turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pet peeve on alot of youtube videos

Started by bluetick58, May 12, 2022, 06:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

I have old ladies in church who are the farthest thing from the hunting public, but when my kids kill an animal they will hang pictures on the bulletin board and mention them during "joy and concern" time. I think we're doing it right.
There are some real tool bags on Youtube, but you'll have that with anything you do.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

guesswho

Quote from: g8rvet on May 17, 2022, 10:19:51 PM
Like I said, those must be loud safeties.  I have never had a bird even slightly react to the safety. But I mostly hunt with old guns.   :goofball:
I think when you click the safety off you have to talk loudly at the same time.  I've read that they pay no attention to loud talking, and that would cover up the soft spooky single click sound of the safety being disengaged.   I've learned so much on YouTube. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeybutt

Here's a U tube Turkey Hunt you wont get upset with.
Just three old guys doing what they love with friends, giving thanks for their time in the woods and showing some respect.
Again I have to thank Greg M for bringing this video to our attention.
I hope you enjoy it as I did!

https://youtu.be/e1yuvKu8hYY

Cowboy

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2022, 08:35:19 AM
Quote from: g8rvet on May 17, 2022, 10:19:51 PM
Like I said, those must be loud safeties.  I have never had a bird even slightly react to the safety. But I mostly hunt with old guns.   :goofball:
I think when you click the safety off you have to talk loudly at the same time.  I've read that they pay no attention to loud talking, and that would cover up the soft spooky single click sound of the safety being disengaged.   I've learned so much on YouTube.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sixes

I was taught to never take off the safety until it was time to shoot.

I've killed lots and lots of game (deer, turkey, hogs) and they have all been in my sights before I took the gun off of safe. I've even taken it off and put it back on multiple times while trying to get the right shot. 

I would guess that the average time that my safety is off is less than 5 seconds.

I cannot ever remember any animal that spooked from hearing me take it off safe.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: bluetick58 on May 12, 2022, 06:29:31 PM
i watch a lot of turkey hunting on you tube  videos is it just me or do a lot hunters leave there gun at tree when going to retrieve there turkey ask Chubbs and  Culpepper what could happen have seen it myself just not smart  not to take your gun with you

Ok, so honesty time.

I've been videod one time and that was this year. All I can say is crap happens fast and I'm glad there isn't someone following me around filming every moment of every hunt. The hunt this year I reacted in a certain way because of another situation that happened to me years ago and poor reaction on my part then. In that situation I'll share after this years, I wish I would of had it all on video now to look back on, but I don't know if I'd ever share it with anyone because of all the crazy things that happened and things I did in the heat of the moment that I'm look back now and think that I shouldn't have done.

2022 SEASON
I hunted with a friend this year who filmed me kill a gobbler right off the roost. On the shot the turkey went down hard and didn't flop a bit. We were both excited because hunting had been tough with little to no gobbling and only had 1 close encounter with a few birds gobbling a bit for several days beforehand. We got lucky late one afternoon and found 2 gobblers feeding in the rain and then watched them fly up to roost in a good location. The next morning the rain had just quit about the time they should start gobbling but we only heard one bird gobble 2 times and he was very far off in the opposite direction where we had worked a gobbler a bit the day before. However, again we got lucky and set up perfectly and they came down pretty much in our laps without making a peep.

I could care less, but it didn't make a great video and I shot a great one a few minutes after his feet hit the ground and never even called except to get his head up before I touched the trigger. At the shot he crumpled and rolled over and never twitched afterwards. My buddy and I were both pretty excited and a little relieved. We whispered a little as he continued to video and the other gobbler vacated the premises. I then set my gun down on the ground, turned towards my buddy and got up and gave him a little fist bump and made some comments to him. Then I started to walk out and grab the turkey and thought "what am I doing not taking my gun". I turned to him and said, "Man I better get my gun, I've had weird things happen to me before and seen this happen to guys on videos before where the gobbler jumps up and runs off."

