OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bear patterns turkeys?

Started by Paulmyr, May 16, 2022, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 17, 2022, 10:38:30 AM
Bear is too busy eating fresh grass and forbs to chase turkeys, now once eggs are laid he is likely a nest problem!

I hunt an area in the mountains the past two years and see as many or more bears than turkey!

I agree.  Spring black bear are concentrated on soft mast and fresh greens right now.  Blackies are the least carnivorous of the carnivores and turkeys aren't on their menu.  I'm sure a hungry bear would kill and eat and one and probably has before....somewhere.  If they stumble on a nest, well, those eggs are done for.   I hunt mountain bears and mountain turkeys.    Funny thing though......
I was turking hunting in the mountains this year and found a bear track.  Right next to it was a pair of hen (or jake) tracks.  I would have never seen the turkey tracks if I wasn't looking at the bear track.  I've personally never connected those two animals in any kind of positive or negative relationship.  This is North GA btw. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Paulmyr

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on May 17, 2022, 04:38:48 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 17, 2022, 10:38:30 AM
Bear is too busy eating fresh grass and forbs to chase turkeys, now once eggs are laid he is likely a nest problem!

I hunt an area in the mountains the past two years and see as many or more bears than turkey!

I agree.  Spring black bear are concentrated on soft mast and fresh greens right now.  Blackies are the least carnivorous of the carnivores and turkeys aren't on their menu.  I'm sure a hungry bear would kill and eat and one and probably has before....somewhere.  If they stumble on a nest, well, those eggs are done for.   I hunt mountain bears and mountain turkeys.    Funny thing though......
I was turking hunting in the mountains this year and found a bear track.  Right next to it was a pair of hen (or jake) tracks.  I would have never seen the turkey tracks if I wasn't looking at the bear track.  I've personally never connected those two animals in any kind of positive or negative relationship.  This is North GA btw.
Our spring up here in the north land is way late this year. The grasses  and leaves just started growing in the last week or so. The woods were bare. The understory just started to green up over the weekend.

Last year's drought put the hurt on the mast crops. Acorns were few and scattered. We have 3 large oaks in the front yard. 2 produce every year the 3rd sporadically. None had any acorns last year. No apples on the trees in the yard at the cabin either.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.