. Change your criteria.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Yeah.... Sorry about that I guess I've been too busy working, raising a family and hunting turkeys to spend as much time as I should on this site reading smart Alec responses. Appreciate your input.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: Mountainburd on May 18, 2022, 01:39:42 PM

Thanks guys!

I believe your intentions for this thread are genuine, and you're simply trying to find your destination state. With that being said, in case you haven't paid much attention, because of declining populations guys are refusing to even name which states they kill their turkeys in. I think the whole thing has gotten absolutely ridiculous quite frankly.

Hopefully someone send you a PM with some suggestions. Otherwise you're going to get a whole lot of wiseguy comments. Wish I could help you but I only hunt Easterns. Good luck.
Thank you for the respectful response. I appreciate that and it speaks to your character. I'll just bow out of this conversation and figure it out on my own.
I definitely didn't expect the responses I've gotten so far.

mossyoakpro

I have always had good luck in the Black Hills National Forest in both Wyoming and South Dakota.  Wyoming is over the counter and SD is a draw but guaranteed on the Black Hills units.

You can primitive camp in the forest which saves some money and I have never had any trouble with running into folks...plenty of room to roam and hunt.  If I see a vehicle I just keep riding another few miles and stop. 

If you stay with it you can kill turkeys.  Best of luck!!!
Phillippians 4:13

Wisgobbler

Quote from: mossyoakpro on May 18, 2022, 04:01:46 PM
I have always had good luck in the Black Hills National Forest in both Wyoming and South Dakota.  Wyoming is over the counter and SD is a draw but guaranteed on the Black Hills units.

You can primitive camp in the forest which saves some money and I have never had any trouble with running into folks...plenty of room to roam and hunt.  If I see a vehicle I just keep riding another few miles and stop. 

If you stay with it you can kill turkeys.  Best of luck!!!
Thank you. Ultimately this is just going to be a hunt that my son and I have wanted to do for many years. I'm really excited that we are finally going to go. If we kill a bird it would be amazing. If we don't, still amazing.

mikejd

Good luck in your endeavor. As you said its going to be amazing no matter what. I hope to travel to hunt someday myself.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: mikejd on May 18, 2022, 08:05:51 PM
Good luck in your endeavor. As you said its going to be amazing no matter what. I hope to travel to hunt someday myself.
Thank you sir!