OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blind or decoys on youth day? What's your opinion?

Started by cbillet22, April 05, 2022, 07:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbillet22

Getting ready to take my 7 year old out for his first youth day here in PA on the 23rd. He's been doing good shooting his youth 20 gauge. I have him shooting off a BOG Field Pod. Able to swing and get on target and prove to be accurate out to 30 yards (I won't let him take a shot further than that). I plan on taking him out to some state forest on youth day in area I've found plenty of success over the years. My question for you guys, would you rather carry a blind in with you to conceal any movement from a young hunter or would you rather carry in a decoy or 2 to help bring the bird in closer and possibly distract him from any movement? I'll already be carrying in the fieldpod, shotgun and of course plenty of snacks (a must with a 7 year old!) so I don't want to look like the Clampetts walking through the woods carrying a blind and decoys as well. We will probably be hiking in about a mile to the general area depending where/if we are able to roost one the night before. When by myself, I've always been the run and gun style to navigate these to public land longbeards! Any tips/advice you guys have would be greatly appreciate it! I'm looking forward to spending some quality time in the woods with my son!

Bowguy

I've mentored lots of kids throughout the years. Still continue to do so. I've done both and here's my thoughts. Some may say you don't need either and that's correct but remember what we're dealing with a child. A young one at that. Blinds if in the right area allow him to stretch his legs, grab a cookie out of his pouch or point when he hears one gobble. They allow him to use his phone, etc. I don't necessarily agree with all of that but let's be honest we want it to be enjoyable so he continues. Bring the blind.
Dekes can help position the bird in a place convenient for him to shoot. You said he's 7. Hoe will he react if he misses? Dekes will distract birds from looking at the blind and afford more opportunity for a shot in most cases.
If you noticed, it got warm. If that brings bugs have a thermacell handy. Spray his and your clothes with permetherin.
An honest mile is pretty far in. Might be a long walk for a little kid. If you can find one closer go for it. Youth day typically has little competition. When the kid is done, time to quit. Keep him ready to hunt the next time.
If you know how to roost birds, try and roost one night before  Nothing better than being in the game right off. Setting a blind up close the next morning do it lights off and super cautiously. Set the blind, than sneak under side. No zipper use. Good luck and think of the pictures you want to take. You only get one chance at recording his first bird.
First and foremost. Remember safety. If he scores, stay composed enough to make the gun safe before you congratulate him. Practice any scenarios you may encounter to make him ready. Good luck and I hope you do well. My photo pic is my youngest daughters first ever day hunting. Remember it like it was yesterday.

the Ward

If you can carry it, i would use the blind and decoys. But if he gets a turkey, that is going to be a lot of stuff to pack out. 1 mile hike with a 7 year old might be rough, depending on terrain.

Chief Razor

I was in the same situation with my daughter when she was that age. I picked up a blind hogg pack at the state deer and turkey expo. It made life so much easier. It will allow you to carry the blind, 2 chairs, gun, gun pod, decoys etc. comfortably on your back. All of those things I believe would help your young hunter to be successful. Good luck.

rakkin6

I use a large duck decoy bag to carry in a blind 2 to 3 decoys pack and chair. Don't do this on every hunt but when the weather is going to be bad I do. I hate the rain and won't be out in it without a blind. If I had to choose between the 2 with a youth I would say a blind just so they have more concealment if the get fidgety. This is the bag I use and you can fit quite a bit inside like I said.

https://www.academy.com/p/game-winner%C2%AE-mesh-duck-decoy-bag?sku=brown

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

OJR

Quote from: rakkin6 on April 05, 2022, 11:04:21 AM
I use a large dick decoy bag to carry in a blind 2 to 3 decoys pack and chair. Don't do this on every hunt but when the weather is going to be bad I do. I hate the rain and won't be out in it without a blind. If I had to choose between the 2 with a youth I would say a blind just so they have more concealment if the get fidgety. This is the bag I use and you can fit quite a bit inside like I said.

https://www.academy.com/p/game-winner%C2%AE-mesh-duck-decoy-bag?sku=brown

I need me one of those bags. Mine's too tight.

