OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daughter’s Wild Youth Hunt

Started by Gumby, April 10, 2022, 06:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

Video of my daughter's hunt. I told her to cherish it because hunts like this dont happen much at all. I think she's getting a little spoiled....may take her to walk the public land mountains with me next time lol. Hope y'all enjoy.  This is her 3rd longbeard in 4 years.

https://youtu.be/Xj13-Pjd2Wc

Chief Razor

3 in the last 4 years, quite a roll shes on! Congrats!!

Gumby

Quote from: Chief Razor on April 10, 2022, 07:40:43 PM
3 in the last 4 years, quite a roll shes on! Congrats!!
That's what happens when you get to hunt private land honey holes!!

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

owlhoot

3bailey3

toneloc

Wow, that video is incredible.  I've heard some pretty nasty fights, but never got the opportunity to watch one like that. Congrats to your daughter, she timed up that shot with the gobble perfect.

The turkey gods seem to really shine down on the youth hunts.  Combination of being a week or 2 early towards peak breeding and less pressure from adults seems to be a deadly combination in my experience.

JeffC

Congrats to the young lady, great pictures. Thanks for sharing the video.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bigriverbum

congrats and very crazy hunt

i don't like where that guns pointing during retrieval

Gumby

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 10, 2022, 09:05:40 PM

Agree on the gun. I should've set it to the side. It was chamber open and empty but still should be down.

bigriverbum

Quote from: Gumby on April 10, 2022, 09:41:09 PM

Agree on the gun. I should've set it to the side. It was chamber open and empty but still should be down.

as i assumed. totally relatable situation, not making any judgments. just feel pointing that stuff out helps us keep safety in the forefront of our minds

Gumby

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 10, 2022, 09:56:25 PM
Quote from: Gumby on April 10, 2022, 09:41:09 PM

as i assumed. totally relatable situation, not making any judgments. just feel pointing that stuff out helps us keep safety in the forefront of our minds
Completely agree!

bigriverbum

i see the funky chicken. have you had much success with it beyond this insane day?

i've tried using one a few times with no success. but that's been my experience with any male decoy.

did you have a hen below him? i tried that last year

Gumby

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 10, 2022, 10:06:07 PM
i see the funky chicken. have you had much success with it beyond this insane day?

i've tried using one a few times with no success. but that's been my experience with any male decoy.

did you have a hen below him? i tried that last year
I only use decoys when hunting with my daughters out of the blind. That being said, I have always had success with the Funky Chicken. I typically place a hen down in front of him and have another hen or two in the area. One key trick is I don't use the stake to stand him up high. I just stick in the ground without the taller stake attachment. This keeps him short and even more subordinate looking. I highly recommend the decoy when used that way.

Yoteduster

That was a cool show...congrats to your daughter