turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for an upgrade!

Started by Archivist13, March 30, 2022, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

Hey guys and gals, I have a question for you. I have been mining the information in the group on vests, and figured I would ask for some personal insight based on my needs. I am finally hanging up my old 10X turkey vest (pic) from the early 90's that I have used for decades now. The pockets are ripping and after 30 years I simply want to jump into the current millennium!

After reading about and looking at the current vests and ya'll's thoughts about them I still feel unsure what to get. I hunt in Southern Maryland where turkey season can be quite warm and muggy. Where I hunt there are deep ravines that I need to cross, and many times slip on. Poison ivy, mountain laurel, multifloral rose, greenbrier, and other thorny brambles are everywhere. Secure pockets are probably one of the most important things, as I don't want to take a chance of losing a couple fairly expensive pot/box calls. I'm willing to spend some money, but not breaking the bank. I actually looked at the new Sitka vest, even though I own nothing else by them, but they are sold out and $250 seems a bit pricy, BUT if it is truly worth it as a long-term investment it will be in the running.
Here are the key characteristics I want:
1. Two pot call pockets (preferably snap or zippered being I slip and climb over things a lot and don't want them falling out.
2. Pocket for box call that is also enclosed so it won't fall out.
3. Pockets for strikers and mouth calls.
4. Has a seat. I do have individual seats that I use during deer season though.
5. Room for a foldable decoy with stake.
6. Place for water bottle(s)

Thanks for any insight!!

Wigsplitter

Grounded turkey vest - have held up so far for me with and has all the criteria- worth a look - and has a great seat

Ozarks Hillbilly

Nomad MG vest has worked well for me the last few years. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ranger

New vests would make you feel like you're in a spacesuit if you've had that for that long. I'd look for another vest on eBay that's simple and similar
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Aaron Johnson

justin.arps

I switched to this vest last year and love it very light and breathable, it's definitely worth A look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanders153

Quote from: Wigsplitter on March 30, 2022, 02:50:27 PM
Grounded turkey vest - have held up so far for me with and has all the criteria- worth a look - and has a great seat

Agreed.. You wouldn't be disappointed with the Grounded one

Archivist13

Will look into each of these. Thanks! It may feel like a space suit, but I'm looking forward to it. Never replaced my old one simply because it held up so long. That thing was built well. Definitely looking forward to a more practical vest though! One interesting thing is, that I can't find a whole lot of user reviews of the Grounded vest. Guess they haven't been paying off all the pros to get the buzz out?!

Tom007

Look at them all, try to put in on for fit and make sure the layout fits your personal hunting style. There are a lot of great options mentioned above, along with others. Good luck....

G-dub

I have really enjoyed my Grounded vest as well.  The magnetic cushion is quick and easy.  Well laid out and has a ton of storage, which could be a negative if you fill it up like i did!   ::)

Archivist13

Grounded is definitely first in the running. My only concern after watching and reading a bunch of user experiences is the top strap having issues. Sounds like it is a known issue, and the upcoming version will have that problem taken of. No idea when that new version will make its appearance so not sure if it is worth waiting for or taking a gamble and hoping mine works as is.

timberjack86

You wanna sell that old vest? I'm interested in it.

Archivist13

Quote from: timberjack86 on March 31, 2022, 08:15:24 PM
You wanna sell that old vest? I'm interested in it.

Thanks for the interest, but I have already promised my nephew that he could have it being he is just starting to get into turkey hunting.

Gooserbat

I like the Grounded vest.  It's not cheap but it seems like a great product. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

lunghit

Also check out the Nomad Killing Time vest. Bought mine the end of last season and only had a few hunts with it but what a great vest. Checks all your requirements and is so much better than my old vest. There is a good review on this vest on Youtube.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"