turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most memorable hunt ever

Started by Strutbuster91, May 16, 2022, 05:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strutbuster91

I had the most memorable hunt I've ever had yesterday resulting in a dead gobbler. I finally got my girlfriend to go turkey hunting with me ( she grew up in a non hunting family). I haven't had much time to hunt this year as previous years due to work and crappy weather on the weekends here in VA and WV. Before season kicked off in VA I was sitting at the kitchen table making some mouth calls and asked her if she wanted to try to make 1 and she did and it sounded awesome so I put it in the vest. It wasn't anything fancy just a single reed but was a real singer. We started out on a cold opening morning in VA hunting public land which was ridiculously packed. We managed to find a parking spot and hiked up to a little field about 20 mins after daylight I seen a blaze orange hat walking up the ridge to our left about 250yds away followed by some god awful calling so I decided for us to head out and she was getting cold, we also had some things to do intown that day. Then WV season came in and we went and hunted my grandads and had 1 gobbling at daylight so we got set up about 100yds from him watched him fly down and about 10 seconds later a hen flew down right with him. We watched him strut and follow the hen around for about 2.5 hours but he wouldn't leave her, so we just backed out. Last Thursday I managed to take a day off and hunted by myself in wv and bumped 1 gobbler off the roost by accident. I then moved to another area and called in 2 jakes and messed around with them for a little bit. I then moved to a field where I've seen some gobblers before and there was 1 out there with 4 hens I tried everything in the book to pull him away from them but he wouldn't budge only gobble at every call I made and keep my heart racing and hoping the hens would sneak off but they never did by 12. So Saturday evening we went and spent the night at my grandads and hunted yesterday morning. We had 3 birds gobbling up on the mountain and got set up as close as we could from them and after fly down they went silent. We sat there for about and hour and a half and decided to go to the field I seen the gobbler on Thursday. We stopped about 100 yds from our first set up and I let out a series of calls on the slate and heard a faint gobble, so I called again and it was getting closer. It sounded like he was going to come down the old logging road by our first set up so we started heading back to our first spot but he gobbled again and he was coming along an old field edge so we went back to were I called at when he gobbled and got set up. I got out the mouth call she made at the beginning of the season and let out a few yelps and he gobbled and he was within 100yds but I couldn't see him. About a minute later i told her I see him and just sit still and she seen him right after I said that. I let out a couple more yelps and he kept on gobbling and coming. He was about 50 yds gobbling his head off and i hear her whisper Holy crap! He got to about 30 yds and stuck his head up, thats when he got a face full of apex 9's out of the ol 20 gauge. We stood up gave each other a hug and a kiss and I asked her what she thought and what was the holy crap about and she said " that was pretty damn cool". I think she is hooked now! Now I just need to get her some shooting practice and hopefully it will be her turn next season. He was 17.1lbs and had 9.5" beard and ¾" spurs. It was pretty cool to kill a bird with her and with the call she made. Definitely wasn't my biggest bird ever but definitely my most memorable hunt and 1 neither of us will ever forget!

randy6471

Congrats! You will remember that hunt long after the memories of other hunts have faded.

Mountainburd

Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt. Hopefully your girlfriend is a keeper and there are many more to follow.

Greg Massey

Congrats... making memories that's what it's all about ....

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Awesome! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

Good of you to take her out of that crowded public area, if you always put safety first all other things will fall into place. Sounds like you both had a great time, that's what it's all about, congrats!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoteduster

Turkeybutt

Great story and hunt you will never forget. From the sounds of it she is hooked and I'm sure if the relationship continues next year she will be your hunting partner.
Congratulations 

zelmo1

Congrats bro, she will get deeper and deeper in until she starts coming up with her own hunt plans. You will have so much fun and lots of memories. I too got my wife into turkey hunting after 20 years of being together. Now she is my best hunting partner. Awesome time for you bro, Congrats again. Al

Cowboy

Congrats. Good memories made right there and shared with someone you care about. Hopefully more to come in the future. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Strutbuster91

Thanks guys I appreciate it! Definitely making lots of memories weather we get a bird or not. Just introducing somebody new to the thing we all love and being outdoors together makes it all worth it. I think we might go try for 1 more this weekend depending on this crazy weather. I'm pretty sure she is hooked now just need to get her behind the gun. She is talking about wanting to start videoing some, so I feel like my next investment is going to be for a camera. I'm trying to figure out how to resize a photo on my phone so I can post it on here. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a great hunt!! Congrats!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Strutbuster91

I think I figured out how to resize my picture

Turkeybutt

Great photo! Thanks for adding it so we all could see the outcome of your hunt.
Your GF well.... she's all smiles and I'm sure excited for you.