So, I grab my gun and walk over there to him and just before I get to him at a couple yards the gobbler sticks his head up and went to flapping his wings like he was going to try take off. This brought me flashbacks, but fortunately his neck was broken and he could get his head up and that was it. I certainly wasn't going to let him get anywhere and I don't think he could of anyway, but I was ready even though it surprised me because I thought he was stone dead up until this point. Thank God I didn't have to shoot him as he ran away or chase after him. I just grabbed him by the neck and all it did was give me a little extra adrenalin rush for a few seconds. I've had to tackle a few over the years. One instance my most memorable I'll share next.

2015 or 16 SEASON
That scenario above also reminded me of a time several years ago I was able to fulfill a life long dream I never thought would happen and chase a single season slam. After getting a few in the only state you can get that most southern U.S. turkey, I finally got on a hard hunted eastern in the afternoon on about day 3 of a 4 day hunt in another state you can get those. I hadn't heard a single gobble in 3 days of very hard hunting and finally struck this one gobbler. After working him for about an hour or so, he eventually went quiet and I figured he maybe had a hen or he was just wasn't in the mood to come to me then.

So, I sat tight and went quiet for about 30 minutes as well, hoping he would get curious and come to investigate eventually. I didn't know it was happening but during that time he flanked me and then kinda circled around behind me and then snuck in quietly to where I was setup under a large live oak tree with big swooping and drooping branches that almost came down and touched the ground in places. I was hid pretty good in this spot and next thing I know he's at 5 yards in full strut hard off my left shoulder. I shoot right handed by the way. About the time I saw him, he saw me and was dropping out of strut, slicking down, tucking his wings and about to boogie. I began to slowly move my gun up and over a bit as it had been pointed in front of me where I had hoped he would come from and where I had last heard him gobble. I swung on him as soon as he started to fast walk outa there and caught him at about 25 yds with my first shot as I was aiming in between branches. But, I didn't hit him very well because he was just starting to run at the shot, I really didn't aim much and actually shot at him instead of aimed at him and was fighting the cover that had let him get so close to me in the first place. I was again caught off guard when after the shot I had hit him but he cartwheeled a couple time, flopped a bit and then got back on to his feet. He then got running and tried to fly but couldn't due to a broken wing. So, I shot again as I jumped to my feet dodging branches from the big oak. He must of been at about 40-45 yds and I'm pretty sure I completely missed him, or at best just got a few more those old Win #6 Extended Range pellets in him.

Like a linebacker I then shot after him running the fastest I probably ever have in my lifetime because he was getting out of there and the woods were getting thicker and I was going to lose sight of him. I was just about to him as he was running directly towards a thicker creek bottom area when I tripped and went face first into the dirt. Like an idiot I was running with my gun and when I got up to my knees and saw him for a quick moment weaving back and forth I took another shot at him just as he disappeared. I know I didn't hit him that time so I quickly fumbled through my vest pocket for another shell and couldn't find one simultaneously running over to where I last saw him. When I got there I found no sign a turkey had ever even been there before.

To say I was dejected would be an understatement! I tore off my facemask, gloves vest and everything and through them, along with myself on the ground in disgust and disbelief. As I lay there out of breath, covered in mud and dirt, tore up by vines and other things that had grabbed me, I was beaten and my ego very bruised. I thought to myself, "I've got to be the worst turkey hunter in the world! I blew it! Not only did I blow it but just crippled and lost a beautiful gobbler! I'm and IDIOT and I  S-U-C-K !!! I think I'm ready to quit this foolishness and go home." At that moment all I could think of was everything I had done wrong and I struggled to think of what to do next.

