Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Started a "15'er" list for this turkey season. Or...Close Encounters of the Wild

Started by Treerooster, May 05, 2022, 02:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treerooster

Wildlife that has come within 15' of me makes my 15'er list. Because of the way I turkey hunt, sitting still a lot and "slipping" through the woods I tend to see a lot of wildlife up close. It's one of the things I enjoy so much about spring turkey hunting.

So I made a list of the various species I've had come by fairly close so far this season. Still 3 weeks to go too.

1.  Bunch of different song birds. Some I know and some I can't identify, I wish I could tho. None landed on me...yet.

2. Raccoons. Seen quite a few and several up close. One went swimming by 10' away in a little creek with his head partially underwater. I think he was looking for crawfish.

3. Beaver. Got close to 2. One was feeding on the edge of his slough. The other was on land and I saw it as I was heading back to the truck as it got dark. I was between him and his water and when I stopped it came back by me less than 10' away ambling to his safe haven.

4. Hen turkey. She came to my calling and yelped & putted looking for the "hen" she heard. Always nice to know my hide passed the muster with her that close and looking for the "hen" that she knew was right there.

5. Coyote. He came strolling by 15' away and never knew I was in his world.

6. Tom turkey. Called him up and he was just 15'...right behind me. Gobbled twice right there. Poor set up on my part. Never did get him. Still plenty of fun!

7. Squirrel. Not uncommon but still nice to watch them go about their day from a few feet away.

8. Mature Ponderosa Pine tree. Yeah not to unusual to get close to a tree, but this one came to me. Fell over and landed 8' from me...woke me up from my nap!

Seen a bunch of other wildlife, just not that close. Saw what I am pretty sure was a Fisher and in an area I didn't think the were in.

Any close encounters for you?

bonasa

Thats a good list. I Had a weasel hunting in and out of the wall I was leaning against. That was pretty cool.

Turkeybutt

I had an Opossum stroll by me about 5 feet from my setup at the butt crack of dawn this morning.

NCL

Rattle snake I almost stepped on
Hen Turkey that attacker my decoy
Feral Hog at about 10 feet
Two Jake's at about 10 feet that could not find that hen

Zobo

I had a newborn fawn bedded down about 5 feet away from me for long time while I tried to call in his mother, I thought she was a turkey. Didn't know the fawn was there until I stood up, shocked. He was completely still the whole time, playing dead.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14