turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will they stay in field?

Started by jhoward11, March 28, 2022, 07:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

Have you all noticed this? I live in mid west, where farmers spread turkey crap (from turkey barns) on the fields for fertilizer. Once they do this, seems like the birds disappear. Sometimes not to re-appear. I still have a few weeks before season opens here. I have been watching a couple long beards from a distance in the morning/Evening. Now that they spread crap... haven't seen nor heard them for several days. Has anyone else seen this at all?

BBR12

Yep. I have seen chicken crap completely stop birds from using fields. I obviously don't have scientific data to prove my theory. However this block of woods always had birds and several flocks that would be in the fields. Very few turkeys left there now and the few that are Never come into the fields.

Meleagris gallopavo

Seen the same thing in NC. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

TonyTurk

I mean, if I could help it, I wouldn't walk around in a field full of crap.   ;D

Yoder409

But spread COW crap ????

Turkeys are like buzzards on roadkill for cow crap.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

2eagles

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 28, 2022, 07:43:44 PM
But spread COW crap ????

For undigested corn and other grains.

Yoder409

Quote from: 2eagles on March 28, 2022, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 28, 2022, 07:43:44 PM
But spread COW crap ????

For undigested corn and other grains.

Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

justin.arps

It's the same here when they spray the feilds before planting beans. You won't have birds in it for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

The warm lunch program here, manure from the cattle barn always goes out as soon as it's thawed enough, and it is a TURKEY MAGNET around here. It's the waste grain and then the bugs/insects/worms that get into it, they will also find the cow pies and flip them. I find a field that was just spread it's like finding the end of the rainbow.

MK M GOBL

jhoward11

I would love to spread cow crap in the fields. But I'm not the farmer! I seriously think they don't like eating their cousin's crap. I get it! May have to do with the ammonia??? Because the Turkey/chicken crap brings in more bugs, just like cow manure, so that's the only thing I can contribute it to. I have 30 days before season starts, fingers crossed they don't spray the danged old field with pesticide before then. DOUBLE WAMMY!!!!