After a few minutes of laying of the ground catching my breath and replaying what happened in my mind, I got sat back up and just thought that the best thing I can do in this situation is to pray. I'm typically not one to pray too much for myself when it comes to things like hunting. I pray for others a lot more and maybe things that are more impactful to the world than my hobbies, but under the circumstances I felt like that was the best thing to do. What came out was partially a prayer begging the Lord for a miracle, for forgiveness and one of repentance. I basically just prayed, "Lord I'm such a fool to let myself get into these types of situations. Forgive me that I've put so much time into this quest and forgotten about you in so many ways. I'm the worst! The worst human and especially the worst turkey hunter you've ever allowed to walk in the woods. I'm sorry for taking this bird for granted and for wounding him, please, please help me to find him and put him out of his misery. Thank you for not deserting me at my worst, Amen". Side note, I think it's pretty amazing that the things that seem like such a huge deal to us at a certain moment in time and maybe aren't do matter to God! In these moments God just says, go ahead, ask I got this!

So,after that I got to my feet and put my vest back on and gathered my things. I started to walk in the last direction I saw the gobbler run looking for blood, tracks, feathers and any sign of him or anything that might give me a clue as to where he might be going. There was a transition break along the trees where it got thicker and kinda dropped off down into this creek bottom so I began to walk the edge a little and had gone about 30-40 yds when I heard what sounded like something crashing through the leaves, trees and brush up ahead. I had to stop for a moment to really hear what it was because all though I could hear it, it was faint, but I could definitely tell something was over there. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but being from FL it sounded like something I've encountered many times. It at first sounded like a pack of hogs that were spooked and they were running through the woods banging into all sorts of brush, limbs, vines and every other thing as they fled trying to get out of there. However, as I listened I could then tell it was getting closer and sounded like it was somewhat quickly moving my way. I again reached into my pant pockets and my vest hoping to pull out a shell just in case I needed one in self defense from a pack of hogs, but I couldn't find one. I usually carry an extra 1 or 2 shells with me if such a situation should ever arise and had no idea where they were at this point. But then I remembered I'd had one in my pants pockets earlier and then put it back in my vest in another odd pocket some reason. I finally located the 1 shell and loaded my gun as the crashing got closer and closer, though it then became very clear that whatever was the source of the noise was not moving in a straight line, but kinda running a zig zag pattern like it was being chased by a predator.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, I had my gun ready just in case as I said before I might need it in self defense. That's happened in hog hunting before and I followed the sound back and forth until it finally got to about 35 yards in an area of the woods that got a little clearer. It was then that I could finally see it and was again in disbelief when it was a turkey! My turkey! The turkey I had shot what seemed like an eternity ago, but more likely 7 or 8 minutes before, was now bloody faced and blind, unable to fly, but able to run around like crazy bouncing off trees and brush back and forth, like a pinball. He'd move one direction hitting something and then changing course going quickly in another. I stood there clutching my gun, with only 1 shot left waiting for the perfect moment to shoot him. I couldn't get a clear shot and I wanted to make sure I put him down for good as soon as I had the opportunity.

When he zigged at about 20 yrds after running through a sapling, he again changed direction and now was running directly at me! There really wasn't much between us now to bounce him another direction because I was on the cleared edge out of the thicket and I got the gun on him. I didn't know crippled blind turkeys could run so fast and before I could get the gun on him, really aim and fire he was at 10yds and closing. As I followed him at 5 yds I knew at that range IF I hit him I'd blow his head off, his breast or wherever I hit him apart. Or what I thought more then likely would happen is I'd miss the running target all together and be back to trying to run him down. As he moved closer it when seemed like he zeroed in on me and I now got into more of a self defense mode. I felt like I was the one being chased down by a fast moving linebacker. At just a few yards, at what seemed like the last moment I instinctively jumped to the left as he came by me, slightly grabbing my gun by the stock more like a club or base ball bat and took aim at his head. I didn't do a full swing remembering I had a loaded gun, but I did hit him with my gun with enough force to knock his head back, roll him and take him off his feet. As he hit the ground I ditched my gun out of harms way and lunged towards him grabbing him by the neck. As I grabbed him he tried to pry himself out of my hands with both his fully functioning feet and legs and one good flapping wing. I was able to pull some kind of slick Rey Mysterio WWE move on him as he was beating the crap out of me and get his claws and spurs dislodged from my chest and then lay all my weight on top of his back as I held on and squeezed as hard as I could to his neck before he beat me senseless.

After a few moments I was again out of breath as both myself and the gobbler lay there completely motionless. Me covered in mud, scratched up, cut up and a little bloody, him with hardly any tail, neck, breast and back feathers left in tact. It was finally over! I do hate that it had to end that way, but I'm also thankful and I know 100% no doubt God answered my prayer that I got a chance in my stupidity and ineptitude to end it. There's a saying... if you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough! Well as I'm older and hunted turkeys and other game for years I've had to be tough a bunch of times. I think I'm finally learning some things though and getting a little smarter. Although, I can be somewhat judgemental sometimes and look at the things guys do and call them out for it when it reality man I'm guilty but have learned some from my mistakes and thank God he's protected me the midst of them.

I guess if anything at least with some of these YouTube and what not videos we can at the least learn from some of these others stupidity. Now my biggest lesson I've learned from them is DON'T GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION on where you're hunting. Why even mention a particular state or public land? Do guys get extra credit if they kill one on public? I'm just to the point now like I was years ago. I'm just some bumbling idiot walking around the woods lucky if I ever even get close to a turkey, squirrel, deer or whatever. I really don't know what I'm doing, but get lucky occasionally and I need all the help I can get!

I especially would like your help if you'll tell me where to go to at least hear a turkey and maybe even see one. People are always saying they don't want or need your honey holes. NOT ME, I want them! I don't kill many and will leave enough for you and I promise I won't tell anyone else. So, I'm just gonna sit back I'm watching, I'm listening and I'm looking for any clues anyone wants to give me. Thank you YouTube (INSERT SARCASM HERE) for helping me out and anyone else or any other place you want to give the information. Thank you!

Turkeyman

Have not read any of the posts other than the OP.

I always act as though I have springs in my arse when I shoot a bird. Is he down for the count...fine. But if he's not, due to the springs in my arse, I'm 15 or so yards closer for a finishing shot. Simple as that.

joey46

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 18, 2022, 09:26:21 AM
Here's a U tube Turkey Hunt you wont get upset with.
Just three old guys doing what they love with friends, giving thanks for their time in the woods and showing some respect.
Again I have to thank Greg M for bringing this video to our attention.
I hope you enjoy it as I did!

https://youtu.be/e1yuvKu8hYY

Yes - by far one of the best.  I've watched it twice and will watch it again.  Harold and I are the same age and since I first met him when he was cutting hair, and selling tube calls, in Cadiz, KY it is very nostalgic for me.  He knows his turkeys. 

dublelung

Quote from: FLGobstopper on May 18, 2022, 01:04:36 PM
Quote from: bluetick58 on May 12, 2022, 06:29:31 PM
i watch a lot of turkey hunting on you tube  videos is it just me or do a lot hunters leave there gun at tree when going to retrieve there turkey ask Chubbs and  Culpepper what could happen have seen it myself just not smart  not to take your gun with you

Ok, so honesty time.

I've been videod one time and that was this year. All I can say is crap happens fast and I'm glad there isn't someone following me around filming every moment of every hunt. The hunt this year I reacted in a certain way because of another situation that happened to me years ago and poor reaction on my part then. In that situation I'll share after this years, I wish I would of had it all on video now to look back on, but I don't know if I'd ever share it with anyone because of all the crazy things that happened and things I did in the heat of the moment that I'm look back now and think that I shouldn't have done.

