OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good 'affordable' red dot sight

Started by tbowers, March 16, 2022, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbowers

Whats a good sub $100 red dot sight option? I know Amazon sells ones for $30-40 which I'm sure will never stand up to the recoil of a shotgun but I'm not really in a place to drop $200 on a Burris fastfire or Vortex Venom either.

Guessing I would need to buy a picatinny rail as well, or maybe they come with one standard?

ChesterCopperpot

Muzzy61

I've had good luck with the Bushnell TRS-25.  Had one on top of my 835 shooting 3.5" shells for the last 4 years with no issue.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

btodd00

I have a sight mark mini shot A spec that has been pretty tough, I got it for 80 bucks on sale. Looks like they are still only $99. Ive also had a tru Glo Tru Brite that was less than $100 and has also been on multiple guns with no issues, it is crazy bright and has a lot of adjustment and dot options built in. It is on my AR right now and has took thousands of shots with no issues

tbowers

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 16, 2022, 10:54:04 AM
The Bushnell RXS-100 is about $100 and it's a fine red dot. https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-RXS100-Reflex-Sight_RXS100/dp/B08DL8M2PB/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?keywords=bushnell+red+dot&qid=1647442397&sr=8-16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice, i havent seen that one before. I've had decent luck with Bushnell rangefinders so maybe I'll try this

USMC0331

TRS 25

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

tbowers

Quote from: btodd00 on March 16, 2022, 11:07:32 AM
I have a sight mark mini shot A spec that has been pretty tough, I got it for 80 bucks on sale. Looks like they are still only $99. Ive also had a tru Glo Tru Brite that was less than $100 and has also been on multiple guns with no issues, it is crazy bright and has a lot of adjustment and dot options built in. It is on my AR right now and has took thousands of shots with no issues

Is this the Tru Glo one you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-TruBrite-Multi-Reticle-Dual-Color-Sight/dp/B00BXOD630?th=1

tbowers

Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 16, 2022, 10:55:06 AM
I've had good luck with the Bushnell TRS-25.  Had one on top of my 835 shooting 3.5" shells for the last 4 years with no issue.

Are there advantages/disadvantages to having a 'tubular' style red dot like the TRS 25 versus the open have circle style of the RXS100?

btodd00

Quote from: tbowers on March 16, 2022, 11:19:19 AM

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-TruBrite-Multi-Reticle-Dual-Color-Sight/dp/B00BXOD630?th=1

Yes, I've had it for awhile. Built very well, battery lasts forever (I always forget to turn it off), has been on 12g, 410 and now an ar. It is not as compact as other options but for the price, it has gave me zero issues

The only reason I bought the sight mark is because the Tru Glo was bulky on my little 410

RED NECK

The Bushnell trs-25 is a solid red dot for a "tube" style, and the Bushnell Rxs-100 is a great reflex red dot sight, I have 2 of each and like both. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either for a turkey gun.

I am a Bushnell fan, I had an issue with a 20 yr old scope and they replaced it with a $350 dollar scope,no questions. I use their scopes(circle x plex) and red dots on my turkey guns.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

grayfox

Quote from: tbowers on March 16, 2022, 11:19:19 AM

X2 on the Truglo. They do sit up a little high but for the money they are hard to beat.

tbowers

I read some old posts on pro/con of Red dot versus reflex...I think I'm leaning towards a reflex style- faster target acquisition at least in theory. The TruGlo is intriguing in that its $52 on Amazon! The RXS100 is double that although $100 still is a good price. Looks like I can get a Weaver mount for my gun for $8 so all in if I did the TruGlo it would be about $60.

tbowers

Quote from: tbowers on March 16, 2022, 12:42:25 PM
I read some old posts on pro/con of Red dot versus reflex...I think I'm leaning towards a reflex style- faster target acquisition at least in theory. The TruGlo is intriguing in that its $52 on Amazon! The RXS100 is double that although $100 still is a good price. Looks like I can get a Weaver mount for my gun for $8 so all in if I did the TruGlo it would be about $60.

One thing i just thought of is the difference in paralax...the TruGlo is good only up to 30 yds while the RXS100 is good up to 50yds.  I dont typically shoot much past 30 but I have killed a couple at 40-45yds so not sure how much the lack of parallax at the longer distances would be a issue

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.