turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cold Mornings & Hot Afternoons

Started by Dhamilton1, March 16, 2022, 08:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

WV weather is changing and we're getting into cold mornings (35 degrees) and hot afternoons (60-65 degrees) by noon. This can easily carry on through April into May (our spring turkey season).

For anyone that experiences this type of weather, how do you dress to stay warm early but not burn up later?

I personally run a K&H RNG 200 vest so not a lot of room to pack clothing that I may have to strip off when it gets too hot. I also hunt public land so I try to run as "bare minimum" as possible. (Still carry a good bit of stuff lol)

Happy

Merino wool shirt and a vest with a jacket to start out. Once it warms up I can shed the jacket and vest and store them in the back of my turkey vest.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Jmillwood21

I use puffy jackets and pants a lot.  They pack down small weigh nothing and are pretty warm. Great for long hiking days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Gobbie

Where I hunt, the temps are as you described. And I still haven't figured out how to manage it 100% successfully!

But I have found it most comfortable to use a base layers and with a lightweight fleece jacket. I carry a ball cap and a wool beanie.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Dhamilton1

Quote from: Master Gobbie on March 16, 2022, 08:59:09 AM
Where I hunt, the temps are as you described. And I still haven't figured out how to manage it 100% successfully!

But I have found it most comfortable to use a base layers and with a lightweight fleece jacket. I carry a ball cap and a wool beanie.
Any particular base layer you suggest? I know a lot of people like merino. I have some field and stream base layers but they're probably equivalent to a mid weight layer and get hot quickly when the temps start rising.

Dhamilton1

Quote from: Happy on March 16, 2022, 08:21:20 AM
Merino wool shirt and a vest with a jacket to start out. Once it warms up I can shed the jacket and vest and store them in the back of my turkey vest.
What weight merino do you like to run? Light or mid?

Hobbes

35 to 65 really isn't that bad.  A thin layer of synthetic or Merino wool thermals and maybe a jacket with possibly a hoody should take care of the cold.  If you need to strip some of that off, usually the jacket and hoody, and don't have room in your vest ......you need something with more space.  There is no magic bullet.  Use the 200 when the temps are warm enough to not need the jacket and hoody. 

Happy

I like midweight myself. Later in the spring I will go to a lighter one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Zip off base layers are nice, I tend to suffer through the cold in the morning so I am not carrying stuff all day if I am out long!

I love a frosty morning hunt, maybe not as good in the south but in the Midwest they will be tearing it up on those mornings!

Greg Massey

Has anyone tried the First Lite zip off Long John's or the Kuiu zip off Long John's ... Does anyone know of a different brand of the zip off Long John's where you don't have to remove your pants or boots ...? I was looking at these and was thinking it would be great for those mornings that are pretty cool or cold and as the day warms up you could remove them pretty easily. 

lacire

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 16, 2022, 11:09:36 AM
Has anyone tried the First Lite zip off Long John's or the Kuiu zip off Long John's ... Does anyone know of a different brand of the zip off Long John's where you don't have to remove your pants or boots ...? I was looking at these and was thinking it would be great for those mornings that are pretty cool or cold and as the day warms up you could remove them pretty easily.

I just bought the Kuiu zip off merino light weight bottoms a few weeks ago when they were on sale, (recommend by a forum member). I wore them for four days to get a feel for them and I think I'm going to like hunting in them. They come right to the top of my boot with no bare spot between them and the sock. They are easer to remove than to put back on but the zippers work great. One other thing, normally my long underwear are pretty form fitting, because of the material these are made from they fit looser to give you more movement without binding up. I have a 32" inseam and waist and I bought the mediums, perfect fit for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Mountainburd

There's a difference between 35° in the spring versus 35° in deer season. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I normally just wear a long sleeve camo T-shirt, hooded camouflage sweatshirt, and a light jacket. That's what I start the morning with when it's cold. And as the morning progresses, I shred the jacket and put it in my vest.

Those temperatures you gave are pretty much consistent with my state in the spring. To me that's actually perfect. I can't stand late in the season when it gets hot in the morning.

We had one opening week here about 4 to 5 years ago where I had to bust out the wool. High temperatures were in the high 20s to low 30s with nasty wind. It was awful.

Dtrkyman

I have the KUIU, really nice.  SKRE has some as well.

aaron

Layers.  Shed them and with the run and gun 200, use the cinch cord on the back of the vest to hold the layers you take off

bigriverbum

i don't have to worry too much about what i wear turkey hunting. i run hot, hot, hot. anticipation and excitement in the dark keep me warm enough to make it til it warms up

if it's early season and going to stay in the 40's i'll throw a banded pullover on under my turkey shirt

dealing with sub-zero temps for months makes anything over freezing feel like summer

that said, give me 15 degrees and calm over 32 and windy and humid