turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oldest Capture Hen in Pennsylvania

Started by Greg Massey, March 25, 2022, 11:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

The Pennsylvania Game Commission captured an adult hen back on March 3, 2012 and was leg banded and recaptured Feb 2 , 2022. After comparing the data they estimated her age at 12.5 years old and still healthy. She was fitted this time with a GPS to monitor her future. On an average life expectancy is 1 to 3 years. Just Amazing ...

Nate

:That is way cool, can't imagine what that ole gal has seen, not to mention how many points she's raised.

Zobo

That takes raspy old hen to a new level. Wonder what she sounds like.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

simpzenith

Quote from: Zobo on March 25, 2022, 11:31:45 PM
That takes raspy old hen to a new level. Wonder what she sounds like.

I would imagine that she doesn't sound any more raspy than normal. It's typically the juvenile hens that have that very course and raspy yelp.

Tom007

guesswho

Dang, I bet she could tell some stories.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

quavers59

Alot of Hens today seem a bit smaller that ones,I have killed back in the late 1990s.  That means they were Older too. My Brother  in Law killed a huge Hen back in those years that was absolutely  Ugly. She must have been at least 5 years old and probably  older. These Hens easily went 12+lbs.

Yoder409

They shoulda wrung her neck on the spot.

SHE'S the one that's been dragging gobblers the other way and screwing me up for the last 11 springs !!!    :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Brian Fahs

I hunt a piece of public in Pennsylvania that always has a hen or small group of hens that are very visible and roost very consistently in the same spot. They have lead to the demise of  a bunch of gobblers for me and my buddies over the years. I can't say for sure it's the same hen but have to believe it's a family group.

Dtrkyman

Need more of those old hens, with the poor poult to hen ratios recently they need all the help they can get!

grayfox

tal

They're capable of living that long but very few do. A "generation" in turkey time is about 4 years.

Beards and Hooks

That is awesome Greg, wonder where in Pa. that's where I am

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

mikejd

Smart old bird right there.  She probably laughs at coyotes.

Chief Razor

Incredible to hear about one living that long in the wild. I would assume that she is the exception to the rule.