OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using a flashlight

Started by GGman, March 27, 2022, 06:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGman

I usually go into the woods when it's still dark. Do any of you guys do that and use a small flashlight ? If so, does it scare turkeys ?----Also, does it work to go in when it's just barely getting light ?

joey46

We use small green lights if needed.  None if we can get by with not busting our butts in the dark.  Slipping in slowly in the just breaking dawn often works out just fine since we are often so much quieter.  Add - big difference if on private or public.  Good luck.

GobbleNut

When you get right down to it, this is a common-sense issue.  The considerations are such things as the light conditions you are walking under (full moon, no moon), the terrain type (flat, obstruction-free as compared to challenging topography with obstructions), and distance from the turkeys (and sight line to turkeys).

I can state for a fact that the folks that say they never use a flashlight going to turkeys on the roost are not hunting the same kind of country that I am hunting.  Doing that here would be a great way to end up with a broken body part or a poked-out eye.  On the other hand, though, is the understanding that once you get to a certain point in your approach, using a flashlight requires some level of discretion based on that "common sense" premise. 
If you are planning on walking right up to the tree the gobbler is in while shining your flashlight up at him, you might as well beat a drum and whistle dixie as you are doing it.  The results will be the same....   :angel9: :newmascot:

TRG3

I use a small green pen-type light pointed just in front of me and have set up my decoys within 30 yards of gobblers without knowing it until they sounded off near daylight.

Turkeyman

I have a cap which has two small LEDs under the bill. Only light projected is downward at your feet.

Tom007

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 27, 2022, 09:49:20 AM
When you get right down to it, this is a common-sense issue.  The considerations are such things as the light conditions you are walking under (full moon, no moon), the terrain type (flat, obstruction-free as compared to challenging topography with obstructions), and distance from the turkeys (and sight line to turkeys).

I can state for a fact that the folks that say they never use a flashlight going to turkeys on the roost are not hunting the same kind of country that I am hunting.  Doing that here would be a great way to end up with a broken body part or a poked-out eye.  On the other hand, though, is the understanding that once you get to a certain point in your approach, using a flashlight requires some level of discretion based on that "common sense" premise. 
If you are planning on walking right up to the tree the gobbler is in while shining your flashlight up at him, you might as well beat a drum and whistle dixie as you are doing it.  The results will be the same....   :angel9: :newmascot:

Dead on here. I use a very small mag light when I have to walking in thick cover in darkness. I hide it more in my hands keeping reflection to a minimum. It isn't worth poking out an eye trying to navigate through thick stuff in the dark. It's also nice to be able to flash at another hunter if he comes in behind you in the dark...

bigriverbum

:z-winnersmiley:

on a board where so many always speak in absolutes, you are the constant voice of reason 

Hobbes

I often have a headlamp in my vest but only use it when hiking a long way typically on a trail and nowhere near a roosting turkey.  It's rare that I move in close to a bird in the pitch black dark anymore. I seldom have a bird roosted so there's nothing for me to get to when it's that dark besides a listening spot.  If I do approach a bird when it's that dark , there's a reason, and it's not to point a flashlight around.

High plains drifter

No light.Go in pitch black, very early. That's the best way. Be very silent.

Greg Massey

Small led camo cap with the white and green lights ... i do carry a small pen light on my belt in a small holster.  I just use what light i think i need to navigate around the area i'm hunting... You have to remember your turkey hunting ... not coon hunting ... :OGturkeyhead:

shatcher

I'll do a quick shine at the base of the tree.  The last thing I want to do is sit on a copperhead.

30_06

As mentioned previously, I use one when needed and don't when unneeded.

Esse quam videri

simpzenith

I use a light only when necessary but when I start getting close to a roosted gobbler or in an area that a turkey could possibly be roosted, it's lights out. I may use a dim red light but if I can get by without any light source that last 75-100 yards, I will.

troutfisher13111

Same here, light if only absolutely have to. If I do, it's a penlight with a green bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treerooster

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 27, 2022, 10:50:21 AM

:z-winnersmiley:

on a board where so many always speak in absolutes, you are the constant voice of reason

This and this.

Sometimes I think some guys don't know what real dark is. I've been in some places where I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. No moon, dark clouds, and no ambient light from a nearby town. I also like the two ends of the day, dawn and dusk. Just like being out there then. I have been a mile from the truck 20 minutes AFTER sunset and walking away from it trying to roost a bird. I need a light to get back in the evening safely too.

The one thing I don't like is a light on a hat. Too hard to control it in a situation where I might want to point it at my feet and cover it with my hand a bit when somewhat close to roosted birds. I can shut the light off when needed.