AndyN

I'll second the blind hog pack. They're worth their weight in gold if you hunt from a blind much. I can carry a double bull deluxe, blind stool(or 2 if I'm taking someone), 3 hard body decoys, bow, and calls hands free. I've packed it in a mile on several occasions.

bushangler

I'm a firm believer that a blind is like cheating for turkeys. For kids I want every possible advantage and used one for my daughter as well as every other youth I've brought. Getting a 7yr old to sit still long enough to get a bird in range will be very tough without one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firedup

I have taken lots of kids of various ages over the years.  Make it fun and keep it fun.  Age dependent their attention span is short. They will loose interest, get cold, get hungry, ect very quickly!  It is about the experience overall so be light handed.  Take snacks, let em run some calls, take a nap, whatever.  You want them to go again! I am echoing all the above posts so just some reinforcement.  A blind, dekes and the "assorted items" to keep it fun all help.  If I have to pack it in a mile to get that kid a lifetime memory..... sign me up!   

bushangler

Can you carry the blind and dekes in the day before and just go get it after the hunt? If possible that's what I would do then it's all setup and less hassle on game day!

Kylongspur88

For a 7 year old definitely a blind and decoys. 7 year olds can't sit still and they get bored easily so he'll probably need something to fiddle with while hunting. That blind will hide movement and the decoys will give the birds something to look at while your helping him get his gun up etc... Good luck

cbillet22

Quote from: bushangler on April 05, 2022, 01:18:36 PM
Can you carry the blind and dekes in the day before and just go get it after the hunt? If possible that's what I would do then it's all setup and less hassle on game day!

That is a possibility. We're making a whole weekend out of it with some trout fishing and camping. Plan on scouting and fishing the day before youth day and roosting one that night so I could always just pack the blind in when we roost and set it up before we head back to camp. Thanks for all the feedback! I know my son and I are both pretty excited for this trip, regardless of success!

toneloc

I'm a fellow PA hunter, and I guess I'll be the loner here and say no decoys and put him between your legs. 

I personally have had more negative reactions to decoys in PA than success, but I know guys who have used successfully.  Some of that might be the areas I hunt, which is mostly woods and not fields.  When my son was 7, I had a buddy help for his first youth hunt.  He helping carry the decoys.  First setup wasn't time to put up the decoy and we called in a jake he missed it.  We circled to anther bird late in the morning, setup the decoy and the bird came in hot...nice long beard.  Soon as he saw the decoys he shut up and slinked off.  That was super frustrating.  I "invested" in some Avian X decoys figuring I needed a more realistic decoy.  Out by myself, late morning, get a bird hot, open hardwoods, perfect for a decoy right?  Beautiful long beard on a string and soon as he sees the decoy, get's nervous, alarm puts and walks off.  Realize it's a sample size of two, but I had your same idea of taking  eyes off movement and it has backfired on me.

On the blind, more than 90% of the time I end up with some type of a move vs. where I setup right off the bat.  That can actually break up the boredom and warm up a kid too.  Wild card for me on this one would be the weather.  If it's going to be 35 or lower and/or raining maybe the blind would be the way to go.  Other option is to use the blind for the initial setup and ditch it if you have to....and come back later to retrieve it without him. 

If I was hunting private land in fields, would be a different story on both perhaps....but public land woods in PA that's my 2 cents.

Good luck on whatever you decide!  Hope you guys have fun time and get an opportunity.

guesswho

If I was forced to use one or the other I'd take decoys.   I like being outdoors while I'm outdoors.  I think your 7 year old would rather be outdoors too, but I may be wrong.   I'd give them the option of dekes or a blind and go with their choice.   I know if I had been brought up hunting out of a blind when I was seven instead of being mobile I'd have lost interest about 55 years ago.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

I would say to give him every advantage, go with the blind and decoys. He has years to learn and become a great hunter. Let him be a kid, squirm and fidget, take a nap, play a game on a cell phone, and just be a little kid. The one thing you don't want is for him to have a bad experience. Best of luck to both of you!!