turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Temperature effects

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, April 19, 2022, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Lately it's been kinda cool here in Virginia and I'm wondering if that has an effect on gobbling.  I remember going on youth day in NC last year and it was 28 degrees, but I heard lots of gobbling.  Past couple of mornings I haven't heard a thing and it's been in the 40s both days.  A guy at work told me they won't get fired up again until it warms up later this week.  Thinking of skipping early morning hunts until the temps get back to the 50s in the morning, but I don't really know if temperature matters.  I've read barometric pressure and daily average temperature has an impact on gobbling.  The barometric pressure seems to be in the range for gobbling for my area, but the temps are on the low side (below 60 for the daily average).  Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 38 and Thursday morning is not much better at 40. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sixes

38 in GA this morning and I heard a lot more than last week when it was hotter.

sswv

I figure them ol boys are just like all ol boys....they get more lonely when it's cold. LOL

blake_08

I've heard some of my best gobbling this year on the coldest mornings, in the 30s. Typically the days when you have higher barometric pressure is also the days you have colder mornings and warmer afternoons.

ruffbritt4

I was in Virginia last week and thought the same thing, but then I remembered a bird I killed last year that was a gobbling fool on a cold morning with snow on the ground. I'm not really sure what makes them gobble or what makes them quiet.. that is why I go every chance I have. I've heard them in almost all conditions but strong wind/rain. Could be that they are quiet, could be that I just couldn't hear them.

Mountainburd

Cold clear mornings with high pressure seem to warrant the best gobbling in my area.  The warms spells with not so cool nights do not.  We got 3 inches of snow yesterday, and I felt like I was hiking in for deer season this morning with my trek up the steep ridge with temps hovering in the mid 30's.  With that being said, today was the best roost gobbling I've heard since the season started here. 

Meleagris gallopavo

Thanks, your comments lead me to think I just need to keep going....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sasha and Abby

heard nothing this am with 44 degrees...  yesterday morning at 60 they were on fire...

Tail Feathers

I was out scouting at daybreak Friday at 60 degrees and they gobbled real good.  This morning at 47 degrees the gobbled less, I would estimate 40% less.
Over the years it seems to me the best gobbling mornings were pleasantly cool and clear, but not real cold-mid 50's being about ideal.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deadbuck

Temperature effects cant be explained. Any given day, if you did not hear any gobbling at X location, I can assure you within 15 miles of you some bird was lighting it up. See it happen everyday

g8rvet

My favorite day is after the front has moved through and the wind has died and it is cooler in the morning.   That is not all Tom's favorite day though.  Had that exact scenario a couple weekends ago and we heard three gobbles from 2 birds. 

I think that those days that are rainy/stormy/windy in the afternoon are best to make the Tom's lose track of where the hens are and I honestly think that is the best cause of gobbling.  Unless we are talking about an individual bird, then who the heck knows.  Not sure they do. 

I hope they gobble every day I can hunt and are quiet as a church mouse on the days I can't!  ;)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

nyhunter

If the cold temps kept turkeys from gobbling they'd never gobble here in NY, some mornings are just better than others, Temps don't seem to have any baring on it. We had 6" of fresh snow on the ground here this morning and the birds were gobbling like crazy. But I bet other places within a 5 mile radius there weren't gobbling at all .

that's just my  :z-twocents:

Last Frontier Hunter

We've killed birds in MN when it's been 20 degrees. As long as it wasn't windy and there was no precipitation, they gobble good. Cold, calm, and clear, hold onto your helmet.

turkeyfool

I'm convinced 45-50 degree morning at first light getting into the mid 60s by noon or so is probably the best temps I've seen for gobbling. Does depend on the region. I've had birds hammering in SD in cold temps. But for the most part, I like mid to high 40s at first light

deerhunt1988

I've started sleeping in on mornings below 45.