turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Teach Me About the Fighting Purr?

Started by BDeal, May 09, 2022, 07:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

What calls should I consider buying to best reproduce the fighting purr and are there any good suggested youtube videos to learn more about it?

Thank You!!

ChesterCopperpot

Hard to beat two push pins like [mention]Old Gobbler [/mention]runs in this video, but if you don't have two pushpins I run a good slate (green slate especially) and a mouth call at the same time. Main thing is running two calls at once when you're trying to imitate that sound. https://youtu.be/JXajI8V-PYg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Here's a big fight I recorded this winter and you listen to them fighting purrs versus the ones Shannon does in the video above and in my opinion they're indistinguishable. https://youtu.be/kaUeJ4wJG9w

Gooserbat

Push pin is hard to beat.  I usually use a slate or Aluminium because it's what I have on me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BDeal

It sounds like 2 push pins is best. Have folks also had luck with just one push pin or a slate using the fighting purr?

Thanks!

Number17

Gargle purr on a mouth call is the most authentic. Easy for me to sound like two gobs fighting. 
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: BDeal on May 10, 2022, 10:18:48 AM
It sounds like 2 push pins is best. Have folks also had luck with just one push pin or a slate using the fighting purr?

Thanks!
A fight means there's more than one bird. I've heard hens just aggressively purr when aggravated, sure, but if you're trying to imitate an actual fight it sounds like absolute chaos. You listen to that fight I recorded this past winter that I posted above and it was deafening loud with two or three all purring at once. [mention]Old Gobbler [/mention]mentions running both push pins and cutting on a mouth call at the same time. The point being, you're trying to sound like multiple birds and honestly I think that multiple bird aspect is what tends to get the attention of the gobbler. So, yeah, you could aggressively purr on one call but if you're wanting to imitate a true fight sequence then there's more than one bird involved and so a pot and mouth call or two push pins makes that easiest. Back in the 80s Knight & Hale sold a set of two push pins with a cassette tape explaining how to make that call.