turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Coyote and birds interaction

Started by bwhana, April 09, 2022, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

3 yotes have come to hen yelping this spring . 3 have gone to yote heaven!
I call up atleast one a year here during turkey season .  I personally don't think they have a big impact on the turkeys.
But they 100% impact our deer fawning .

ferocious calls

Quote from: Howie g on April 11, 2022, 06:29:29 PM
I call up atleast one a year here during turkey season .  I personally don't think they have a big impact on the turkeys.

Why do you think they came to yelping? I think because the dinner bell was ringing. 3 already this year, that you saw. They obviously know the bird is prey.

Howie g

Quote from: ferocious calls on April 11, 2022, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: Howie g on April 11, 2022, 06:29:29 PM

Why do you think they came to yelping? I think because the dinner bell was ringing. 3 already this year, that you saw. They obviously know the bird is prey.
Oh , I know why they show up to the hen yelping, and I've seen them go to a gobbler also .
I just don't think they succeed in catching very many grown turkeys .

dzsmith

a turkey putting is a way of allowing a predator to know that you have been busted. the closer you encroach after being busted, the quicker the tempo of the putt becomes. Yes quite often a predator will give up all together when they know the element of surprise is gone. This was documented by lovett williams long ago when recording his turkey talking tapes he used to do. He got to observe a lot of different things from various species of turkeys in various seasons in the wild while his only goal was to record them.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

Quote from: Marc on April 11, 2022, 10:25:35 AM
I have called in coyotes multiple times while turkey hunting...  Generally in tight cover where they can ambush the birds.  I think in open ground, both critters know that not much is going to happen.

I agree with turkey_slayer though...  Yotes probably are not that much of an impact on turkeys...  And I would argue in my area, probably a net benefit.  They eat egg-eaters (such as raccoons and opossums), they also take some piglets from feral pigs (which are horrible nest destroyers), they also keep bobcats in check, and their main food source is rodents (which share much of the same food sources as turkeys and other wild game).

Bobcats are probably better at taking turkeys, but they also need cover for an ambush...  Was hunting with by BIL, and we saw a bobcat coming our direction with bad intentions...  However, before he got to us, he took advantage of a squirrel that was not paying attention.  His hunting antics bumped the birds we were hunting though.

Owls, crows, ravens, and feral pigs are probably the biggest threats in my area, followed by raccoons, opossums, and skunks as egg eaters.
I think we have all been there in the woods where we called up a coyote. The fact is......a stationary decoy isnt putting at the coyote. I have seen a coyote come at a decoy...but once again , out of nowhere. a stationary decoy, not alarm putting at the dog. its what i would expect.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

jhoward11

I have seen it before with a mature tom. They looked at each other from 40 yrds. away and the ote kept on walking. My guess is they know they can't catch them in a field setting, so why waste their time.

sixbird

A lot of years back, when there were still pheasants in Pa., I saw a fox come out of his den and walk right through a flock of pheasants. He acted like they weren't there, even though he was less than twenty feet from some of them.
The pheasants kept an eye on him but they hardly moved out of his way.
I guess they both knew...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk