OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I found this comical

Started by Bowguy, March 13, 2022, 01:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I'm snowed in an bored as hell. Going through some you tube stuff and came across this. I figured it'd be a train wreck but watched to see what they'd say. He mentions the very first thing, your decoys have to be realistic. Now I've seen some pretty bad ones work but do these look realistic to you? Wow!!

https://youtu.be/tQq4IBL9mg4

Tom007

Yea, a bit lame looking......The new ones today look real good....
"Solo hunter"

Bowguy

The harder body ones look ok and I'm actually sure they both work it's just his comments to realism. What kind are the rougher looking ones?

Mallard1897

Some of the video comments gave me a good chuckle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Yea felt like I was listening to Biden. Says stuff that's so obviously off

Happy

I zone out as soon as i hear someone start talking about decoys. Let alone the whole"realistic" argument.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

It wasn't about the decoys bud, nor any actual interest in what he was saying. Like I said I expected a train wreck it just caught me off guard that was all.
It is interesting though to me where lines are drawn. Never heard no one comment about decoying waterfowl or even big game/varmints.
I don't see the issue. Myself I now use them. I'm deaf in one ear and can't see out of my previously dominant eye. Can't tell where a bird is gobbling at and dekes give me somewhere to focus towards. I personally don't use them for primary calling power. I wish I could just tell even a little bit which way a bird is. My girl often comes to help me roost if she's around.  Times I can feel them gobble they're so close but don't see them.
Now some  guys say things against dekes might use crossbows, traicams or bait in a deer season. They might feel a need to shoot long range at turkey, etc all that's worse and much less sporting to not sporting at all imo

Happy

No train wreck here. I personally have zero interest in them but I ain't gonna tell others what to do. I personally believe the whole "realistic" deal is more to attract customers than turkeys. I ain't the brightest but I do pay a little attention to things and I have noticed colors and shapes trigger birds more than "details". Heck, I have a mourning dove that is obsessed with one of my wife's coffee mugs. Its all about the color on that one.

Bowguy

I agree bud, like I said I use them primarily so I know where to look. I'm not a field sitter.

Happy

Hey, do what you enjoy. I am personally impressed by the way you have fought back and continue to hit the woods. A lot of people roll over and quit when they are faced with issues like yours. Much respect on that.

ol bob

If they had to look real, they would have never sold a funky chicken.

crow

Quote from: Happy on March 13, 2022, 03:22:42 PM
Hey, do what you enjoy. I am personally impressed by the way you have fought back and continue to hit the woods. A lot of people roll over and quit when they are faced with issues like yours. Much respect on that.

X2  :icon_thumright:

Bowguy

Quote from: Happy on March 13, 2022, 03:22:42 PM

Thank you bud, I appreciate that. An old guy once told me when he was a young man and had some issues, an old man told him, "Life is a series of adjustments". That's very true. We adjust the best we can and move forward

MK M GOBL

I do hunt decoys and have my set of "Rules to Hunting Decoys Right"

I went from the old foam Feather Flex Decoys right to DSD's, and I can tell you that the birds' interaction between the two is way different. The old foam would attract a bird "in-range" but my DSD's would cause birds to interact with them, want them to be right around / hang around with them. It's been a whole different game for me.

He makes a few good points too, some of what I go by when I am using them.

MK M GOBL

TurkeyReaper69

I think I just lost brain cells watching this, somehow I made it thru the whole video