turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Apex tss #9

Started by Paulmyr, April 22, 2022, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Just received an email from a rep at Apex. No more Tss #9's going out until after the waterfowl season. I can't find them anywhere.

I'm trying to make the switch to a 20 gauge and TSS. Bought 2 boxes of Apex #9's back in March thinking I could pattern a brand new 20 with it and have enough left for hunting this season. Didn't want to get carried away and buy multiple $100 in shells until I figured out how it patterned. Having issues with the new 20 shooting 10" left at 35 yds. I've burned up 3 apex shells and few 2 3/4 generic lead loads. The lead patterns terribly out of the extra tight turkey choke. The apex has a great pattern just way off the mark. $30 in on Tss and I'm going to have to burn up some more.

I've got a new choke to try out hopefully it works better than the last. Down to 7 shells. Hopefully I can get it to work and have enough left for hunting other wise I'll have to dump more money into a different brand Tss. Best the guy from Apex came up with is "we got our small town blend of 7.5/9's in stock!"

My season starts this weekend and I'll be going hard until the end of may. Guess I'll still be using the 12 gauge for a little while longer til I can get this 20 gauge pattern thing figured out.

I'm having second thoughts on the economics of my decision. I was looking forward to toting the 20 this season. Maybe relegate the 20 to a grouser and keep with the 12 until I can talk myself back into spending nearly $10 a shot on a more reliable source of ammunition.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gmed

Are you using optics on your gun - red dot or scope?

RutnNStrutn

After patterning with good results, I went all in and bought 4 boxes each of the Small Town Blend for my 12 ga & 20 ga.
What choke are you using? I was recommended by an Apex field rep to try Indian Creek chokes. They worked great for me!!
Just this week I got an email from Apex saying their Small Town Blend was back in stock. I was planning on getting some but by the time  I got on line, they were already sold out again.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: Gmed on April 22, 2022, 11:10:03 AM
Are you using optics on your gun - red dot or scope?

Shooting bead for now with stock turkey choke. The pattern is very good it's just way left. Gobble dot pro series sights should be here tomorrow. Was thinking problem was with me but after the poor patterning lead at 20 yds was shooting left  I let my father shoot it with the same results. My thinking is the choke tube is bent to be shooting so far left. I'll get it out this weekend and pop some generic lead loads through the standard full choke. If that goes well I'll put a borrowed stock turkey choke in and check that.

I guess I'm just having issues with buying a brand/ammo size that's only available for 1 month of the year. Apex #9's didn't become available anywhere until early March of this year. Just over a month later no more will be available until next year.

Looked into getting an Indian creek choke as I've read here they throw great patterns with apex problem is last time I checked Indian creek chokes were sold out. Not even the Indian creek web site had any available for my gun.

Edit; I should add, stock turkey choke from stoeger 3020.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

joey46

I'm on Apex's notification list also.  Saw the blend was in stock but passed.  Over the years have tried different blends from various manufacturers and wasn't impressed with any of them.  I have a  two 12 ga Ninja 8.5 left.  That should be good enough for 2022.   :OGturkeyhead: Done in Florida and hope to hunt a western state with a one bird limit.  Have never needed a second shot since making the TSS switch

Old Timer

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 22, 2022, 10:57:48 AM
Just received an email from a rep at Apex. No more Tss #9's going out until after the waterfowl season. I can't find them anywhere.

I'm trying to make the switch to a 20 gauge and TSS. Bought 2 boxes of Apex #9's back in March thinking I could pattern a brand new 20 with it and have enough left for hunting this season. Didn't want to get carried away and buy multiple $100 in shells until I figured out how it patterned. Having issues with the new 20 shooting 10" left at 35 yds. I've burned up 3 apex shells and few 2 3/4 generic lead loads. The lead patterns terribly out of the extra tight turkey choke. The apex has a great pattern just way off the mark. $30 in on Tss and I'm going to have to burn up some more.

I've got a new choke to try out hopefully it works better than the last. Down to 7 shells. Hopefully I can get it to work and have enough left for hunting other wise I'll have to dump more money into a different brand Tss. Best the guy from Apex came up with is "we got our small town blend of 7.5/9's in stock!"

My season starts this weekend and I'll be going hard until the end of may. Guess I'll still be using the 12 gauge for a little while longer til I can get this 20 gauge pattern thing figured out.

I'm having second thoughts on the economics of my decision. I was looking forward to toting the 20 this season. Maybe relegate the 20 to a grouser and keep with the 12 until I can talk myself back into spending nearly $10 a shot on a more reliable source of ammunition.
Wait for your sights, use lead to pattern then try your tss at 20 and 40. Good luck

Dtrkyman

Get the gun fitted properly at a reputable smith that knows how to fit shotguns!

I have seen certain turkey chokes pattern way off, try factory full.

Target loads at like 25 yards, pattern board and three shots where you do not aim, just shoulder and shoot like wing shooting, will tell you if the gun is pointed at the target or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

If money is a issue  on buying ammo stay away from TSS. When using a turkey choke 99% of the time your poa/poi is going to be off. If you are only wanting to use bead use lead. Shouldn't decide to use adjustable fiber optic/red dot/ scope  and TSS sight in at 12 yards with cheap lead so that you can center your load then go to 25, 30 and 40. Once you have your lead load centered up at the 40  shoot 1 tss shell. You should be very close to center but most likely will have yo adjust elevation . Regardless of route you go I hope you have a great season!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

Seems like all types of manufactured turkey ammo has been very limited this year. Its been difficult to find for sure. I did the same as you this year and went with a new 20ga. I was lucky that my gun patterened well right off the bat and POI was very close to inexpensive lead loads. Best of luck.

Paulmyr

Quote from: USMC0331 on April 22, 2022, 03:47:56 PM
If money is a issue  on buying ammo stay away from TSS. When using a turkey choke 99% of the time your poa/poi is going to be off. If you are only wanting to use bead use lead. Shouldn't decide to use adjustable fiber optic/red dot/ scope  and TSS sight in at 12 yards with cheap lead so that you can center your load then go to 25, 30 and 40. Once you have your lead load centered up at the 40  shoot 1 tss shell. You should be very close to center but most likely will have yo adjust elevation . Regardless of route you go I hope you have a great season!

Moneys not the issue, the issue I'm having is the availability. Find it hard to believe with the demand for these loads the company doesn't plan to manufacture any more loads until next year.

USMC0331

It's like like om every type of ammo. Tool me 9 months to get 20 guage hulls.