2022 SEASON
I hunted with a friend this year who filmed me kill a gobbler right off the roost. On the shot the turkey went down hard and didn't flop a bit. We were both excited because hunting had been tough with little to no gobbling and only had 1 close encounter with a few birds gobbling a bit for several days beforehand. We got lucky late one afternoon and found 2 gobblers feeding in the rain and then watched them fly up to roost in a good location. The next morning the rain had just quit about the time they should start gobbling but we only heard one bird gobble 2 times and he was very far off in the opposite direction where we had worked a gobbler a bit the day before. However, again we got lucky and set up perfectly and they came down pretty much in our laps without making a peep.

I could care less, but it didn't make a great video and I shot a great one a few minutes after his feet hit the ground and never even called except to get his head up before I touched the trigger. At the shot he crumpled and rolled over and never twitched afterwards. My buddy and I were both pretty excited and a little relieved. We whispered a little as he continued to video and the other gobbler vacated the premises. I then set my gun down on the ground, turned towards my buddy and got up and gave him a little fist bump and made some comments to him. Then I started to walk out and grab the turkey and thought "what am I doing not taking my gun". I turned to him and said, "Man I better get my gun, I've had weird things happen to me before and seen this happen to guys on videos before where the gobbler jumps up and runs off."

So, I grab my gun and walk over there to him and just before I get to him at a couple yards the gobbler sticks his head up and went to flapping his wings like he was going to try take off. This brought me flashbacks, but fortunately his neck was broken and he could get his head up and that was it. I certainly wasn't going to let him get anywhere and I don't think he could of anyway, but I was ready even though it surprised me because I thought he was stone dead up until this point. Thank God I didn't have to shoot him as he ran away or chase after him. I just grabbed him by the neck and all it did was give me a little extra adrenalin rush for a few seconds. I've had to tackle a few over the years. One instance my most memorable I'll share next.

2015 or 16 SEASON
That scenario above also reminded me of a time several years ago I was able to fulfill a life long dream I never thought would happen and chase a single season slam. After getting a few in the only state you can get that most southern U.S. turkey, I finally got on a hard hunted eastern in the afternoon on about day 3 of a 4 day hunt in another state you can get those. I hadn't heard a single gobble in 3 days of very hard hunting and finally struck this one gobbler. After working him for about an hour or so, he eventually went quiet and I figured he maybe had a hen or he was just wasn't in the mood to come to me then.

So, I sat tight and went quiet for about 30 minutes as well, hoping he would get curious and come to investigate eventually. I didn't know it was happening but during that time he flanked me and then kinda circled around behind me and then snuck in quietly to where I was setup under a large live oak tree with big swooping and drooping branches that almost came down and touched the ground in places. I was hid pretty good in this spot and next thing I know he's at 5 yards in full strut hard off my left shoulder. I shoot right handed by the way. About the time I saw him, he saw me and was dropping out of strut, slicking down, tucking his wings and about to boogie. I began to slowly move my gun up and over a bit as it had been pointed in front of me where I had hoped he would come from and where I had last heard him gobble. I swung on him as soon as he started to fast walk outa there and caught him at about 25 yds with my first shot as I was aiming in between branches. But, I didn't hit him very well because he was just starting to run at the shot, I really didn't aim much and actually shot at him instead of aimed at him and was fighting the cover that had let him get so close to me in the first place. I was again caught off guard when after the shot I had hit him but he cartwheeled a couple time, flopped a bit and then got back on to his feet. He then got running and tried to fly but couldn't due to a broken wing. So, I shot again as I jumped to my feet dodging branches from the big oak. He must of been at about 40-45 yds and I'm pretty sure I completely missed him, or at best just got a few more those old Win #6 Extended Range pellets in him.

Like a linebacker I then shot after him running the fastest I probably ever have in my lifetime because he was getting out of there and the woods were getting thicker and I was going to lose sight of him. I was just about to him as he was running directly towards a thicker creek bottom area when I tripped and went face first into the dirt. Like an idiot I was running with my gun and when I got up to my knees and saw him for a quick moment weaving back and forth I took another shot at him just as he disappeared. I know I didn't hit him that time so I quickly fumbled through my vest pocket for another shell and couldn't find one simultaneously running over to where I last saw him. When I got there I found no sign a turkey had ever even been there before.

