Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got too aggressive - lesson learned (hopefully)

Started by Dhamilton1, April 22, 2022, 11:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

Had a tom hammering across a little valley from me earlier. Was trying to work him but he was getting further away. Decided to get aggressive and back track then drop down in the valley and back up the other side to try and cut him off. Wrong move! Once I got where I thought he'd come, he hammered back on the other side where I just was. Hopefully I'll learn from this. Lol

"Curiosity kills the cat but impatience kills the turkey hunt".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

We've all been there and done that. It's a choice I have to make on almost every hunt. Should I stay or should I go after him? Sometimes I choose correctly but most times I don't.
I've gone after him and gotten busted, gone after him and he moved to where I was, and I've sat tight and he walked away gobbling, and occasionally I sit tight or go after him, and I score. That's the frustrating game that is turkey hunting.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

The gobblers knee are better then mine...

I'll sit & wait on him to come or not to come...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

guesswho

A lot of times the sound you make moving out is enough to get him to come in.   If I decide to reposition I do it as quietly as I possibly can.   If I decide to sit on him I'll make that same racket as if I got up and walked away and then go silent for a while to see his reaction.  I  and people hunting with me have killed several birds this way.  How many times have you sat there and he has gone silent, only to gobble when you decide to get up and or take a couple steps?   Ever wonder why?   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Zobo

You will learn from these kind of outings and you have already. You're right about impatience.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: guesswho on April 22, 2022, 01:38:26 PM
A lot of times the sound you make moving out is enough to get him to come in.   If I decide to reposition I do it as quietly as I possibly can.   If I decide to sit on him I'll make that same racket as if I got up and walked away and then go silent for a while to see his reaction.  I  and people hunting with me have killed several birds this way.  How many times have you sat there and he has gone silent, only to gobble when you decide to get up and or take a couple steps?   Ever wonder why?

Good advice

GobbleNut

Does grunting and groaning trying to get up off the ground help or hurt with that tactic?...   ;D ::)

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 23, 2022, 06:38:29 PM

Does grunting and groaning trying to get up off the ground help or hurt with that tactic?...   ;D ::)
It does during deer season, not so much during turkey season.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Zobo

I will admit when I first read this take I thought it was a little nutty. But yesterday morning I think this exact scenario happened to me.
     I was working a difficult Tom for a long while but he just wouldn't commit. He soon went quiet and I waited for a long while more, occasionally calling, hoping he would come back. After a while more, I got up to stretch my legs, make a phone call and gather my stuff.  I looked over a small hill to my left and saw him and another coming straight at me. I was not being super quiet!
     So I sat back down and got quiet and ready and of course they stop coming! I waited a little longer and then started hitting him with cluck after cluck on a trumpet. Some simple three note plain yelps and he finally shows over the hill.
     I dont know if the sound of me leaving brought them toward me but it definitely didn't scare them off. Mabye it peaked their interest for some reason. Interesting because it certainly seems counterintuitive.

Zobo

This is the stubborn gobbler I shot. Finished him with the L Stowe trumpet.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: Zobo on April 26, 2022, 07:37:40 PM

I will admit when I first read this take I thought it was a little nutty. But yesterday morning I think this exact scenario happened to me.
     I was working a difficult Tom for a long while but he just wouldn't commit. He soon went quiet and I waited for a long while more, occasionally calling, hoping he would come back. After a while more, I got up to stretch my legs, make a phone call and gather my stuff.  I looked over a small hill to my left and saw him and another coming straight at me. I was not being super quiet!
     So I sat back down and got quiet and ready and of course they stop coming! I waited a little longer and then started hitting him with cluck after cluck on a trumpet. Some simple three note plain yelps and he finally shows over the hill.
     I dont know if the sound of me leaving brought them toward me but it definitely didn't scare them off. Mabye it peaked their interest for some reason. Interesting because it certainly seems counterintuitive.

Scratching the leaves can have the same effect without the need to get up and move around.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

Yes, it makes sense if you look at it that way, hens scuffing around sounds. Ive always heard about that technique but never had the guts to try it. Maybe I'll try that next time, I'll skip the 6 minute phone call of course, lol!

guesswho

I will admit when I first read this take I thought it was a little nutty.[\quote]

A lot of things that come out of my mouth turkey hunting related sounds a little nutty.  :laugh:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Zobo

Quote from: guesswho on April 26, 2022, 10:24:16 PM
I will admit when I first read this take I thought it was a little nutty.[\quote]

A lot of things that come out of my mouth turkey hunting related sounds a little nutty.  :laugh:

At least your not boring!
:TooFunny:   :TooFunny:   :TooFunny: