OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using a flashlight

Started by GGman, March 27, 2022, 06:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurtaker

Green light as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait. He's coming!

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 27, 2022, 09:49:20 AM
If you are planning on walking right up to the tree the gobbler is in while shining your flashlight up at him, you might as well beat a drum and whistle dixie as you are doing it.  The results will be the same....   :angel9: :newmascot:

I've heard the Battle Hymn of the Republic works on southern birds. Puts them at ease because there ain't no way a Yank could kill a tough old southern gobbler! :goofball:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

2eagles

I hike in up to a mile on most of the public land I hunt. Darn right I use a light. There are multiple parking places to access those woods and I want someone to know I'm there. Then I "go dark " as possible the last few hundred yards.

WV Flopper

If you have hours to walk it may be different. My typical locations only require a half an hour walk, or less. There is usually plenty of light for me to get out of my truck, do my morning routine and get my eyes adjusted to the natural ambient light. Key

Maybe if you try being at your spot early, getting out the truck and just standing in the dark you'll find that your eyes will adjust to that light.

95% of the time when a turkey gobbles there is well enough light to see to navigate safely through the woods. Usually, they don't goblle in pitch black darkness, they are asleep.

I don't even have a light in my vest or pockets. Maybe I have good darkness eyesight? But, I suggest standing in the dark for awhile to allow your eyes to adjust. With the truck doors closed or course.

When your walking with your light on, you can't tell it's light enough to walk without. This sounds really stupid. But, I proved it to my BF on his son's youth hunt last year. Your eyes will adjust if you give them darkness. This was on an hour walk, well before daylight.

bowbird87

I carry a small keychain sized thrunite and a small green led hat light. I try to use both sparingly.

FullChoke

I use a small krypton flashlight to help me move through the woods quietly and negotiate water and mudholes. One thing that I do is to hold the flashlight by the aperture edge to reduce peripheral light and to point it on the ground just ahead of my feet. I will switch over to the red lights when I think I might be getting close and turn it off when I am within 200 yards of where I want to start the day.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mspaci

Just a sm green light if i really need it. Most times i do not

RutnNStrutn

I've got a green Stylus pen light, and a red single small bulb headlamp. I rarely use either one of them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

I prefer not to use a light, but most of my walk ins lately are in ankle deep water in cotton mouth country. So I use a light until I get close to where I want to set up.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Old Gobbler

.. the ones I hunt are so cagey that would be the end of the hunt before it even started if I was walking down the trail with a light ..in fact I don't even like using the headlights as I'm getting anywhere near my spots

With that said ... I grab those cheap or free with a coupon small led harbour Freight flashlights ..I take a red magic marker and color it red ...I'll use it in dire need ..like stooped down looking for a dropped item like pruning shears ..call and will shield the lens with my hand cupped over the lens
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Brillo

I don't see (pun) how a person can walk in dark woods without any light.  Maybe on a trail but that still seems risky. Safety first for me as I am almost always in a new spot on public.  Not bright light but some light. 

ChesterCopperpot

In the North Carolina mountains where I live and primarily hunt, I wear a headlamp for bears and steep terrain. In South Carolina, I wear a headlamp for hogs and burned out stump holes. I keep my head down, very dim red light, and I turn the lamp off if I need or want to look up. I prefer hands free on my gun and light where I'm looking in the event of bears or hogs. Have had coyotes and hogs both do odd things in the dark. Every time I was quite glad I could see them. If the moon's out and I can get by without, no lamp. Soon as the blue glow starts that hour or so before sunrise, no lamp. In all the years I've chased these birds, I can only recall two times a headlamp might've cost me a bird and truthfully it would've likely happened either way as I just walked unknowingly under roosted birds and they flew.

GGman

How about going in when it's "slightly" light out . Anybody here do this with success?

Meleagris gallopavo

I use the LED lights that clip on your hat bill.  I hate setting up and trying to get through thick brush when I can't see what I'm doing.  I don't think using a light has kept me from killing turkeys.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

aclawrence

Quote from: shatcher on March 27, 2022, 11:13:09 AM
I'll do a quick shine at the base of the tree.  The last thing I want to do is sit on a copperhead.
I do this a lot of times to. Maybe with just a red light but I like to know before I sit down. Mainly for hands if I'm setting stuff on the ground.