To say I was dejected would be an understatement! I tore off my facemask, gloves vest and everything and through them, along with myself on the ground in disgust and disbelief. As I lay there out of breath, covered in mud and dirt, tore up by vines and other things that had grabbed me, I was beaten and my ego very bruised. I thought to myself, "I've got to be the worst turkey hunter in the world! I blew it! Not only did I blow it but just crippled and lost a beautiful gobbler! I'm and IDIOT and I  S-U-C-K !!! I think I'm ready to quit this foolishness and go home." At that moment all I could think of was everything I had done wrong and I struggled to think of what to do next.

After a few minutes of laying of the ground catching my breath and replaying what happened in my mind, I got sat back up and just thought that the best thing I can do in this situation is to pray. I'm typically not one to pray too much for myself when it comes to things like hunting. I pray for others a lot more and maybe things that are more impactful to the world than my hobbies, but under the circumstances I felt like that was the best thing to do. What came out was partially a prayer begging the Lord for a miracle, for forgiveness and one of repentance. I basically just prayed, "Lord I'm such a fool to let myself get into these types of situations. Forgive me that I've put so much time into this quest and forgotten about you in so many ways. I'm the worst! The worst human and especially the worst turkey hunter you've ever allowed to walk in the woods. I'm sorry for taking this bird for granted and for wounding him, please, please help me to find him and put him out of his misery. Thank you for not deserting me at my worst, Amen". Side note, I think it's pretty amazing that the things that seem like such a huge deal to us at a certain moment in time and maybe aren't do matter to God! In these moments God just says, go ahead, ask I got this!

So,after that I got to my feet and put my vest back on and gathered my things. I started to walk in the last direction I saw the gobbler run looking for blood, tracks, feathers and any sign of him or anything that might give me a clue as to where he might be going. There was a transition break along the trees where it got thicker and kinda dropped off down into this creek bottom so I began to walk the edge a little and had gone about 30-40 yds when I heard what sounded like something crashing through the leaves, trees and brush up ahead. I had to stop for a moment to really hear what it was because all though I could hear it, it was faint, but I could definitely tell something was over there. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but being from FL it sounded like something I've encountered many times. It at first sounded like a pack of hogs that were spooked and they were running through the woods banging into all sorts of brush, limbs, vines and every other thing as they fled trying to get out of there. However, as I listened I could then tell it was getting closer and sounded like it was somewhat quickly moving my way. I again reached into my pant pockets and my vest hoping to pull out a shell just in case I needed one in self defense from a pack of hogs, but I couldn't find one. I usually carry an extra 1 or 2 shells with me if such a situation should ever arise and had no idea where they were at this point. But then I remembered I'd had one in my pants pockets earlier and then put it back in my vest in another odd pocket some reason. I finally located the 1 shell and loaded my gun as the crashing got closer and closer, though it then became very clear that whatever was the source of the noise was not moving in a straight line, but kinda running a zig zag pattern like it was being chased by a predator.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, I had my gun ready just in case as I said before I might need it in self defense. That's happened in hog hunting before and I followed the sound back and forth until it finally got to about 35 yards in an area of the woods that got a little clearer. It was then that I could finally see it and was again in disbelief when it was a turkey! My turkey! The turkey I had shot what seemed like an eternity ago, but more likely 7 or 8 minutes before, was now bloody faced and blind, unable to fly, but able to run around like crazy bouncing off trees and brush back and forth, like a pinball. He'd move one direction hitting something and then changing course going quickly in another. I stood there clutching my gun, with only 1 shot left waiting for the perfect moment to shoot him. I couldn't get a clear shot and I wanted to make sure I put him down for good as soon as I had the opportunity.

