turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

KY Youth Opener

Started by toneloc, April 02, 2022, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toneloc

What a perfect morning in the Turkey woods.  Hard frost, calmest morning I can remember in a long time, literally zero wind where we were.  Got too aggressive on a bird we roosted Friday night and blew him into the next county.  Was upset with myself....but several other birds were sounding off so we picked one and started charging.  Ended up being 4-5 gobbling together.  They flew down with several hens just out of sight.  Worked 2 hens for about an hour with gobblers sounding off at us calling.  Great vocalizations.  They finally shut up, but was still getting a gobble every 15 minutes or so.  Heard a fight during this time as well.  Finally decided a move was in order and circled slight above them.  About 10 am one of them sounded off on it's own, not far from our original setup.  A little coaxing and he marched right up to us.  Joey tried to swing just as his head popped out from a big tree.  He immediately drew back and stared alarm putting.  I started cutting aggressive and he was going back and forth between alarm putts and gobbles.  I could see his head, but too steep for Joey.  He worked off and finally shut up.  During that gobbling and aggressive calling a bird started firing off across the drainage.  He didn't seem like he was going to come up the hill so we headed his way.  Just as we hit the bottom he fired off close!  Joey sat between my legs and a few calls and we could hear him spitting in some thick to the right. Joey swang right just as he popped out in full strut.  20 yds and Joey made a great shot, dropped him hard.  The turkey gods granted us an unbelievable morning in the woods with more chances than we deserved.   To top it off was a banded bird.  22 lbs on the boga grip fishing scale, whisker shy of 10" beard, 1 1/16" + 1" spur.  Thankful for such an incredible opportunity.  Looking forward to day 2.

Marc

What an exciting day for him! :z-guntootsmiley:

Honestly, I bet that bird was more exciting after losing 2 opportunities... Having a couple get away, makes success all that much sweeter!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

boatpaddle

Joey's smile says it all...

Congratulations to both of you...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Jimspur

Congratulations to y'all and good luck tomorrow!

Yoteduster

Congrats to you son on a nice gobbler

Chief Razor

Thats one proud young man, congrats!

Kylongspur88

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Aaron Johnson

ybuck

well ill be danged....that is the hunt of a lifetime guys!!
many. many congrats!!!

richard black

Doesn't get any better than that for the young man! Congratulations to you both on an exciting morning and keep smiling! ????

gunboy203

Congrats ...  And a banded one at that!!!   

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

joey46

PERFECT!  Big congrats.

JeffC

Big congrats to the young man! Sound s like a great opening day, with all the highs and lows of hunting. Good luck today.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Beautiful bird, fantastic memory
"Solo hunter"