OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

bell vs. no bell

Started by Brillo, March 12, 2022, 06:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

Some trumpets have a bell but others do not.  What is the sound/functional difference if any. 

ChesterCopperpot

All trumpets have a bell, not all yelpers do—that whole all trumpets are yelpers but not all yelpers are trumpets idea—but that's just syntax and I know what you're intending. Cool history in how the bell came to develop, but skipping all that, it most assuredly alters the tone and directional qualities of sound. The bigger thing, though, it allows for a pile more modulation to that sound. Simply put, you can do a whole lot more with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler-one

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 12, 2022, 07:11:01 PM
All trumpets have a bell, not all yelpers do, but that's just syntax and I know what you're intending. Cool history in how the bell came to develop, but skipping all that, it most assuredly alters the tone and directional qualities of sound. The bigger thing, though, it allows for a pile more modulation to that sound. Simply put, you can do a whole lot more with it.

I wish you hadn't skipped all that. :) I don't believe I have ever heard how the bell came to be developed, but I sure would like to. or pointed in the right direction to read and learn about it. Great explanation by the way, I was just intrigued by the bell development.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Gobbler-one on March 13, 2022, 12:02:49 AM
I wish you hadn't skipped all that. :) I don't believe I have ever heard how the bell came to be developed, but I sure would like to. or pointed in the right direction to read and learn about it. Great explanation by the way, I was just intrigued by the bell development.
I'll likely butcher parts of this and if so I hope others will add to it, but Turpin is who is most often attributed the development of the bell, and I would argue rightfully so. One could argue some of the Roanokes (not a trumpet) had a slight bell shaped taper and there were some mail order calls with that shape, but here's why Turpin gets the credit.

The typical yelper evolution goes wingbone (thousands of years old) and then the next step is a toss up with Roanokes and Jordans (also not trumpets) both coming late 1800s. I tend to lean Roanoke here and so in my mind wingbone, Roanoke, Jordan with no connection existing that we know of between Roanokes and Jordans or Roanokes and what comes next.

What happens next, though, and what's our purpose of conversation here, is Turpin discovers plans for one of Charles Jordan's three piece cane calls in an issue of Field and Stream. This is nineteen teens. Turpin starts fooling with the dimensions and doesn't exactly love it, thinks something might be off, actually manages to track down an original late 1800s call that belonged to Jordan and borrows it. He models what comes after to these segmented dimensions and likely internals. He makes some traditional Jordans but then here's where the development comes. Instead of cutting and fitting cane to form the three piece construction he turns the barrel and throat sections from wood. He also uses a .22 Savage casing to fit the throat to the mouthpiece. What we get is a short three piece construction like a Jordan but with a turned barrel and flared bell, as well as the casing which is the first step in design toward ferrules. They call these 1917 style calls. Jump forward a few years to say 1920 and Turpin removed the mid section altogether running his taper straight from barrel to throat. Now you're basically at a modern trumpet in a lot of ways with a turned barrel that has a flared bell, brass casing ferrule, and mouthpiece. These calls are still very short and quick with lengths still in that Jordan range. But what comes after is really just the lengthening and dialing of that call in my mind.

You get to something like the Davis style calls and they're really just lengthening that 1920 Turpin design, stretching out and altering those internals. I think Turpin gets the credit, one, because it's documented, and, two, because he not only develops the bell but also what becomes the ferrule. Before that it was just thread wraps and glue.

One thing I've always been curious about is how style of play developed. I'd really like to know when that choke hold, finger stoppering the bell, two hand method developed because that's the other thing the bell does; the bell lends itself to that style of play. That's not how you play a Jordan. That is on the other hand the best way to play Roanokes. This left me also really curious whether Turpin would've been familiar with or ever held a Roanoke style call and most historians think that wasn't real likely, or at least that it didn't play a major role in the development of his design.

Long winded, and only really interesting to a few probably, but personally I think it's just neat as hell.

Badger

Thanks, I found this very interesting.

EZ

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 08:13:22 AM
I think Turpin gets the credit, one, because it's documented, and, two, because he not only develops the bell but also what becomes the ferrule. Before that it was just thread wraps and glue.

Very good explanation, David. I will note that in his book, The wild Turkey and its Hunting, Edward Avery McIlhenny notes Jordan's description of his cane yelper as "Then a nice nickel-plated ferrule or thimble is fitted on the cane to prevent splitting, and the sloping end is wrapped with silk", so I'm not sure you can give Turpin credit for the ferrule.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 09:16:19 AM
Very good explanation, David. I will note that in his book, The wild Turkey and its Hunting, Edward Avery McIlhenny notes Jordan's description of his cane yelper as "Then a nice nickel-plated ferrule or thimble is fitted on the cane to prevent splitting, and the sloping end is wrapped with silk", so I'm not sure you can give Turpin credit for the ferrule.
Good point! You're absolutely right, Tony. My personal bias probably tried to take as much credit away from Jordan as I can , and it actually has nothing to do with Jordan but my disdain of McIlhenny! So maybe casings as ferrules to Turpin, but the ferrule itself to Jordan.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 09:27:53 AM
Good point! You're absolutely right, Tony. My personal bias probably tried to take as much credit away from Jordan as I can , and it actually has nothing to do with Jordan but my disdain of McIlhenny! So maybe casings as ferrules to Turpin, but the ferrule itself to Jordan.

This made me start thinking about who used Ivory as a mouthpiece first. My research points to Tom Turpin, wondering if anyone has any information that might shine a light on this.

EZ

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 09:27:53 AM

And I make my "Jordan style" yelpers with a rifle casing. Maybe I should call it Jordan-Turpin style, lol.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Chris Brumfiel on March 13, 2022, 09:35:41 AM
This made me start thinking about who used Ivory as a mouthpiece first. My research points to Tom Turpin, wondering if anyone has any information that might shine a light on this.
No Jordans exist with ivory mouthpieces and I've never seen or heard of a Roanoke with one (the whole concept of a Roanoke being centered around the use and fragility of a hen bone mouthpiece), so I'd say you're right.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 09:35:59 AM
And I make my "Jordan style" yelpers with a rifle casing. Maybe I should call it Jordan-Turpin style, lol.
I like that, Tony! And here's what I love most about what you do and why I think your work is important. Most folks are making Jordan-STYLE calls. They're not making Jordans. Me and you are together on this, that the second you move away from the cane construction and into turned wooden segments you've butchered the history. Maybe butchered is a strong word, but you've simplified and taken away from what makes true Jordans so hard to get exactly right: the inconsistency of cane. It takes a great deal of skill to tune something that inconsistent. You can alleviate all of that with drill presses and turning. That to say, thanks for keeping the history alive.

ol bob

I have had the honor of holding, and playing a real Jordan, and it had a very nice ferrule on it. As far ivory I've also seen a very early Turpin with a ivory mouth piece.

EZ

Hey, if the American Indians had a lathe, maybe they wouldn't have used wingbones, lol. Most of the stuff throughout history was based on a need and develope with what materials and technology they had (or didn't have) at the time.

tal

If they had a compound bow and a lathe we would all be wind talkers.  :laugh:
Good thread

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ol bob on March 13, 2022, 10:11:35 AM
I have had the honor of holding, and playing a real Jordan, and it had a very nice ferrule on it. As far ivory I've also seen a very early Turpin with a ivory mouth piece.

The earliest one that I've seen was made in 1945 by Tom. I've never held one, let alone play one. Maybe one day.