OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Prudhomme Trumpet Bird

Started by Sixes, April 20, 2022, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

I have planned to use the Mark Prudhomme trumpet that I won last year in the KT Team raffle to kill at least one bird and yesterday I finally caught up to this gobbler that I had battled with last year (fairly sure its the same bird), last week a couple of days and yesterday.

Yesterday morning, we got down to the land and I slipped in close to where he had been last week, it was hot last week and the hunting was slow. Yesterday was around 38-39, clear and breezy and he was hammering to start with but went quiet when he got with hens after flydown, but started back around 10 yesterday morning. I could hear him gobbling up and down creek bottom and I decided to leave him until after lunch. I went back in about 1230 and on the first note that I made, he gobbled and for the next hour, he gobbled and gobbled up and down the creek. I got quiet and he then he went quiet and I kept telling myself to wait him out that he was coming to me, but impatience got the best of me and I dropped off the edge of a terrace and went about 50 yards and met him face to face at about 40 yards as he was circling around above me. He didn't putt nor spook too bad, but it was over and he stopped gobbling.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, I felt like he would still be in that creek bottom, so after an early supper, I slipped down the creek a ways, waited until about 7ish and made some quiet clucks on the trumpet. When I did, he sounded off, I waited a minute or so and hit the trumpet a little harder and not only did he gobble, but he was closer and excited.  This time, I moved away from him up the creek about 50 yards while clucking as I went, I then went up the side of a hill, plopped my butt down, faced the direction he was gobbling and waited. Less than 10 minutes and a half dozen gobbles later, I saw him strutting up the bottom. I let him actually go a little past me, and when he broke strut, I had the green circle of the Holosun around his head. Hit the trigger and it was over. Long story about the Mark Prudhomme raffle trumpet's first kill.

I sat with my Dad this morning and it was a little bittersweet without hearing him gobbling or any birds gobbling.

JeffC

Congrats on a fine warrior, awesome to get some blood on that Trumpet, especially with money going to a great cause. Wish you luck getting your dad back out there with you on the next one. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

gergg

Congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

sbbow

Congrats on both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron Johnson

davisd9

Congratulations and the call looks great beside that longbeard
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleGitr

EZ

Zobo

I definitely know what you mean. When I hunt my property and shoot a strong gobbler and then the silence...indeed it's bittersweet.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

richard black

Congratulations on a very nice bird. Always great with a trumpet.

Chris O

Great memories being made, and glad you made your goal, congrats

ElkTurkMan

Congrats on your bird. I enjoyed reading this!

Tom007

Great story, great bird. Congrats
"Solo hunter"

jbrown

A great hunt and a awesome gobbler! Great memories!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Congratulations - great story and gobbler, forever tied to a fine trumpet