When he zigged at about 20 yrds after running through a sapling, he again changed direction and now was running directly at me! There really wasn't much between us now to bounce him another direction because I was on the cleared edge out of the thicket and I got the gun on him. I didn't know crippled blind turkeys could run so fast and before I could get the gun on him, really aim and fire he was at 10yds and closing. As I followed him at 5 yds I knew at that range IF I hit him I'd blow his head off, his breast or wherever I hit him apart. Or what I thought more then likely would happen is I'd miss the running target all together and be back to trying to run him down. As he moved closer it when seemed like he zeroed in on me and I now got into more of a self defense mode. I felt like I was the one being chased down by a fast moving linebacker. At just a few yards, at what seemed like the last moment I instinctively jumped to the left as he came by me, slightly grabbing my gun by the stock more like a club or base ball bat and took aim at his head. I didn't do a full swing remembering I had a loaded gun, but I did hit him with my gun with enough force to knock his head back, roll him and take him off his feet. As he hit the ground I ditched my gun out of harms way and lunged towards him grabbing him by the neck. As I grabbed him he tried to pry himself out of my hands with both his fully functioning feet and legs and one good flapping wing. I was able to pull some kind of slick Rey Mysterio WWE move on him as he was beating the crap out of me and get his claws and spurs dislodged from my chest and then lay all my weight on top of his back as I held on and squeezed as hard as I could to his neck before he beat me senseless.

After a few moments I was again out of breath as both myself and the gobbler lay there completely motionless. Me covered in mud, scratched up, cut up and a little bloody, him with hardly any tail, neck, breast and back feathers left in tact. It was finally over! I do hate that it had to end that way, but I'm also thankful and I know 100% no doubt God answered my prayer that I got a chance in my stupidity and ineptitude to end it. There's a saying... if you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough! Well as I'm older and hunted turkeys and other game for years I've had to be tough a bunch of times. I think I'm finally learning some things though and getting a little smarter. Although, I can be somewhat judgemental sometimes and look at the things guys do and call them out for it when it reality man I'm guilty but have learned some from my mistakes and thank God he's protected me the midst of them.

I guess if anything at least with some of these YouTube and what not videos we can at the least learn from some of these others stupidity. Now my biggest lesson I've learned from them is DON'T GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION on where you're hunting. Why even mention a particular state or public land? Do guys get extra credit if they kill one on public? I'm just to the point now like I was years ago. I'm just some bumbling idiot walking around the woods lucky if I ever even get close to a turkey, squirrel, deer or whatever. I really don't know what I'm doing, but get lucky occasionally and I need all the help I can get!

I especially would like your help if you'll tell me where to go to at least hear a turkey and maybe even see one. People are always saying they don't want or need your honey holes. NOT ME, I want them! I don't kill many and will leave enough for you and I promise I won't tell anyone else. So, I'm just gonna sit back I'm watching, I'm listening and I'm looking for any clues anyone wants to give me. Thank you YouTube (INSERT SARCASM HERE) for helping me out and anyone else or any other place you want to give the information. Thank you!

I normally don't quote posts that long but it was worth enough to do so in hopes than someone else may read it.   ;D

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on May 18, 2022, 12:07:08 AM
But...  Most non-hunters (who are not "yet" anti-hunters) do not realistically associate their hamburger with an animal dying and being butchered.

You are never going to convince the anti-hunters...  I see no need to entertain any sort of discussion or debate with them.  My hope when discussing or sharing my hunting experiences with non-hunters is to give them a positive enlightened perspective of hunting...  And any time you post a video on YouTube you are sharing your perspective with some "non-hunters."

And as far as reality...  I have never seen a turkey that I shot have his head explode in slow motion; I have seen that on YouTube...  Hunting videos on YouTube are often more "gory" than actual hunting...  I have taken a few non-hunters or first-time hunters, and most have been surprised at how "non-gory" it is.

I always feel there should be a certain respect to the animal I am hunting...  Laughing and talking into a camera, while stepping on a birds head (even though it is pretty much dead), is not a great image to put out to the non-hunting community...

