OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heaver Than Lead Options?

Started by BDeal, May 18, 2022, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Hi All-

I'm looking for heavier than lead options for my sons 20 gauge and my 12 as I am running out of the Federal Heavyweights and will have to find something else. This is a shame as the heavyweights are fantastic and were priced right as well. Are there any good options out there without having to pay more than $8 per shell?

Thank You!!

Greg Massey

Your main problem right now is going to be finding ammo to shoot period... good luck.... about all you can find now, is NOT 8 dollar shells but 10 dollar shells.  Things are not going to get any better in the near future. So my suggestion if you can find anything to shoot you better be buying it regardless .. I found a box of target load 410 shells this week, first I've found in almost 10 months... It was a box of the NEW Remington ammo and the box only had 20 / 410 shells in the box... not 25...

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 18, 2022, 10:47:23 AMThings are not going to get any better in the near future. So my suggestion if you can find anything to shoot you better be buying it regardless ..

^^^^^^^^^

THIS..............is the sad truth, right here.

If you weren't fortunate or forward-thinking enough to have stocked up 3.....4.......5 years ago for the rest of your turkey hunting life........there's gonna be some tough sledding ahead.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BDeal

I have options. I've bought 5 boxes of longbeards in the last 6 weeks and have probably another 6-8 boxes of random turkey loads. That said the question is around if there are any options for HTL that won't be crazy expensive.

Thanks

rakkin6

Quote from: BDeal on May 18, 2022, 11:34:17 AM
I have options. I've bought 5 boxes of longbeards in the last 6 weeks and have probably another 6-8 boxes of random turkey loads. That said the question is around if there are any options for HTL that won't be crazy expensive.

Thanks
Not that I can think of, but honestly with a 12 gauge you can shoot 2 3/4 inch shells of 2 ounces of TSS #9 and be just fine. It will save you a couple bucks. Here is my hand load 2 3/4" 2oz #9 at 40 yards. And trust me Apex or Burgess Creek will shoot just has good if not better than mine. Also check out Foxtrot Ammo they have put up good patterns for me also in the past. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

BDeal

Quote from: rakkin6 on May 18, 2022, 11:41:11 AM

Thanks
Not that I can think of, but honestly with a 12 gauge you can shoot 2 3/4 inch shells of 2 ounces of TSS #9 and be just fine. It will save you a couple bucks. Here is my hand load 2 3/4" 2oz #9 at 40 yards. And trust me Apex or Burgess Creek will shoot just has good if not better than mine. Also check out Foxtrot Ammo they have put up good patterns for me also in the past. 

Do the ones you mention above (Apex, Foxtrot, and Burgess Creek) offere shells or materials for handloading?

Thank You!!

rakkin6

No they don't.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Spring Creek Calls

Apex, Burgess Creek and Foxtrot offer loaded TSS ammo, no components. Rogue also offers TSS ammo.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gooserbat

The reason heavier than lead cost what it does is tungsten is an internationally traded good.  It's a reflection of that.  The reason for federal replacing 15 g/cc heavyweight for 18g/cc tss is simply the tss gave better performance. I've killed several birds with #7 heavyweight and a lot with both #8 and #9 tss.  Now in regards to what's available I'd look hard at Fox Trot..
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Thanks
Some of the pheasant buffer loads are pretty good shells, again if you can find some... they are just about as good or better than some of the cheaper lead turkey loads..

BDeal

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 18, 2022, 12:02:55 PM
Apex, Burgess Creek and Foxtrot offer loaded TSS ammo, no components. Rogue also offers TSS ammo.

Of those listed, which do you prefer?

Thank You!

BDeal

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 18, 2022, 11:07:06 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 18, 2022, 10:47:23 AMThings are not going to get any better in the near future. So my suggestion if you can find anything to shoot you better be buying it regardless ..

^^^^^^^^^

If you weren't fortunate or forward-thinking enough to have stocked up 3.....4.......5 years ago for the rest of your turkey hunting life........there's gonna be some tough sledding ahead.

So you think the ammo shortage is going to last forever? I sure hope not!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: BDeal on May 18, 2022, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on May 18, 2022, 11:07:06 AM

^^^^^^^^^

So you think the ammo shortage is going to last forever? I sure hope not!!
With the possibility of gas going to 10 dollars a gallon... yes i think it's going to last a pretty long time.. IMO

PNWturkey

Quote from: BDeal on May 18, 2022, 01:26:07 PM
So you think the ammo shortage is going to last forever?

Yes, pretty much.

I stocked up on a lifetime supply of deer hunting ammo and turkey hunting ammo, so as not to worry about it any more...

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: BDeal on May 18, 2022, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 18, 2022, 12:02:55 PM

Of those listed, which do you prefer?

Thank You!

I've killed turkeys with Apex and Foxtrot and recently ordered Rogue which patterned great. I shoot a 28 gauge so that limits the companies that offer TSS in that gauge.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com