OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bear patterns turkeys?

Started by Paulmyr, May 16, 2022, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

So this weekend I'm sneaking into an area where a tom was roosted. By the time I got close he was on the ground and had hens with him. I'm trying to get to a corner of the small opening they are in when I spook a smallish bear, 200lbs maybe a little more, laying on the edge of the opening right where I was trying to get too. He doesn't bolt away just gets up and kinda mosseyed off. He was about 35 yds away from me when he got up. At this time another gobbler shows up gobbles once up on a hill to my left and the Tom in opening answers back.

I change tactics to try and get between the 2 and set up. As I'm sneaking to my new set up location the Gobbler in the opening and his hens start working to the corner the bear just vacated. By the time I set up the gobbler on the hill had joined the other birds in the opening. By all the bear scat I seen while moving, my guess is the bear had been at this more than just that day. Did the bear pattern them turkeys and choose the best ambush spot? I know where I'll be sitting next time I get after these turkey! Hopefully the bear won't be there again as it will be dark when I'm sneaking in.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

WV Flopper

Sounds like the bear was sleeping close to the bait the turkeys were going too.

Don't get excited, not implying anything. That's just what it sounds like to me.

Turkeybutt

Lets hope you don't come nose to nose in the dark with the bear.

Zobo

What kind of bear are we talking about here?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

vt35mag

Probably coincidence and they are just hitting the same food source.
We had a ton of beechnuts last fall around here and the deer, bear, and turkeys are all hitting the leftover nuts where they were densist this spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 16, 2022, 07:45:53 PM
Sounds like the bear was sleeping close to the bait the turkeys were going too.

Don't get excited, not implying anything. That's just what it sounds like to me.

Sounds totally like your implying something and I don't appreciate it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Quote from: vt35mag on May 16, 2022, 09:05:14 PM
Probably coincidence and they are just hitting the same food source.
We had a ton of beechnuts last fall around here and the deer, bear, and turkeys are all hitting the leftover nuts where they were densist this spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No food source because after the flydown hook up they were outta there. The gobbler that showed up late hung around for a bit before he took off as well.

Paulmyr

Yoder409

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 16, 2022, 10:24:01 PM
Quote from: Zobo on May 16, 2022, 08:04:34 PM

Black bear.

Whew !!!!

Glad it's not a grizz !!!!   Otherwise, he probably had all the elk killed off and was lying in wait for YOU.

He had YOU patterned !!!!!

You weren't, by chance, anywhere near a beaver dam, were you ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 16, 2022, 11:15:40 PM

Black bear.

Whew !!!!

Glad it's not a grizz !!!!   Otherwise, he probably had all the elk killed off and was lying in wait for YOU.

Thumbs down!!!

High plains drifter

Black bear.

Whew !!!!

lol

joey46

If I call and this happens should I be concerned.

Yoder409

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 16, 2022, 11:28:01 PM

Black bear.

Whew !!!!

Thumbs down!!!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

Bear is too busy eating fresh grass and forbs to chase turkeys, now once eggs are laid he is likely a nest problem!

I hunt an area in the mountains the past two years and see as many or more bears than turkey!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 17, 2022, 10:38:30 AM
Bear is too busy eating fresh grass and forbs to chase turkeys, now once eggs are laid he is likely a nest problem!

I hunt an area in the mountains the past two years and see as many or more bears than turkey!

I tend to agree, although it could be coincidence I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say he was laying in wait at a roost site for the possibilty that one of turkeys wandered close enough for him to pounce. The previous morning had about 5 gobblers roosted there which led me to the area.

The opening was a narrow strip, about 30yds at it's widest point and about 150 yds long that led into a larger opening a few hundred yard wide. I found it curious the turkeys moved to the end of the small strip and not out into the larger opening. I was thinking maybe a water source but didn't get the chance to check it out.The opening was on the edge of a select timber cut where they left scattered mature Oaks. The under brush was fairly dense except about 50 yds surrounding the opening where bushes  and small trees were scattered in clumps. He was laying in one of the clumps that had some dead branches mixed in on the edge of the opening. When the turkeys left the area the moved back to the middle of the narrow strip and into the mature woods with numerous blow downs on the opposite side of the select cut. Took them maybe 20 mins from flydown until the vacated the area except the one gobbler that lingered a little longer.