turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Issue with Longbeards not cycling in Franchi

Started by sixbird, March 19, 2022, 01:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Not sure what happened to my post on this but first I was locked out of answering the replies. Now it doesn't even show in my post log.
Anyway, thanks for the replies.
To sixer (last post), yes, other shells DO cycle. BUT, Longbeards pattern so well that I hate to give up on them.
Franchi says Longbeards can be, well, too long. They said some people grind a little off the crimp end of the shell and that has solved the issue.
The other solution seems to be taking a small amount of material off of the shell stop on the trigger assembly. I may try that.
In any event, thanks for replies. This forum is a great resource.

Cutt

I know when I was using my 11-87 and Hevi-13 for several years, never had an issue. Then decided to use longbeards one season and had troubles with cycling. Got to the point it would jam, and had to replace the carrier latch which was bent, which I contributed to the Longbeards, being they were a bit longer. Once I got it fixed never used Longbeards again in it, and had no issues.

I now use a 20ga. with TSS, but my back up is my 11-87 with Hevi-13, instead of Longbeards.

Tom007

Wish they would bring back the Winchester Extended Range Elite. They were the best shells Winchester ever made. These Longbeards are getting me nervous. Too many bad reports on them.
"Solo hunter"

Cottonmouth

Quote from: Tom007 on March 19, 2022, 05:19:59 PM
Wish they would bring back the Winchester Extended Range Elite. They were the best shells Winchester ever made. These Longbeards are getting me nervous. Too many bad reports on them.
Loved those shells! I still have a few #5 &6 in the 3".

Louisiana Longbeard

I know of a guy that bought 2 brand new semi auto Franchis for him and his son to duck hunt with. They would hang up every hunt. Needless to say, he sold both and bought Benelli super black eagles

Jim K

I have a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge. I can't shoot federal tss shells in it. It won't cycle them. Apex are about 3/16" shorter and cycle fine.

Trkmaster88

Quote from: Jim K on March 22, 2022, 10:26:58 AM
I have a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge. I can't shoot federal tss shells in it. It won't cycle them. Apex are about 3/16" shorter and cycle fine.

Just curious... is it hard/stiff to load shells in your mag tube? Federal TSS would hang up after being released from the mag tube. Carrier latch was pushing it against the side of the receiver.

Jim K

It is a little hard but doesn't bother me. When I shoot federals( which shoot real good out of my gun), the empty ejects but the second shell drops into the bottom of the receiver. I just shoot apex and really like the gun.