OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS hasn't caused a higher percentage of "unethical" shots

Started by JohnSouth22, March 31, 2022, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Hot take, but IMO the TSS craze hasn't caused a higher percentage of non ethical shots, simply it has only extended the range at which they happen. People have always pushed the limits of their patterns and it will always be that way. Hunters used to push it with lead, then Heavymetal, LBXR's, and Winchester extended ranges. They all pushed out the effective range another 10 or so yards, and now TSS is doing the same. but as far as being the detriment to turkey hunting I don't believe that TSS has caused any additional unethical shots.....only the range that they take place at. In the end, just know what your setup will do and hunt how you want to.

OJR

Ethical shots are ones which you are confident, to a moral certainty, that you are going to cleanly kill the animal. Depending on the equipment and game, it may be 10yds or 500yds.
My turkey range has extended to where I am confident out to 50yds. Do I always take 50yd shots? No. I'd rather have them inside 40. But when circumstances dictate, I am confident I can take an ethical shot at a longer range. Ethical is determined by the individual, his skill with the equipment he has in his hands. If you enjoy getting them inside 20, go for it! If he spooks and you take him at 40, there's no shame in my book.

g8rvet

I don't recall many ammo companies bragging about 60 yard patterns, nor You Tube type bombardment with long shots and pressure to get dead turkey grins from everyone in the past.  But you are of course technically correct, people will always shoot too far and did so in the past.

If I could and did kill birds at 60 yards with no reservation, I honestly think my total number of birds killed in my life would be nearing double (assuming I had not limited out later that year) - I honestly think I have passed that many shots over the years.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

terp

Gooserbat

Quote from: OJR on March 31, 2022, 05:21:00 PM
Ethical shots are ones which you are confident, to a moral certainty, that you are going to cleanly kill the animal. Depending on the equipment and game, it may be 10yds or 500yds.
My turkey range has extended to where I am confident out to 50yds. Do I always take 50yd shots? No. I'd rather have them inside 40. But when circumstances dictate, I am confident I can take an ethical shot at a longer range. Ethical is determined by the individual, his skill with the equipment he has in his hands. If you enjoy getting them inside 20, go for it! If he spooks and you take him at 40, there's no shame in my book.

Exactly.  I've been using tss since before most people knew what it was and while I can, and on occasion do shoot a long shot most of the time it's inside of 40 yards just like the days before tss.  I just like the confidence of knowing I can, if I want, take a tom farther.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Treerooster

I have always examined my turkeys fairly closely. Like I look for fighting scars on the skin, any anomalies, stuff like that. That last few years I have noticed more turkeys with injuries that have been previously hit by shot than I did in the years prior. Last season I came across a tom just before dawn that had roosted on the ground, I assume he was probably hit some how and couldn't fly.

I am not saying it was specifically TSS (could be hevi, long range lead loads...whatever), but I do believe there are more long shots being taken at turkeys (like in the last 6 to 8 years) than there were previously and some of those shots are resulting in turkeys being insufficiently hit . Nothing scientific about it, just my observations. But if you aren't looking for it you may not see it.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: terp on April 03, 2022, 01:53:12 PM
Depends on what your definition of ethical is?
Which is why ethics have absolutely nothing to do with what's legal. Ethics are an arbitrary thing. Your idea of ethical might be completely different than my idea of ethical, and both of our ideas might be different than the next guy.
That's why I support all legal methods of hunting, regardless of if I would do it or not. If it's legal and makes you happy, I say good luck with your pursuit.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

turkey_slayer

I've killed numerous birds with lead shot in them. Haven't seen the first one with tss. I remember old timers touting their 60 yard shots with lead. People weren't any different then it's just stupid people are connected to the whole world now with social media. Heck people didn't even pattern or know what patterning was back then

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 03, 2022, 02:26:14 PM

and while I can, and on occasion do shoot a long shot most of the time it's inside of 40 yards just like the days before tss.  I just like the confidence of knowing I can, if I want, take a tom farther.

Exactly!!

CrustyRusty

So from an ethical standpoint, you would support burning the American flag just because it's is technically legal? 

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 03, 2022, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: terp on April 03, 2022, 01:53:12 PM
Depends on what your definition of ethical is?
Which is why ethics have absolutely nothing to do with what's legal. Ethics are an arbitrary thing. Your idea of ethical might be completely different than my idea of ethical, and both of our ideas might be different than the next guy.
That's why I support all legal methods of hunting, regardless of if I would do it or not. If it's legal and makes you happy, I say good luck with your pursuit.

RiverBuck

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on March 31, 2022, 04:45:24 PM
Hot take, but IMO the TSS craze hasn't caused a higher percentage of non ethical shots, simply it has only extended the range at which they happen. People have always pushed the limits of their patterns and it will always be that way. Hunters used to push it with lead, then Heavymetal, LBXR's, and Winchester extended ranges. They all pushed out the effective range another 10 or so yards, and now TSS is doing the same. but as far as being the detriment to turkey hunting I don't believe that TSS has caused any additional unethical shots.....only the range that they take place at. In the end, just know what your setup will do and hunt how you want to.

JMHO... respectfully.

Definitely not a fan. When I see the you tubers shooting birds at 60 yards that are running it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.  I saw one video where this happened the hunter unloaded the gun on the bird. He shot the Tom, the wing was hanging on by a feather after the shot(s).  I'm totally disappointed with it. This has created many a bad long range shooting decisions.

As people recently stated, if it's legal and the hunter displays good woodsman-ship. I'm for it as well.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RiverBuck

The reality is, Hunting is a Bloodsport.
There always has been 50+ yard shots at turkey.
100 yard shots with a bow.
1000 yard shots with a rifle.
That will never change... All it takes is money and you can buy a weapon, license, ammo of your choice, and go hunt.
What need to be conveyed in a better way is woodsmanship and an honest look at your abilities with the weapon you're holding. The goal isn't a hail mary in hopes you kill what you're after but more of respect for what you're trying to kill in a humanely manor.

I was on the TSS is for .410's and 20 GA train for years but have since changes my mind.
There are advantages to shooting TSS in all gauge shotguns.

There are more advantages in hunting experiences you gain over years in the woods than benefits of TSS.
Social media is a larger contributor to the problem than TSS will ever be.
I wish we could stop the pressures of the next grip and grins and simply Hunt by yourself or with friends and family.
I did the OG turkey hunt contest last year, killed 2 birds and quickly realized I'll never do that again.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: CrustyRusty on April 03, 2022, 03:19:39 PM
So from an ethical standpoint, you would support burning the American flag just because it's is technically legal? 

That's a ridiculous question, but I do see your point. Since you are seeking clarification (though everyone knows you're just trying to start ), I will clarify for you.
To answer your question.....
NO!!!!!!
I am a patriot, and I love our flag and our country. I do NOT support burning the American flag.
Now, getting back to you simply trying to start . This is a hunting forum. We discuss hunting topics. This topic is not about burning our flag. Is it about hunting ethics and TSS.