turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Silent birds.

Started by Wisgobbler, May 04, 2022, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisgobbler

Over the years I've killed a few birds that came to the call without so much as a gobble.  It has been the exception of course. 
I'm curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on what makes a bird silent. I'm thinking there are numerous reasons why a bird won't or prefers not to vocalize. I'd love everyone's input! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeymanjim

I think the number one reason is hunting pressure, not just the calling aspect of turkey hunting but the visual. Where the birds see hunters calling and walking.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

Predatory pressure from yotes & bobcats..

Butt whopping(s) from dominant gobblers.

Increased human or predatory activity levels in & around strut zones .

Turkeys being turkeys...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

zombiewoof

Was just reading an article on Outdoor Life on this topic. Along with the usual suspects (hunting pressure, henned up, etc.), the one thing that caught my attention is the observation noted at the end of the article that horned owls may be a deterrent to gobbling. Apparently the study (led by the turkey doc Mike Chamberlain) found that owls prey on (and prefer) toms  and will decapitate them off the limb. The study found that the number of tagged toms killed by owls picked up in March when gobbling activity started to increase. Pretty crazy stuff.

"Almost in every research site we have in the Southeast, we've seen predation by great horned owls," Chamberlain says. "I think this is as important as anything outside of human predation."

Here's the link to the article:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/how-to-hunt-turkeys-that-are-silent/?fbclid=IwAR1iCO4LiQ0UoWWI4qk95EZubZCt5baKDcr0GnmATQcn1Ip-hMmUwdoHev4

GobbleNut

Quote from: zombiewoof on May 04, 2022, 02:10:31 PM
Was just reading an article on Outdoor Life on this topic. Along with the usual suspects (hunting pressure, henned up, etc.), the one thing that caught my attention is the observation noted at the end of the article that horned owls may be a deterrent to gobbling. Apparently the study (led by the turkey doc Mike Chamberlain) found that owls prey on (and prefer) toms  and will decapitate them off the limb. The study found that the number of tagged toms killed by owls picked up in March when gobbling activity started to increase. Pretty crazy stuff.

"Almost in every research site we have in the Southeast, we've seen predation by great horned owls," Chamberlain says. "I think this is as important as anything outside of human predation."

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/how-to-hunt-turkeys-that-are-silent/?fbclid=IwAR1iCO4LiQ0UoWWI4qk95EZubZCt5baKDcr0GnmATQcn1Ip-hMmUwdoHev4

Learn something new every day!  I never would have thought that owls (of any sort) would have been a significant problem for wild turkeys, much less for gobblers.  Interesting. ...With this new information, I am predicting that Great Horned Owl numbers will be going down in the near future.   ;D   :angel9:

Wisgobbler

Wow! That's a huge surprise. I wouldn't have thought an owl (even a large one)  would prey on adult turkeys!

Turkeybutt

Read the posts from Gobblers Gobbling / Something to think About - Hens
Started by Greg Massey. Food for thought and some very good information from some of the other members.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 04, 2022, 02:43:20 PM

Wow! That's a huge surprise. I wouldn't have thought an owl (even a large one)  would prey on adult turkeys!

Owls are hell on turkeys and especially poults. They'll kill them off the limb at night.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on May 04, 2022, 08:53:50 PM

Owls are hell on turkeys and especially poults. They'll kill them off the limb at night.
I realize that owls take poults I just never thought an owl could take a full grown 20+ pound Tom. 

Paulmyr

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 04, 2022, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: Kylongspur88 on May 04, 2022, 08:53:50 PM

I realize that owls take poults I just never thought an owl could take a full grown 20+ pound Tom. 

As told by Dr Chamberlain, the owls hit them on the roost, lift them from the limb, and ride them to the ground. At the kill sites he's discovered there's a trail of feathers from the roost tree to the ground about 35 to 40 yds long.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

topnotch

During the season, you will encounter this behavior in every flock. Some people refer to this as a lockdown.
The things that contribute to it are multifaceted, hunting pressure is one for sure but I think predator and peer pressure from domant toms or Jake gangs also should be considered.
Normally they will gobble but later in the day instead of straight off the roost.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: topnotch on May 05, 2022, 06:41:28 AM
During the season, you will encounter this behavior in every flock. Some people refer to this as a lockdown.
The things that contribute to it are multifaceted, hunting pressure is one for sure but I think predator and peer pressure from domant toms or Jake gangs also should be considered.
Normally they will gobble but later in the day instead of straight off the roost.
I'm not talking about periods of time when turkeys aren't gobbling in answer to general calling or just randomly gobbling. I'm interested in the birds who hear the call and respond by coming to the call silent. Often sneaking in or coming in drumming but not vocalizing.
We all have periods of time when gobbling activity is shut down to some extent. Usually due to weather or because the birds are "henned up" but the birds that fascinate me are the quiet, so called ghost birds who come in silent even when other birds in the same area are vocalizing. 

runngun

I have experienced the "Silent Gobbler" numerous times through the years. Them jokers try and sneak in, if out of curiosity. That's why it is so important to always be alert and on "your game".
Because if you move, or decide to get up to change location, well then that's when you get to hear the awful loud "Putt". Followed by running and wing beats. When you get the hankering to leave try and wait 15-20 more minutes. I often wonder how many come in Silent and see movement, and not make any noise, just slipping out of your life forever!!!! Probably more than we would ever want to know.  One reason why I set up like I do. Usually try and find the thickest place to put my back against.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 05, 2022, 06:49:34 AM
Quote from: topnotch on May 05, 2022, 06:41:28 AM
I'm not talking about periods of time when turkeys aren't gobbling in answer to general calling or just randomly gobbling. I'm interested in the birds who hear the call and respond by coming to the call silent. Often sneaking in or coming in drumming but not vocalizing.
We all have periods of time when gobbling activity is shut down to some extent. Usually due to weather or because the birds are "henned up" but the birds that fascinate me are the quiet, so called ghost birds who come in silent even when other birds in the same area are vocalizing. 

Subordinates trying not to draw attention to themselves would be my guess.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

The one that came in silent on me and a buddy took a truck ride.  We had waited a few more minutes.   Nothing much happening and getting late in the day.  He was a ragged mess of a two year old, tail fan feathers broke off, one good gouge out of feathers on his side.  We figured mature bird whooped him or some critter tried to take a bite.  Either way, he was sneaking in to the hens.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.