News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The whip poor will bird

Started by chadly, May 01, 2022, 10:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallard1897

Nice job and nice bird.

I didn't realize Whippoorwill were becoming more rare to hear these days. Hunting in the Northeast when out real early in the morning I usually hear them most places.

Some other favorites would be the wood thrush and Carolina Wren. Any time I hear their calls it takes me back to sitting in the woods listening to the day begin. Love to hear the gobble but there's so many little aspects to turkey hunting that make it so enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sasha and Abby

roberthyman14

Seen 1 a few weeks back. Musta got clipped by a car.  Was gonna take him to a bird sanctuary but I had someplace I couldn't be late to and they won't meet you anywhere. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats on a fine Tom. Great story and picture. Love hearing whippoorwill singing, dont hear them as much now as years ago, always brings back memories of camping with my family.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Old Timer

Nice story. Reminds me of in the 50`s in Kentucky I hears that song all the time. Loved it.

chadly

Wow!  I did not realize every loved the sound of the song birds as much as me.  Neat to hear your experiences and the memories that were made around a song birds.  Enjoy your time in the woods, cherish the moments, and be safe.

Jim K

I have one place I go where I hear them. It is a treat. I heard the chucks will widow when hunting Florida. That was a treat too. Being a bird watcher, I enjoy the warbler songs and all the other birds of spring. Thanks for the story and congratulations on a fine bird.

Turkeytider

I will never forget one dark Spring morning on Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. It was dead quiet, dark as pitch, pretty spooky in the woods. it didn`t help that the night before I had watched a TV show about MOMO ( the Missouri Monster), Missouri`s bigfoot. Well, one of these birds cuts loose, and he couldn`t have been more than 10 yards away!! If I jumped less than 8 feet in the air, I find it hard to believe! My gun flew in one direction, a small field pack I was carrying flew in the opposite direction!! I bet it took me 10 minutes to get my heart rate and breathing back under control! 

roberthyman14

Quote from: roberthyman14 on May 01, 2022, 05:30:41 PM
Seen 1 a few weeks back. Musta got clipped by a car.  Was gonna take him to a bird sanctuary but I had someplace I couldn't be late to and they won't meet you anywhere. 

So all this had me looking up for more info.  I think my picture is actually a chucks will widow?
Any thoughts if I'm correct

Tom007

Cowboy

Great story. That's why we all do it. Love hearing the whippoorwill as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Great story love the sound track and congrats on a nice gobbler

Turkeyman

Only one of my hunting spots has a whip-poor-will. I've hunted it a few years and, hunting it again this morning, it's still there. Hope the little guy sings again next year! Love that song. Usually he sings for an hour or so, this morning only five or six notes.

Paulmyr

The only time I hear them is when I'm turkey hunting so the song has a special place for me as well. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and hearing them. Puts a smile on my face but makes it hard to sleep, as if it weren't hard enough already, because the weather is usually pretty nice when they are going. Keep tossing and turning with thoughts of quiet woods and thunderous gobbles!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

saltysenior

Have not heard a Wip-O-Will in the last 10 yrs. ,,All ground nesting birds, including turkeys , are in decline.