OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DIY Old School Mossy Oak Bottomlands hydro dip.

Started by Paulmyr, March 26, 2022, 03:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Hey guys just finished up hydro dipping and old beat up 1187 and a new stoeger 3020. I posted a write up in the How to's - DIY section. Here's a pic of the 1187. I'll post pics of the 3020 after a little wet sanding, some hand buffing, and assembly.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cowboy

Looks really good. I like it! Fine job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Oljamo

Osceola headhunter

the Ward

Looks good. What kind of prep was needed to do a home dip?

GobbleNut

Looks great!.  I'll have to check out your DIY to see if I want to give it a try.   :icon_thumright:

Chief Razor

Very nicely done. Anything about your process that you learned or would do differently on the next one?

Tom007

Paulmyr

Quote from: Chief Razor on March 27, 2022, 10:15:34 AM
Very nicely done. Anything about your process that you learned or would do differently on the next one?
Off of the top of my head, I wouldn't be so ambitious and stick to one gun at a time, or maybe just one part at a time at least through the base coat. I felt a little overwhelmed sometimes. After the blasting was done I kinda rushed through the priming process because I didn't like thought of the bare metal exposed to the elements. 

Also I would have bought some of the test blanks to practice and observe the hydration and activation process more before dipping the gun parts. The smallest length of film I could get was 3' by approximately 10'.
plenty of film for 2 guns and few test runs.

I'll think a little more on it and let you know if I come up with anything.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

I'd like to add that this particular base coat has a 6+ month dip window after being applied. You just need to be careful and not bang the parts on anything until you can get some clear coat applied after the dip.

Paulmyr

Brillo