turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Umbrella

Started by Marc, April 08, 2022, 04:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How many of you use a camouflage umbrella if it rains?

Was going to take my daughter out on a potential rainy day, and luckily we did not have to use it.  But I have used camouflage umbrella's several times in the rain, and it makes things much more comfortable.  I made a long stake with a joint, stick it in the ground over me, and stay nice and dry and comfortable.

I have also used it as a make-shift blind when my kids were younger, and I will take it duck hunting if the kids go when it might rain...  And, I use it in September for a shade for the dog if it heats up as well...  Good purchase for me.

I believe I might have posted this question a few years back, but just wondering if anyone else uses one?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

3bailey3

I can honestly say i have never saw a camo umbrella.

Cutt

Really don't enjoy hunting in the rain, and don't most of the time. But if it's one of those seasons where it seems to rain a lot. I'll use a trre umbrella if needed.

randy6471

I don't have a regular umbrella, but I do have several of the ones that attach to a tree. A couple of them are the old porta-roofs by Buckwing products (I don't see them around anymore) and the others are made by Gorilla Gear.

I use them mainly for bowhunting during the rut....more to keep my gear dry than myself, but I definitely throw one in my vest if there is a chance of showers when I'm doing a youth hunt. And they do make a pretty good blind when hunting with kids.

Kylongspur88

They're ok in a light rain but any wind and you'll get wet. I'd recommend a blind for rainy hunts with a kid

Sir-diealot

I have one that screws into the tree that I used a lot back in the 90's not much now since I hunt out of a blind. When I am deer hunting I sit in a tree seat at ground level and am trying to find one that straps to the tree instead of screwing into the tree.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

joey46

I've still got the old Buckwing.  Fit in the back of a vest and I used it as a quick ground blind.  Haven't used it in years.  Really didn't help much in a steady rain.

Turkeybutt

I dislike hunting anything in the rain, but it's better than sitting at home in the Lazy Boy watching U Tube hunts.
My time is limited as I'm sure it is for most of you.  So why not hunt every chance we have and be somewhat comfortable. I never used an umbrella  turkey hunting, but have used them while in my tree stand bow hunting white tail.
The umbrella helps and is most certainly better than nothing at all.
I have a good rain suit but it doesn't keep my vest and equipment dry. I would be interested in knowing what other people use or do to stay comfortable in the rain.

Cutt

Quote from: Turkeybutt on April 09, 2022, 06:35:38 AM
I would be interested in knowing what other people use or do to stay comfortable in the rain.

This umbrella

lacire

I'm waiting for Sitka to come out with one
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Marc

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 08, 2022, 08:46:14 PM
They're ok in a light rain but any wind and you'll get wet. I'd recommend a blind for rainy hunts with a kid

I have not had an issue...  Wind is at my back, and I angle the umbrella.  If the wind is howling and the rain is coming down side-ways, probably time to sit in the truck for a bit, but I have hunted comfortably in rain and wind...  I am still using rain gear, but the umbrella makes things more comfortable for sure.   

Couple years back, I hunted in a down-pour (no lighting)...  A good-sized limb fell off the tree I was sitting under, and amazingly, the umbrella blocked it...  Scared the crap out of me, and I was amazed that the umbrella blocked it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

camotoe

I use on to keep out of the sun .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

Dug mine out of the huntin stuff box.  Had forgotten what a quick and easy ground blind it makes.

OJR

I used one years ago bow hunting. Haven't seen it in a while but I bet it's still around. It came in handy many times. It was the type you tied around the tree. Worked pretty well.

aclawrence

I did this morning. I'm glad I had it but it was annoying holding onto it. It kept me pretty dry though. This is just an old cheap umbrella I spray painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk