turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NC #1

Started by tomstopper, April 09, 2022, 10:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Today was the spring turkey opener for adults here in NC. Tried to get both of my daughters up to go with me but Sophia decided to sleep in due to having a busy work schedule and a bunch of assignments due and Grace opted for sleep as well for other reasons (Someday they will get their priorities straight lol).

I decided to brave the 15 mph winds and went out solo. Right at daylight this guy and a couple of his buddies flew down directly in front of my setup at 30 yards. Didn't waste a second and at 0630 he was flopping.

Not my biggest but I will take him. We have permission to hunt a new property tomorrow morning only for one day so hopefully one of my girls will want to go or if not, maybe I will be fortunate enough to tag out.

9in beard, 1in spurs, 14.53lbs

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bagg-it Tag-it

Great job and congratulations!

ChesterCopperpot

Awesome! The fact they were on the ground at 6:30 perfectly describes how vastly different our state is from one end to the other. Where I live in the mountains they ain't even gobbling on the limb then and aren't coming down till usually 7-7:15. Hard morning up here. 50 degree weather shift over the past two days, wind howling, and an inch of snow when I got up this morning. I've got plenty of time to hunt so I skipped the morning. Might hunt some historical roost sites this evening. Congrats on that bird. And hope you rub it in a little on the folks who didn't get up with you to go this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

Congrats!  When my daughter was young I couldnt swing hunting solo, she was all about it. As she grew up her priorities changed. It happens. Good luck with the rest of your season.

mountainhunter1

Nothing wrong with that. Congrats!
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

tomstopper

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 09, 2022, 10:34:45 AM
Awesome! The fact they were on the ground at 6:30 perfectly describes how vastly different our state is from one end to the other. Where I live in the mountains they ain't even gobbling on the limb then and aren't coming down till usually 7-7:15. Hard morning up here. 50 degree weather shift over the past two days, wind howling, and an inch of snow when I got up this morning. I've got plenty of time to hunt so I skipped the morning. Might hunt some historical roost sites this evening. Congrats on that bird. And hope you rub it in a little on the folks who didn't get up with you to go this morning

I hunt Columbus and Brunswick county. These birds here are habitual. The property that I shot this one on has a set of roost trees that are deadly. They fly out to the edge and immediately make their way to the middle. Had to be quick when they flew right down to my setup. The wind was 15mph here. My daughter's decided that wasn't worth it. They both have good reasons but I definitely rubbed it in a little. My favorite saying is that "you can't kill them from the couch" and believe me, they heard that a bunch of times lol

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats on the "solo" hunt, good luck tomorrow.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

gobblerguide

I think yesterday was the worst gobbling opening morning I can ever remember,but I will say after not physically being able to hunt last year we have a great population of turkeys in my area.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

762hunter

Good way to start things out. Way to go!

Zobo

Your daughters sound a lot like my twin 18 yeat old sons, they're sleepers. Ironically my 11 year old daughter is more gung ho!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

owlhoot

Congrats , nice bird

Tom007

RutnNStrutn

Nothing wrong with that. Congrats!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeybutt

Congrats! Your turkey makes a good looking accessory in your truck. I'm looking to put one in my GMC. I hope Sophia and or Grace get up in the morning to go hunting with you.
Keep us posted.