OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tight choke with TSS

Started by kytrkyhntr, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

I have an old mossberg I always shot hevi 13 out of, it's got a jebs .655 in it and it's always been a great gun. I shot federal TSS 3" in it the last 2 years and it's been even better. Even with that tight constriction. However this year I got some apex and the box says nothing tighter than .660. I know it's not a huge difference but is this recommendation a safety thing or is it a suggestion for results? I know a tight choke can blow the pattern out. But I was just wondering. I have more open options if need be im just curious.

I know you think it's over kill. That isn't what I'm asking about...
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Chief Razor

I know with my gun shooting Apex it likes a more open choke. The tighter chokes seem to blow the pattern out. The more open constriction gives a more even and consistent pattern. Now thats in a 20 gauge. Ive never used TSS in a 12 but would imagine all things being equal it would be the same.

StickString96

I shoot Federal TSS from my 12 ga with a .655 choke. I know that's not really what you are asking, but might offer some guidance. Could always try it and see.

kytrkyhntr

Yes, I actually have been shooting federal tss though that choke for 2 years. I have come across some apex which is supposed to be better but the box advises to shoot nothing tighter than .660

kytrkyhntr

Dtrkyman

Not likely to be unsafe...but a cheap .660 and compare...most chokes shoot TSS well, pretty forgiving stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Pattern 1 shell and find out for sure. No way to know unless you try it. It's just 1 shell.

Marc

Quote from: Chief Razor on March 29, 2022, 07:30:49 AM
The tighter chokes seem to blow the pattern out. The more open constriction gives a more even and consistent pattern. Now thats in a 20 gauge. Ive never used TSS in a 12 but would imagine all things being equal it would be the same.

Maybe, but not necessarily...  The 20 gauge is a smaller bore, and I have found that shooting steel, it reacts quite differently to choking than does a 12 gauge.

I have never shot TSS, but I know with steel, that a modified shoots a tighter pattern in the 12 gauge than do more open chokes, but in the 20 gauge, a modified will give worse patterns than more open chokes...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.