Frankly, most of that does not bother me enough to think about it for too long...  My biggest gripe is guys braggin' about what tremendously good hunters they are, who seem to want to kill a bird at any cost...

Totally agree,...especially the part about respecting the bird.  When any of us "harvests" a gobbler, we should treat it with the respect it deserves after the fact.  Anything less is an insult to both the animal and to the community of hunters who are passionate about this lifestyle and this majestic bird. 

saltysenior

So true......But the "Blood and Guts'' fraction of hunters are doing the sport injustice by condoning graphic footage and scenes of animals and birds being killed.. when the bear problem in Florida was being reviewed by the FWC , the anti-hunters showed up with tons of photos .....Guess who won ??   

Sir-diealot

Mine and not just for Youtube is the stupid music, especially the rock and roll music when watching the turkey are coming in. I am sorry, well no I am not, I want to hear the sounds of nature that God created not some music video. That is why I prefer the old Primos, and Mad videos as well as the other old ones from the 90's. Oh and Roger Raglin, that old guy ain't quite right in the head. Love my old Fred Bear videos too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 21, 2022, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: Marc on May 18, 2022, 12:07:08 AM
But...  Most non-hunters (who are not "yet" anti-hunters) do not realistically associate their hamburger with an animal dying and being butchered.

You are never going to convince the anti-hunters...  I see no need to entertain any sort of discussion or debate with them.  My hope when discussing or sharing my hunting experiences with non-hunters is to give them a positive enlightened perspective of hunting...  And any time you post a video on YouTube you are sharing your perspective with some "non-hunters."

And as far as reality...  I have never seen a turkey that I shot have his head explode in slow motion; I have seen that on YouTube...  Hunting videos on YouTube are often more "gory" than actual hunting...  I have taken a few non-hunters or first-time hunters, and most have been surprised at how "non-gory" it is.

I always feel there should be a certain respect to the animal I am hunting...  Laughing and talking into a camera, while stepping on a birds head (even though it is pretty much dead), is not a great image to put out to the non-hunting community...

Frankly, most of that does not bother me enough to think about it for too long...  My biggest gripe is guys braggin' about what tremendously good hunters they are, who seem to want to kill a bird at any cost...

Totally agree,...especially the part about respecting the bird.  When any of us "harvests" a gobbler, we should treat it with the respect it deserves after the fact.  Anything less is an insult to both the animal and to the community of hunters who are passionate about this lifestyle and this majestic bird.
I have to agree with this as well. I have seen people do things in not only turkey hunting but in other forms of hunting that are very disrespectful. I know the guy and the other guys involved but was not there where the guy jumped on a coyote that had been shot and started punching it and cussing it out like it was some kind of incredible victory. I never liked the guy to begin with because I know he is a thief but man had that been filmed and put online that would have been horrible for all of us. Nobody in my group has hunted with him since by the way.

Oh the pictures you take, make them respectful as well, not only respect the animal but respect the memory, if it is a deer put the tongue back in the mouth, if you can't edit it out before you post it online, (If you don't know how send me the picture and I will happily do it for you as I have others) it is just respectful to the animal. Wipe blood away if you can, do not take the picture where you have field dressed whatever animal where there is a pool of blood. Don't make stupid victor poses, I hate to see the pictures of the guys with one foot up on the animal, often one or more hand raised in the air, it is disrespectful to the animal you have taken. Laying down with your had next to the animal had and shooting down is both disrespectful and makes you and hunters in general look like idiots, don't do it. If you use an arrow that removes the head then don't put the two pieces next to each other and photograph them, it just looks very low class.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jim K

The first turkey I ever shot(a long time ago), heard my safety go off. I still got him but he was turning around to leave. When I know a gobbler is coming, my safety is off.

Also, I don't walk around with an unloaded gun. It's loaded, safety on and on my shoulder. I constantly check my safety throughout the day.