turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Loading Shells

Started by PapaDuck47, March 12, 2022, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaDuck47

I didn't see a thread on this and I am interested in starting to load my shells. I am not asking for anyones recipe but just some tips that you have discovered along the way. I am also have a hard time finding hulls if anyone has a lead on that I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any info also if you don't want to post just shoot me a message.

davisd9

Good luck on your search but now is not the time to look for components. Getting components is easier from June to December but recently even that has been a hunt within itself
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

PapaDuck47

I have found pretty much everything except hulls. Can you use once fired hulls? I mean I know you would need new primers but didn't know how much luck folks have had with once fired hulls.

crow

Dave Owens on youtube has a good Tss instructional

I use once fired with no issues

DMTJAGER

I've been reloading EVERYTHING but shotgun for 30++ years now, but I do own 4 inline ML's all use 209 shotgun primers so I own a butt load of 209's.
I will have to say you should be able to buy all you need BUT primers and possibly shot.
Finding primers for the last 18 or so months has been 10x harder than I ever imagined it could ever possibly be in my worst expectations.

I must caution you as strongly as possible to look out for scam websites selling primers and powder there seems to be absolutely no end to them in number.

If they advertise multiple sizes of primers or popular powders like Varget or IMR 4064 in stock 95-98% chance its a scam website. If you do find primers in stock expect to pay at least from .10c-.12c a primer or over $50 for 500 and over $500 for 5k.

Last time I bought 10k primers on line from Powder Valley I paid before hazmat IIRC $160 per 5k.

Best of luck.

PapaDuck47

Crow I assume you have to trim those once fired hulls?

dzsmith

Quote from: PapaDuck47 on March 13, 2022, 06:14:51 PM
yes you do. It would be difficult , to use a once fired hull unless you were buying once fired hulls that were already longer than what you need to cut them to .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

crow

Quote from: PapaDuck47 on March 13, 2022, 06:14:51 PM

I am roll crimping only,

If reloading a fired hull for an old gun with a 2 5/8ths chamber , I trim the hull.
"     "      "   a fired 3 or 3.5" hull for a 2.75" gun, I trim them.

if reloading a 2.75" fired hull for a 2.75" gun, I heat the end of the hull, shape it back open with a wooden dowel, seat a primer, load and roll crimp.

if the hull gets a split end of hull, they get trimmed shorter for the old gun

btodd00

I just did my first batch of 410 number 10's this week. I used once fired hulls, here are my observations from someone new to it 

some components are hard to find
the little wads are hard to get into a once fired shell, messed up a few trying to figure out how to open up the top of once fired hull enough for wad
mylar is hard to work with in such a small wad
how hard it is to find #10 tss when spilled
I would rather not reload once fired hulls until I get a little more experience

I have some 410 hulls on backorder from ballistic products, it took awhile to get powder but found it on gun broker pretty easily. I had 209 shotgun primers because I use them in a muzzleloader but all the other components were easy to find.

I did reload 2 hulls that were previously star crimped, those were the ugliest roll crimps I've ever seen. I have a precision reloading roll crimp tool and it worked well on the once fired roll crimped shells

I reloaded all the once fired hulls I have, hopefully that gets me by until some new hulls come in

PapaDuck47

Quote from: btodd00 on March 16, 2022, 01:58:36 PM
I just did my first batch of 410 number 10's this week. I used once fired hulls, here are my observations from someone new to it 

some components are hard to find
the little wads are hard to get into a once fired shell, messed up a few trying to figure out how to open up the top of once fired hull enough for wad
mylar is hard to work with in such a small wad
how hard it is to find #10 tss when spilled
I would rather not reload once fired hulls until I get a little more experience

I have some 410 hulls on backorder from ballistic products, it took awhile to get powder but found it on gun broker pretty easily. I had 209 shotgun primers because I use them in a muzzleloader but all the other components were easy to find.

I did reload 2 hulls that were previously star crimped, those were the ugliest roll crimps I've ever seen. I have a precision reloading roll crimp tool and it worked well on the once fired roll crimped shells

I reloaded all the once fired hulls I have, hopefully that gets me by until some new hulls come in

Did you try and straighten out the hulls with a dowel rod and a little heat? I read somewhere about guys doing that? I really wanted new hulls but can't find them either.

btodd00

I was nervous to put heat on the hull so I heated up a ratchet extension a little and rotated it around the hull opening at an angle to help open it up

crow

Go on youtube and search "removing fold crimp from plastic hulls"
click on the one from "the Idahoan"

Do this with UnPrimed hulls. I use a Bic lighter, it doesn't take long to warm it up, Keep spinning the hull as you warm it.

After heating, slide a wood dowel that you tapered only the first inch so it will start to fit the opening.
Flare the open end of hull out just a hair, slide the dowel all the way in.

I use a solid medal "dowel" on the outside of the hull to push against the wood dowel inside to smooth the crease from the fold crimp smooth. If the hull cools before your done just reheat it

Take 1 old hull to practice on, doesn't take long to warm it enough to smooth it out.
If you ruin several hulls getting the feel of how long to warm it, no big deal.

use that hull to practice trimming the melted end off and keep practicing heating that hull.

As far as just trimming the hull shorter to reload, I have 1 gun that won't shoot a good pattern with a shell that is even a little shorter than normal.  Most guns won't be that finicky, but before loading a bunch you might want to pattern a couple to test .

Jstocks

Quote from: PapaDuck47 on March 12, 2022, 01:42:50 PM
I didn't see a thread on this and I am interested in starting to load my shells. I am not asking for anyones recipe but just some tips that you have discovered along the way. I am also have a hard time finding hulls if anyone has a lead on that I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any info also if you don't want to post just shoot me a message.

Which hulls you looking for?