OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

States that do not allow #9 shot

Started by mcw3734, March 15, 2022, 02:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I believe my native state of New York still restricts shot size to #8 or larger.

What other states or provinces require #8, or larger, as a minimum for turkeys? Also, any areas have sub-gauge restrictions?

Thank you in advance!

joey46

Good question.  You are good with a .410 and 9s in Florida.  Used a 8 1/2 12 ga TSS load last Friday.  With TSS all bets are off but some states are stubborn.

Bowguy

NJ as well. I forget if it's NY or NJ since I actively hunt both states but don't use that size shot anyhow.
Couple years ago one of the fellas from the state shot 9s into ballastic gel as a test. He was impressed. Was supppsed to have meeting over it. Than Covid hit. Put the kabosh on everything. I'll see him tonight. Gonna see if he can renergize this

troutfisher13111

NY is 8 or bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleGitr

Iowa has a bill introduced to legislature to allow #9 shot, fingers crossed it will be data driven and make it through...until then restricted to 8's

rakkin6

You are good to go with #9 in both states I hunt, which is Kentucky and Tennessee.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

btomlin

Quote from: GobbleGitr on March 15, 2022, 07:35:27 AM
Iowa has a bill introduced to legislature to allow #9 shot, fingers crossed it will be data driven and make it through...until then restricted to 8's

I had not heard this.   Fingers crossed.  Hopefully they are considering the addition of sub gauges also. They need to get with the times.

Dtrkyman

Where are these states coming up with number 8s?  Not a common size at all, only available from custom ammo companies or hand loads.

I drew Iowa this year and had to get some shot to load, luckily I was able to trade for a small amount so I had a handful of rounds.

btomlin

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 15, 2022, 09:39:57 AM
Where are these states coming up with number 8s?  Not a common size at all, only available from custom ammo companies or hand loads.

I drew Iowa this year and had to get some shot to load, luckily I was able to trade for a small amount so I had a handful of rounds.

Iowa has been 4-8 shot for as long as I can remember and well before HVL/TSS shot.  I'm assuming the regs are based mainly on lead.  As I said in my prior post....it's time to get with the times.

albrubacker

Delaware is 4, 5, or 6. 7 are legal only when mixed with 4, 5 or 6.  :z-dizzy:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Loyalist84

Not a state, but Ontario is #7 or larger, and no gauge smaller than 20.

RiverBuck

Virginia: When using a shotgun it is unlawful to use or have in possession any shot larger than number 2 fine shot during spring turkey season.

Mallard1897

Connecticut is no smaller than #7-1/2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

No number 8 turkey loads existed until TSS.  There were some Federal 7.5 back in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highball