OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#7 TSS

Started by zelmo1, March 09, 2022, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Anybody shoot #7 TSS?, any gauge. O shot #7 Federal Heavyweights in the past, but never in the 18 g/cc shot. I am going to shoot my 28 ga, so I am going to try the IC 525 and 520. Any info or pattern pics will be appreciated . Thanks, Al

btodd00

I shot the #7 heavyweights out of my 20g when i first swapped to it from a 12 and never thought there would be anything better. Then went straight from that to a 410. Never tried the tss #7 but I would think they would work great

turkeymanjim

20 gauge benelli cordoba, sumtoy 562 choke tube, federal tss #7 at 40 yards on rangefinder.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Shoot #8 if you want a magnum pellet.  I've used #8 and it's destructive.  It will give you a much better pattern density (the point of using tss)  and hit like little Thor hammers.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

Quote from: turkeymanjim on March 09, 2022, 08:41:50 AM
20 gauge benelli cordoba, sumtoy 562 choke tube, federal tss #7 at 40 yards on rangefinder.

Killer combo, right there !!!  Not much will walk away from THAT !!!

Those 18g pellets oughta give exit wounds on a coyote at 40 yards !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RED NECK

I shoot #7 tss from a few of my 20 gauges and have had no issues killing toms. If by law I was able to shoot smaller size,I would but I have no issues out to ranges we dont speak of on here and pattering.All my toms have been within 35 yards so far with tss #7 20 gauge. I could have shot the birds with lead 6's.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

I would try and post a few pics but I am on a cell and honestly, there is no way for me to figure that out until next week when I am home.Ill try then.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Hobbes

I would only shoot #7 if required by law or I just wanted to.  Besides that TSS definitely doesn't have to be that big. 

PalmettoRon

If you can legally shoot smaller TSS shot, do so. #9 or even 9.5 throws an even denser pattern and it's definitely heavy enough to cleanly kill. I've been killing birds using my .410 and 28 the last 3 years using #9 and 9.5 TSS. It's some very lethal stuff.

Sungrazer

I'm curious as well, swore I'd never pay for TSS but found a bargain on some Browning #7 TSS I could not pass up. Will be LBXR #6 or #5 in short barrel and TSS #7 in the long barrel in my silver Eagle over/under. Going to pattern next week after I get my Dad's 12ga. Wingmaster patterned.

Uncle Tom

I shoot handloads TSS #9's out of a Stevens 301 20 gauge and get like 266 in 10 ring and 207 in the 20 ring....20 pellets in head/neck.....this at 40 yards. Only way a bird walks away from a swarm of TSS #9 pellets at 40 yards on out to at least 60 yards is you just flat out missed him. Not that I shoot ole Tom at 60 yards but I know that I could if I misjudged the range. That is what is your ace in the hole in using TSS....you have the confidence with every shot you take that it going to do its job at your given range.

zelmo1

Thanks guys. I do shoot #9's at home and my loads are fine. My biggest question is about choke on the bigger pellets. I will try the .525 IC first, then the .520.

reflexl

I have killed birds with 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8 and 7.
#8 is by far my favorite from 20 gauge and up and in the muzzle loaders shooting TSS.
In the .410 and 28 gauge I limit my shots to 40 yards so 9.5 or 9 get the nod for more pellets on target. Within 40 yards the usually blow through the skull.

Dtrkyman

I loaded some 7.5s for legality in a state I am hunting this year

20ga 1 5/8 oz.   Curious to see how they shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadbuck

Loaded some TSS 7 last night, along with some 8's and some 9's. The 7's really shine at longer distance, and killing the occasional coyote bobcat or hog