OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Run’N’Gun “In the rain rig” set up

Started by aclawrence, April 12, 2022, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Yesterday was my first day to hit the woods this season. I missed the opener due to truck problems and it just worked out for me to go this Monday. The weather forecast was crap but I couldn't wait any longer so I packed up and went.   My main vest set up is an Alps Grandslam that I have done a few modifications to. This year I have put together and extra system for when I'm going to walk long distances or for when the weather is bad like yesterday. It's a combination of a Hill People Gear chest rig, a Kifaru Hydro Harness and a Glenda Green inner tube seat. I've got a platypus bladder in the back and you could stuff a few other items in the pocket like a shirt or something if you needed to.  I carried some snips, and a couple calls in the chest rig. You need some weight in the front to keep it all balanced. Over all I was pretty impressed with the set up. It was really nice not carrying the heavy vest and I didn't want to get it all wet in the rain. I also carries a camo spray painted umbrella that was nice to have. I started out with the seat attached on the back to the hydro harness but this became annoying really fast because I had to take the whole set up off to get the seat. That meant taking off my bino harness (Rick young) my trumpet lanyard and mouth call pouch just to get the pack off. That didn't work so I switched the seat to the side and just clipped it onto one of the straps of the hydro harness. I thought this would be annoying but it actually worked out really well and didn't bother me at all. The only thing that I would change is maybe make a quieter material cover for the seat so it doesn't make noise rubbing against you if your trying to be super quiet. Here's some crappy pictures with my phone mounted in some cedar tree limbs I took yesterday. Excuse the limbs in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Looks like a fairly light load out.  Go get one!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

Rainy weather, mouth call and a shotgun, done!

aclawrence

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 12, 2022, 06:09:16 PM
Rainy weather, mouth call and a shotgun, done!

You've got to sit on something!  Wet ground and no seat is no good lol!

ChesterCopperpot

I like it!

Old Timer

Nice looking setup. Give you credit for the modifications! Good luck.

Tom007

NCL

That is a very slick looking setup for distant walk in areas.