OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Older Halloran's

Started by 3bailey3, May 07, 2022, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Some guy has several of David's older pots on Ebay now, all priced around $100.

Dtrkyman

I have an old glass call of his.   I just looked and I have the same glass call that is at 150 right now.  I should sell it I guess?

lunghit

What makes the older calls better and than the newer calls?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

HookedonHooks

Quote from: lunghit on May 08, 2022, 07:17:02 AM
Computer Numerical Control and the natural variances of wood. David makes a fine call, old and new.

Greg Massey

I've got a couple of his pot calls, Walnut / Wenge laminated slate with yellowheart striker and Pupleheart / cherry laminate pot ceramic ...

Jbird22

Nothing...as with turkey calls in general, just a select few people trying to dictate the value of calls.

Zobo

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 08, 2022, 10:32:27 AM
Nothing...as with turkey calls in general, just a select few people trying to dictate the value of calls.

It's because they're not available in that style anymore. Not better, just no longer made, and therefore more desirable to some people. I have one of his old style glass pots, it sounds as good as any.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Jbird22

Things that are no longer made will always have a certain allure over those that are readily available. There's no doubt about that. However, some here will lead you to believe that his older calls are automatically better due to a change in manufacturing processes, which is an assumption at best. It's merely an attempt to initiate the inflation of value if we're being honest.

Variances in woods will cause identical calls to have different sounds, regardless if they're hand made or made by CNC. Regardless of how a call is made, it's the luck of the draw without being able to play a handful and pick the one that best suits your ears.

lunghit

Good to know. I have a newer Twisted Sister and it sounds great. I'll be in the woods tomorrow morning with it.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

wareagle22

While his newer stuff is really good, see if you can find ANYBODY who has an original Crystal Mistress or Twisted Sister that will trade you for a brand new one???

Ranger

I have an older DH double sider crystal and slate called a Sugartown Sweetness. Had several diehard DH guys try to buy that call from me. They said its rare and high quality, I just know it kills turkeys
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

HookedonHooks

Quote from: wareagle22 on May 08, 2022, 07:32:57 PM
While his newer stuff is really good, see if you can find ANYBODY who has an original Crystal Mistress or Twisted Sister that will trade you for a brand new one???
:z-winnersmiley:

Jbird22

Sure they wouldn't as it would be a poor financial decision. They would just buy a new one and have both. 

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 08, 2022, 09:59:47 PM
Sure they wouldn't as it would be a poor financial decision. They would just buy a new one and have both.
With that logic, why not sell the old ones and buy TWO new ones. It's like a free call, two for the price of one. One that was cheaper and better.... wait that's merely opinion, or maybe just "hearsay"....

Jbird22

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 09, 2022, 12:40:53 AM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 08, 2022, 09:59:47 PM
With that logic, why not sell the old ones and buy TWO new ones. It's like a free call, two for the price of one. One that was cheaper and better.... wait that's merely opinion, or maybe just "hearsay"....
Kind of like how "hearsay" is how you developed your opinion of CNC?