OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iowa and Subgauges/shot restrictions. New rules for 2023

Started by btomlin, March 24, 2022, 01:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

It looks like Iowa has got on board with the subgauges and tss size shot.   New law was signed by Governor today.  New reg will go into effect July 1, 2022!  Have to wait 1 more year.

Article found on Iowa Firearm Coalition page.

Dtrkyman

Cool, guess I decided to draw a year too early!  I had to trade some 9s for 7.5s recently.

Iaguntrader

If you read the law as it was signed it looks like the shot size change only applies to the .410 and 28 ga. I may not be reading it correctly and they may change the shot size for everything but right now I don't think that is what this law does.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/perma/032420228701

It is still progress though.

Doesn't look like a single legislator voted against it in the house or senate. The IDNR was undecided in their lobbyist declaration which looking at their declarations this year it's either For or Undecided, maybe Undecided is their polite no.

The Isaac Walton League of Iowa and the Iowa Conservation Alliance were against it. I wish they provided reasoning from the lobbyist on why the group they represent is for/against a bill.

TurkeyReaper69

I'll be in Iowa this year, even if I happen to be stopped by a game warden what is the possibility he'd ask about my shot size? I have no problem bringing my longbeard XRs just curious. I feel like a GW has to be having a real bad day to care about such a thing in pertaining to turkey hunting.

Iaguntrader

I've never been stopped by a game warden in several years of hunting public land during turkey season. Seldom even see them.

However, having said that they do have an auction every year with confiscated guns and bows.

Dtrkyman

With the popularity of hand loads they may well check?

I have legal loads but being hand loads he would have to take one home and cut it open to measure the shot, then pay me 10 bux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greencop01

Remember a violator has to be lucky every day, a Game Warden only has to be lucky once. And he is paid to enforce the law. I hope when they check someone they check for all violations. Doesn't mean they have to issue fines for violations, there are Written Warnings. They have a tough job, and most I've met have been courteous and friendly. Just think, everyone they meet are armed, and not everyone conduct themselves with firearms safety in mind. If we don't care for the laws write or talk ro your legislators. Good Luck to everyone this season!
:z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

2eagles

Hopefully by the time the 2023 hunting regs are printed and put online, the question about legal shot size will be answered. Unfortunately we are relying on people who know practically nothing about guns and hunting to write the laws.

A couple of years ago, I was at my truck when the warden pulled up. He was a friend of my policeman son and knew me rather well. We chatted a few minutes and I asked him if he'd like to check my license. He replied "It is my job."  Somehow that make me laugh the whole time I was digging out my license. I don't remember if I even saw a turkey that day, but I'll always remember the laugh.

Happy

I ran into one last year on our club and pulled over to chat with him. We talked for a bit and he never even asked to see anything. I asked why that was and he just chuckled and said if I was feeling guilty about anything I probably wouldn't have stopped to chat.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: greencop01 on March 25, 2022, 09:02:27 AM
Remember a violator has to be lucky every day, a Game Warden only has to be lucky once. And he is paid to enforce the law. I hope when they check someone they check for all violations. Doesn't mean they have to issue fines for violations, there are Written Warnings. They have a tough job, and most I've met have been courteous and friendly. Just think, everyone they meet are armed, and not everyone conduct themselves with firearms safety in mind. If we don't care for the laws write or talk ro your legislators. Good Luck to everyone this season!
:z-twocents:
This is true.  I worked part time as Deputy Game Warden for several years back in the early 1990's here in Pennsylvania.  The vast majority of fellows I ran into were just out having a good time hunting and not breaking any laws.  You got a feeling either way as soon as you approached them.  However every once in a while you ran into that one.......
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!