turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stalked!

Started by harleytom, April 02, 2022, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Couldn't strike one off the roost this morning so I decided to just blind call from a likely area. I set up just above an old railroad crossing and made my first sequence of cutts/yelps. Suddenly I see a motion to my left. I see a grey shape headed directly towards me on the bank of the railroad. At first I think coyote but then realize it's a bobcat. My gun is across my lap pointed to my right and there is a small bush a foot to my left front making maneuvering difficult. I slowly move my gun to a vertical position and the cat freezes, staring straight at me, crouched behind a tree at 27 yards. After several minutes of remaining motionless my arms begin to burn from holding the gun and I realize I've got to make my move soon. I slowly bring the gun to my shoulder, avoiding the bush and twist to the right to allow my right arm to get on the trigger. All the while the cat just continues staring at me, I suppose wondering what this dark blob is doing. Finally I get my head down and put the scope on the bobcat's face and squeeze the trigger. Boom, the cat collapses and one more turkey killer is no more. Satisfying morning despite not hearing a gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grayfox

Looks like you came out on the best end of it. I've read about bobcats coming to hunters calling turkeys but I hope it doesn't happen to me. lol

Jimspur

Sometimes the hunter becomes the hunted.

EastKyGobblerSlayer

Last few years I've had coyotes come to me multiple times during season, a few of the not so smart ones didn't chase another turkey

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cottonmouth

Nice job. I shoot every one I see.

harleytom

Quote from: grayfox on April 02, 2022, 02:20:04 PM
Looks like you came out on the best end of it. I've read about bobcats coming to hunters calling turkeys but I hope it doesn't happen to me. lol
I understand, it was a bit unnerving for sure.

Marc

I have called in coyotes, foxes, and bobcats...  Probably more than I know.

Was hunting on the other side of a large fallen tree, and had a bobcat jump on the top, and was ready to come over until he saw me...  He casually walked to the other side of the tree and checked me out.  Seeing as how I am hunting in mountain lion country, it changed my hunting habits...  I now no longer hunt/hide and call where something can easily get me from behind.

Several, I have had yotes coming it at the same time as I do turkeys...  I have found that "waving them off" does not work...  Twice they have seen the hand motion and mistaken it for prey, and ran towards me for the attack...  Standing up with my gun pointed at them turned them around... 

I figure coyotes and even bobcats probably eat more egg eaters than they eat turkeys...  Can't shoot bobcats in California anymore, and unless a land-owner asks me to shoot them, I generally leave the coyotes and foxes alone as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

harleytom

Thankfully Alabama allows us to help control our predator populations as they continue to rise along with the decline in folks trapping. I am not sure what kind of prey this bobcat targeted but there is no doubt turkey was one of them.

Zobo

I've called in coyotes and foxes but never a bobcat. That's a pretty cool story and picture.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

lowoctane

:z-winnersmiley:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

RutnNStrutn

Been there, done that. Seems like predators are becoming smarter these days. Me and the crew I hunt with have called in many yotes, bobcats and foxes over the years. Killed some of them too! We've also had hawks and eagles attack our hen decoys. It must be tough to be a turkey!!
Good job taking out that cat!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

camotoe

I have had yotes and bobcats come in to my calling . 2 years ago I had 2 yotes come in one left , I should of went for the double . Gator had a fine lunch.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Cool cat. They arent in season here.

Zobo

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 04, 2022, 11:28:02 PM
Been there, done that. Seems like predators are becoming smarter these days. Me and the crew I hunt with have called in many yotes, bobcats and foxes over the years. Killed some of them too! We've also had hawks and eagles attack our hen decoys. It must be tough to be a turkey!!
Good job taking out that cat!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I too had an eagle swoop down to attack my hen decoy but it didn't hit it. It must have realized at the last minute something wasn't right. I couldn't believe how big the wing span was when it was that close in front of me, truly awesome. These are the added things you get just by being out there. I always tell the younger guys around me to  "spend more time in the woods, less time on YouTube!" You have to actually experience this stuff yourself, not virtually.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14